Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It don't matter my friend, we don't have any more Saturn sponsors, and never wil have any more.. post away..:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has happened before...

It is amazing the parrallels between our beloved sports car and another sports car from the past. Not many of us remember the Studebacker Avanti of the early 60's. There is a detailed story of the Avanti on Wikipedia, but here are a few excerpts:

"The Avanti's classic design originated in an intense five-week session in a rented house in Palm Springs, California near the home of lead designer Raymond Loewy with the team of Bob Andrews, Tom Kellogg, and John Ebstein...In the early 1960s, Studebaker needed some excitement in the showrooms, but because of its precarious financial situation had little capital to invest in product development...The Avanti was heavily promoted, and was named the Official (honorary) Pace Car of the 1962 Indianapolis 500 race...On December 9, 1963, Studebaker announced the end of car and truck manufacturing in South Bend, and the consolidation of all vehicle manufacturing in its Hamilton, Ontario, Canada plant. At that point, the company dropped the Avanti, the Gran Turismo Hawk, and all pickups and trucks in order to focus on sedans, coupes and station wagons. Only 4,643 Avantis (not including prototypes, some of which were assigned serial numbers at the end of the run) had been produced by the time Studebaker closed the South Bend factory on December 20, 1963."

For all of us wondering about our Sky's value, note that Avanits sold for about $4000 back in 1963 and now versions from that year sell in the low $20k. Also interesting to note that the Avanti tooling was spared and schemes by various people to produce more were undertaken. In truth, only time will tell what will happen to Kappa prices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmm

Maybe we'll all get lucky and have the last remaining skys then years down the road some nice collector will say hey theres only (insert number of skys left) I should get one.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Last day for Saturn of Lancaster,Pa 11/6/09.
BMW moving in.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finally got my Saturn letter from Jill yesterday.. Was not a happy day for me, very sad for the employees of Saturn and those at the Delaware plant for sure.. :(

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Finally got my Saturn letter from Jill yesterday.. Was not a happy day for me, very sad for the employees of Saturn and those at the Delaware plant for sure.. :(
Some good new to cheer you up........ :) I am driving down to FL on the 13th of November. Less then 3 weeks. Yahoo. Love to catch up with you, G8TR, and the Florida gang while we are in Orlando. Maybe we can all meet half way for breakfast/lunch/dinner.... Or all three...:lol: Yummy. see... some good news to cheer you up. (I think lol :D) T.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts