Saturn Sky Forum banner

Is Saturn "Sky" the perfect name for a Saturn Kappa Roadster?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...still a rose?

Some folks have found pictures of the hideous 2002 Saturn Sky .

Luke warm reception to "I just smelled an open septic tank" facial expressions, FWD, center-mounted instrument panel, Delta platform-based....

And now we have the Kappa Saturn, which is also named.... the SKY?

So this poll is all about a name.

Was Saturn right in naming the current Sky after a semi-failed, four year old concept car?

Were they thinking we'd either have forgotten about that one, or that "sky" was such an amazing name that it absolutely HAD to be it, nothing else? Does the name just "speak" to you? Is it so appropriate that it's worth re-using?

Never mind that at the same time there were many other names, any one of which could have been the Saturn Kappa Roadster.

Or is it a lot like "re-gifting"? Does it show a severe lack of creativity?

So, cast your ballot, knowing what we now know. If you think there's a more appropriate name, post it!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My $0.02, just off the bat:

Saturn SKR (Small Kappa Roadster)

Saturn DTC (Drop Top Coupe)

Saturn Slingshot...

just a few to start the creative juices going...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Either I purposefully removed the memory of that first Sky, or I don't remember it. Either way I find the name fitting for this car. Personally I am not a big fan of just throwing a number or some letters on a car to name it. I think a name like the sky accurately portrays the purpose and intents of this car. Could they have come up with a better name? probably, but then they would have had to assembly a committee and get focus groups and all that stuff. They probably would have spent more doing that than designing the car so I am content the way it is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
ooo i like the saturn SKR.... sounds kinda mercedes like. :cool:

how about:

saturn flare

saturn edge

saturn midnight

saturn streak

saturn waterfall

saturn vapor

saturn bolt

theres a thousand and one things this car could be called, and i think it wasnt that great of an idea to re-use the sky. oh, and sky isnt a very aggressive name to match the aggressive looks. i would have expected better of saturn, however, i doubt they will change the name now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sky is the best yet
Give it up

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't mind that it was attached to that hideous concept. That is just a small footnote in history.

You might be able to come up with a better name than Sky though. I personally like Sky but you made some cool suggestions also. Maybe GM just needs to produce some more small roadsters to use up the cool names above. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
kappaman said:
My $0.02, just off the bat:

Saturn SKR (Small Kappa Roadster)

Saturn DTC (Drop Top Coupe)

Saturn Slingshot...

just a few to start the creative juices going...

i don't mind "SKY" but a part of me thinks it's a tad 'girly'. plus it's confusing for people when you say "i drive a sky".

i like SKR, but it's a bit too similar to XLR...perhaps something in another language?

not that i'm helping much - i'm not that creative :willy:

·
Registered
432 Posts
i guess i should add to what i said earlier:

i really dont like that the sky name was re-used. I also would have preferred quite a few other names. however, i know saturn is beyond the point of changing the name. i am ok with the name sky. i guess it works. i love the car, so i wont really have much of a gripe about it.

and i guess, since im going to be debadging it anyways, they coulda called it the saturn poop for all i care. the car is friggin hot! :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmm... lots of thoughts on this.

1st, I wasn't aware of that hideous concept until this thread. Since I like to think I've been following Kappa development closely, I'm going to assume that the eyesore in question is lost to history, as far as most are concerned. HENCE, it won't convey any baggage onto the SKY name.

The Sky name does have some plusses:

+ Continues kappa platform celestial naming theme begun with "solstice"
+ Consistant with kindler, gentler Saturn corporate image
+ Invokes imagery of open-air cruising

Downsides:

Doesn't seem consistant with desire to move Saturn in an upscale/European direction. Some alternate suggestions, starting with the celestial theme:

Saturn Equinox: Oops, already taken
Saturn Eclipse: Oops, already taken
Saturn Aurora: Oops....

How about Comet or Meteor? I think both are already trademarked by other companies. Let's scrap the celestial theme and go with an alpha-numeric name that screams upscale european transportation:

Saturn TGV: Signifigance lost on US public
Saturn SST: Speaking of baggage....

How about a name that hints at the Opel GT concept tie-in?

Saturn GT: Hello, Ford lawyers.

They MIGHT be able to get away with "240GT", hinting at the displacement. Speaking of which, call it the "S2400" and trumpet the displacement advantage over the Honda offering.

Of all these options, I like "Saturn Comet" and "Saturn 240GT" the best. I think if I end up in a Sky, though, I'll just rebadge it as an "Opel GT" as Brentil suggested a while back.

-Stephen M

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not saying that they should change the name, just wanted to see what other ideas were out there.

I like Venom.

Saturn Flare is not bad. Streak is good. I think Saturn Edge is better.

Got to looking at SKR, and my acronymic mind keeps seeing "sucker"....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think they could have come up with a better name.
OTOH, I don't really care that much - but one of the first things I'll do is debadge the "Sky" nameplate with dental floss. :D
I think a nice Italian name would go better with the edgy roadster looks or even a letter/number like the Z4, or M3 or 350Z etc, etc....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Saturn Switchback

Saturn Spearhead

Saturn Apex (may go well with Aura)

Saturn Vortex

Saturn Tsunami (probably bad PR...)

Saturn Seven (as in seven rings of saturn? Already taken by Lotus)

Saturn SSC (Saturn Sports Car)

Saturn Sapphire (blue would be a popular color)

I do not think it was a mistake to name the car after the very forgetable Sky concept pictured above. Looking at my names, I think I like Sky better.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
As we talked about on the Solstice Forum once before (I think it was Solsticeman's idea), I think the idea of dropping the Saturn name all together and renaming all the cars/dealerships as Opel or Vauxhall. Pretty much all their current line up has come from Vuaxhall/Opel designs and styling. Plus the Opel GT or Opel Speedster names would have been awesome in the USA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I did see some names that sounded pretty good, and why don't they bring the opel name to the states? Anyway, I am happy with the name Sky even it does sound a little "girly" but it could have been a lot worse than that. So if you don't like it take the badge off or make your own or something. Speaking of that what is the best way to take a badge off? Did I hear someone say dental floss?

·
Registered
432 Posts
yeah, dental floss is good. make SURE you use gloves as your fingers will hurt like hell after working that floss for that long. also, do it on a hot day. that way the adhesive will give a bit easier. once you get the letters off, i used goof-off or goo-gone or something like that. but dont use too much or else it may go after your clearcoat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
swatthefly said:
yeah, dental floss is good. make SURE you use gloves as your fingers will hurt like hell after working that floss for that long. also, do it on a hot day. that way the adhesive will give a bit easier. once you get the letters off, i used goof-off or goo-gone or something like that. but dont use too much or else it may go after your clearcoat.
Don't alot of the gm badges sit in an sunk in area? or are they all surface mount style?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts