·
Registered
1,396 Posts
leave it stock size just buy better tire

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like the deep dish look of the rim, Now I dont have to go with a 20" rim but I like the deep dish look so something similar to that rim in look not necessarily size. Not sure if i want to go chrome though yet. LOL Id rather buy the Hahn turbo but im waiting for them to work the bugs out!

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
If you want to go 20", and I am assuming that you would keep the OD and width the same to avoid clearance issues, a 235/35-20 would fit, and there is a pretty good selection available in that size. The ride would certainly be rougher, and I personally don't see the point, but it would work. Have fun !

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was thinking about 20 inch rims too but check out the back tire lodge. The inside rubber that surrounds the tire has a part where it comes out leaving you with about an inch of room. I just saw that yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
That's why you would have to go to a lower profile: to keep the outside diameter the same as stock.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Heck, I would use stock size, BUT I would definitely would look for a better HP tire, I believe the stock tires are "all weather", whereas down here in florida it don't snow much. :D So I would look more for a specialty tire, highest high performance rating possible, not sure which maker, have not looked yet, (since they are still new), but I know when time to replace, won't be same tire--Down here it rains alot, so I would look for HP that will shed the water better than these hydro planing sets thats on there now. Anybody have any suggestions on make? Michelin? Good Year? Any other recommendations? I am curiuos--:confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I would go Michelin ....Skip...best wearing tire I have found....:lol: :)

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
Umm....aren't all-season tires actually less likely to hydroplane ? Most high-performance tires I've had experience with are only much good in the dry.

Seems to me the hydroplaning comes from having relatively wide tires on a relatively light car.

And, generally speaking, the better a tire wears, the less grip it has, wet or dry.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tire Performance Comparisons............

The Tire Rack web site (www.tirerack.com) has a survey rating section for all different types of tires for criteria including treads wear, handling, wet and dry performance, hydroplaning, etc... . These are results from actual users. I've used these rating charts when shopping for my last two sets of tires and I'm pleased with my results.

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
The only problem I have with user's reviews of things like tires, is that most users, myself included, do not use multiple tires under multiple conditions, so we have very little to base our comparisons on. Yes, we may think the tire is good or bad, or somewhere in between, but how good is good, and how bad is bad ? Unless you can do back-to-back testing, I think you are just guessing.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The only problem I have with user's reviews of things like tires, is that most users, myself included, do not use multiple tires under multiple conditions, so we have very little to base our comparisons on. Yes, we may think the tire is good or bad, or somewhere in between, but how good is good, and how bad is bad ? Unless you can do back-to-back testing, I think you are just guessing.
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I would go Michelin ....Skip...best wearing tire I have found....:lol: :)
I almost always agree with everything this Alabama ******* says. But, not now. And I may be all wrong. I'm biased about Michelin because of some tires I had on my motorhome. But, I still don't like Michelin. I still like Skip though, even if he does like Michelin.:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
I almost always agree with everything this Alabama ******* says. But, not now. And I may be all wrong. I'm biased about Michelin because of some tires I had on my motorhome. But, I still don't like Michelin. I still like Skip though, even if he does like Michelin.:)
Had those tires on my trucks and they still got tread after 50k miles. Hard as a rock though... Skip...:) :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The most recent time I've used the Tire Rack chart was for our '04 VUE where I discovered the OE tires were very suseptable to hydroplaning - both first hand experience and then in forums like ours. The VUE OE tires had very poor chart ranking in several areas. The tires I replaced them with had a very high ranking in all areas. Afterwards, the VUE handled these adverse conditions much, much better. I agree that unless you have a fleet of the same vehicle or rack up miles in a hurry, it is difficult to know what compares to what.

An engineers moto - In God we trust, all others bring data.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts