Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Personally, I would like to see the rear fenders stay intact. Attached, I have the concept of the Solstice coupe. I like how the C-pillars come in at an angle and retain the fenders; however, I think the rear window is too large which instills almost a hatch-like motif to it. I would like to see the rear window be a little smaller, like the Porsche Cayman I have attached :eek: . Anyone else?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
To be honest -- I'd rather NOT see a coupe. With both of the examples you show - you loose that great rear deck. If they were to "Coupe" it -- then just make a hard version of the convertible top. It would have to be modified a bit to allow usage of the trunk, but that is it

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
To be honest -- I'd rather NOT see a coupe. With both of the examples you show - you loose that great rear deck. If they were to "Coupe" it -- then just make a hard version of the convertible top. It would have to be modified a bit to allow usage of the trunk, but that is it
:agree: The rear deck is unique to the car IMO :cheers:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I thought the coupe was imminent; at least for the Solstice, no? I love roadsters. But it would be my only car. In New Jersey we have mild winters during some years and blizzards during others. Also, with the added rigidity, increased trunk space, and easier maintenance, I would love to see a coupe. Actually, what I would really love to see is a targa-top. Not as opened up as a roadster but more so than a coupe. Not at much structural rigidity as a coupe but more so than a roadster. Also, a glass roof is: easier to clean, easier to ensure that there are no leaks, and easier (and probably cheaper) to replace than a soft-top.

I’m with ya 100% on the look of the roadster. It would be one of those cars that actually look a lot better as a roadster (since it was originally designed as such) than a coupe unlike the Vette, 350Z, Mustang, G6, and so forth.

So, in theory, if the Kappa’s are bound to be turned into a coupe regardless, what should it look like? Have the window drop straight down? The way the Solstice coupe concept looks like? Perhaps only add a B-pillar and have no C, and let the glass just reach out toward the rear like the Corvette? Go with what Rick Tinley Park said and have pretty much the soft-top lines but be a hardtop? You guys heard my opinion already, I want to know yours.

·
Registered
411 Posts
RickKappa said:
I thought the coupe was imminent; at least for the Solstice, no? I love roadsters. But it would be my only car. In New Jersey we have mild winters during some years and blizzards during others. Also, with the added rigidity, increased trunk space, and easier maintenance, I would love to see a coupe. Actually, what I would really love to see is a targa-top. Not as opened up as a roadster but more so than a coupe. Not at much structural rigidity as a coupe but more so than a roadster. Also, a glass roof is: easier to clean, easier to ensure that there are no leaks, and easier (and probably cheaper) to replace than a soft-top.

I’m with ya 100% on the look of the roadster. It would be one of those cars that actually look a lot better as a roadster (since it was originally designed as such) than a coupe unlike the Vette, 350Z, Mustang, G6, and so forth.

So, in theory, if the Kappa’s are bound to be turned into a coupe regardless, what should it look like? Have the window drop straight down? The way the Solstice coupe concept looks like? Perhaps only add a B-pillar and have no C, and let the glass just reach out toward the rear like the Corvette? Go with what Rick Tinley Park said and have pretty much the soft-top lines but be a hardtop? You guys heard my opinion already, I want to know yours.

How would the "new coupe" have more trunk space than it has now with the top up? They would have to redo the gas tank placement. I do believe there has been some talk about doing that though, which would be great. Also, The coupe wouldn't have seats in the back. If it did,.... That would rock, while still keeping the sweet proportions.

As far as roof Ideas. I really want,.. nay, I really need them to make it like the Chrysler Firepower concept. That would take it over the top.:cheers:

http://www.topcar.co.za/newsfeed/2005/01/13_Detroit/HighRes/Chrysler Firepower.jpg

Or atleast like the Solstice "Weekend Racer 330hp Concept" the Orange one at the 2005 SEMA Auto Show.
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/10/solsticeracer05_02.jpg

But,.. yeah,... I love the Soft top lines Idea.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I'd drive a coupe like a lunatic and rip it in half on PCH...
(It was the German -- honest)

·
Registered
45 Posts
i love both the firepower and the solstice in the first post. i don't care much for the weekend racer concept. it looks too bubbly

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Yes, Yes, Yes - NO COUPE! Why prostitute a great design. If you want that, they should bring back the 240Z (that was a nice little coupe) albeit Datsun/Nissan.

·
Registered
802 Posts
1994SC2 said:
I'd drive a coupe like a lunatic and rip it in half on PCH...
(It was the German -- honest)
The fool was racing a Mercedes northbound on PCH 2/22 (Pacific Coast Highway - for those in Rio Linda) at 6am flew over a hill and hit a telephone pole. bits and pieces were scattered for 1000 feet. His estimated speed was only 120mph. He had .09% level when they found him hiding in the bushes 3 hours later. He got away with only a few scratches on his face...they say it was worth 1.5 million...less than 500 of this model Ferarri were made.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think GM should make a coupe, not that I'd buy one but I know people who like small sporty cars but HATE convertibles. If you think it looks bad as a coupe don't buy one, they wouldn't ruin the convertible by making a coupe also. I don't see why so many people oppose it.... I mean it could make GM more money, and if they keep making great cars then I'm all for them making money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To Slade:
If the coupe's C-pillars extended passed the normal trunk opening (which it most likely would have to), you would be able to store items higher than the rear deck of a Sky/Solstice. The gas tank placement, rear suspension, and yada yada wouldn't have to be re-arranged, you would just be able to stack things higher.

I would have to agree with SoSlowGTP that if it makes GM money, they should do it, especially in their financial state. If ya don't like the way the coupe looks... then don't buy one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
eldeeko said:
The fool was racing a Mercedes northbound on PCH 2/22 (Pacific Coast Highway - for those in Rio Linda) at 6am flew over a hill and hit a telephone pole. bits and pieces were scattered for 1000 feet. His estimated speed was only 120mph. He had .09% level when they found him hiding in the bushes 3 hours later. He got away with only a few scratches on his face...they say it was worth 1.5 million...less than 500 of this model Ferarri were made.
was that and enzo ????

:Edit: Just found the article.... They must have turned off the traction control, lol....and an enzo is "only" worth 600k - 1 million

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I am personally not interested in a Coupe. I would be interested in a nice looking hard top that could be easily installed and removed.

I was thinking the other day if GM were to expand the Kappa platform I think it would be best to put out a Coupe style Kappa on another brand. Then also maybe something Chevy Nomad concept car.

That would give the consumer more styling options for the car and would not hurt the Solstice/Sky sales too much.

·
Registered
802 Posts
richmcc said:
I am personally not interested in a Coupe. I would be interested in a nice looking hard top that could be easily installed and removed.

I was thinking the other day if GM were to expand the Kappa platform I think it would be best to put out a Coupe style Kappa on another brand. Then also maybe something Chevy Nomad concept car.

That would give the consumer more styling options for the car and would not hurt the Solstice/Sky sales too much.
Maybe a Buick "Century" or Oldsmobile "88" that way they could bring back some of the good 'ol names. (Shaped kinda like a Chrysler Sebring Coupe)

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I'd love to see a couple of options. A removable hard top and perhap a Coupe kit. You remove the trunk deck and incert a the kit. There were some drawings around here a couple of months ago that looked promising.

·
Registered
67 Posts
eldeeko said:
Maybe a Buick "Century" or Oldsmobile "88" that way they could bring back some of the good 'ol names. (Shaped kinda like a Chrysler Sebring Coupe)
too bad olds is dead.... something like the buick Reatta, or something from chevy would be a nice addition.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts