Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What Would You Do With RL Change Wise ?

IF I HAD ONE OF THESE CARS

1ST FIND A WAY TO CHANGE THE UGLY CHEAP LOOKING GREY ( how could they have missed this would such a nice car) PLASTIC VENT IN THE DOOR IT HAS TO GO

2nd find a way for better air flow if needed not sure until people dyno the car and make changes

3rd maybe change the mufflers for little more sound

thats about all i can see for now

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the side vent looks like there is no screws, when you open the hood and look down the fender,

there seems to be no screws holding the piece on looks like it would slide off not sure, hopefully you would not have to remove the fender to get at this. but it needs to be metal or chromed it makes a awesome car look a little cheap.

why would they spend so much time on a new car like this and then miss a minor flaw like this

are styling engineers this dumb or did they just have to cut corners its seems a little wacked to me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like the duals on the redline but not the square tips. Those are the first things I'm going to change.

·
Registered
351 Posts
the side vent looks like there is no screws, when you open the hood and look down the fender,

there seems to be no screws holding the piece on looks like it would slide off not sure, hopefully you would not have to remove the fender to get at this. but it needs to be metal or chromed it makes a awesome car look a little cheap.

why would they spend so much time on a new car like this and then miss a minor flaw like this

are styling engineers this dumb or did they just have to cut corners its seems a little wacked to me.
All of the fake vents including the side vent can be removed. The first photo is the hood vent and in the second photo the gray plastic is the blank that covers the side vent opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
after a stock dyno, I'd start with the air intake. I'm sure by the time mine comes around Kappasphere would have already released a dual horn CAI that fits the redline. Next, swap out the CAT for a high flow unit. Then most likely do the same with the muffler, and yeah........i do agree with Steve, the square exhaust tips don't look as good as the quad circular tips.

Once that's said and done, or perhaps in between each upgrade, i'd like to dyno it and see how much HP i'm actually gaining from each part.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Factory turbo timer. A couple times i have forgotten to let it cool down for a couple minutes after i park. I've gotta train myself to do this.

I'd like to see a pushbutton lock on the cup holder above the parking break, cause every passenger keeps hitting it open.

The dual exhaust could have been prepared alot better. The inside of the exhuast tips looked horrid.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Factory turbo timer. A couple times i have forgotten to let it cool down for a couple minutes after i park. I've gotta train myself to do this.

Are you saying you have to sit at idle for awhile before shutting engine down? Never had a turbo...:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I was told give it 2 minutes after you park before shutting down.
No offense but that sounds crazy--Once I'm at where I'm going, I will shut the sucker off. :D

Can I ask who told you this? and what it the purpose of waiting to get out? Sitting in the car for 2 minutes while us "regular" Sky guys head to bar, while you are in yours burning gas, makes no sense to me??:rolleyes:

A rational explanation would perhaps make me understand a little better of the "purpose" of going thru this "procedure"--

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
No offense but that sounds crazy--Once I'm at where I'm going, I will shut the sucker off. :D

Can I ask who told you this? and what it the purpose of waiting to get out? Sitting in the car for 2 minutes while us "regular" Sky guys head to bar, while you are in yours burning gas, makes no sense to me??:rolleyes:

A rational explanation would perhaps make me understand a little better of the "purpose" of going thru this "procedure"--
The reasoning behind waiting is that turbos run in excess of 10,000 rpm, they also get hot due to the high rpm, you need to avoid glazing and cooking the oil in the turbo ie.. engine not running no oil pressure to cool the turbo, then cooked oil :confused:

Note this is not that big a deal if you avoid running it hard just before shutting off, what is bad running it hard then just shutting it off :thumbs:

Easiest is just running normal the last few minutes before you arrive somewhere, then you can just shut it off, or you can buy a turbo timer....

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts

From the people who built the car? :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
actually if you run the car hard enough to need to do a turbo cool down with todays turbos you have quite a few other precautions to look at as well (ie not setting the parking brake). for the average driver, and this includes the driver who gets on it quite hard while driving to and form work, there really is no need for the turbo cool down time anymore. when you had the older turbos, even the early watercooled ones this was an issue. however the newer designs run much cooler and are designed to prevenent oil cooking. not to mention the much higher quality of oil that is used. to put it this way, the turbo has been ran on the 9-3SS since summer 2002, and we have yet to replace a turbo on a 9-3 Sport Sedan, ever.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes you HAVE to let the Turbo cool down, this is mandatory or you'll screw up the motor - been around Turbos since my mom had a '87 Buick Grand National in the early 90's.

And yeah on the newer turbos you have to let them cool off as well, got a LOT of frieds with "Newer Turbos" (EVO's and STi's) you still gotta let them cool off - just not as much.

Turbo Failure is NO fun.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
This is another difference like the break-in for a new car (drive it hard as usual or pamper it for 500 miles first). I have owned Saab Turbo's, Benz Turbo's and and others and pulled in turned the key off and walked away. The auto fan will turn on if need be and run until sensers turn the fan off. I have put loads of milage on every car and never had to have a motor overhauled.
:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
The reasoning behind waiting is that turbos run in excess of 10,000 rpm, they also get hot due to the high rpm, you need to avoid glazing and cooking the oil in the turbo ie.. engine not running no oil pressure to cool the turbo, then cooked oil :confused:

Note this is not that big a deal if you avoid running it hard just before shutting off, what is bad running it hard then just shutting it off :thumbs:

Easiest is just running normal the last few minutes before you arrive somewhere, then you can just shut it off, or you can buy a turbo timer....
Okiedookie, I git it, thanks--:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes you HAVE to let the Turbo cool down, this is mandatory or you'll screw up the motor - been around Turbos since my mom had a '87 Buick Grand National in the early 90's.

And yeah on the newer turbos you have to let them cool off as well, got a LOT of frieds with "Newer Turbos" (EVO's and STi's) you still gotta let them cool off - just not as much.

Turbo Failure is NO fun.
look argue all you want, but i'll stand by my statements. under normal street driving conditions, including hard romps, it is not an issue. the oil is better, the turbo construction is better, the heat buildup is better controlled, the materials used are better implemented to the conditions. a lot of the old rules no longer apply. the STi and EVO are not the same turbo, nor is their implementations similar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts