Saturn Sky Forum banner

Is Saturn "Sky" the perfect name for a Saturn Kappa Roadster?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Astronomer said:
Kronos devours some of his children.
'

Oh man, Saturn Kronos it is.

Saturn Kronos. It will eat your children.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ernest said:
I don't know about you all, but the Chevy NOVA was a very badass screamer in the 60's. Caught the attention of more than a couple of mopars, thats for sure.:D

ERNEST:thumbs:
Interesting fact about the Nova, it wasn't selling well in Latin America. Then they finally realized that "no va" in Spanish means "it does not go"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
GRinLR said:
Interesting fact about the Nova, it wasn't selling well in Latin America. Then they finally realized that "no va" in Spanish means "it does not go"! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It makes for a great story, but not true. "no va" makes as much sense as english baby talk "no go" and pointing to a car with a hole in the engine block.

I know enough Spanish and have many international :)lol: it never dawned on me that people I know in Canada and Mexico are 'international' ) friends to know that this is not a true story. You wouldn't refer to a non-running vehicle in Spanish as "es no va..." you would say "es no funtiona" or something along those lines.

"nova" in latin means new, and ends up being the root word for "noveau" in French, and "nuevo" in Spanish.

Besides, one trip in mexico about 5 years ago, I was looking to fill up the truck I had with the cheapest fuel I could find. It turned out to be a brand called...

... you guessed it... NOVA :lol: Now if the legend were true, why in the world would the largest mexican oil company create a brand of gasoline called "nova" if it really means "does not go"?

UrLeg, like the coca-cola "bite the wax tadpole" urban legend.

·
Registered
820 Posts
In Roman mythology, Saturn was a god of fertility and agriculture. He was commonly identified with the Greek god Cronus (Kronos), and there is an interesting story that explains how Cronus was transformed into Saturn.
The tale told by the ancient Romans is that Cronus departed from Greek soil when he and his Titan allies were conquered by the Olympians. In Italy, the name of this god was changed from Cronus to Saturn. As Saturn, the god fled to Latium in an attempt to escape from the wrath of his son Jupiter.

So by naming the car Cronus it reflects the time at which Saturn was his most strong, before he fled from the olympians and his name was changed to Saturn, it would also be like Saturn was coming back for more when you said the name in chronological reverse: Saturn Cronus.

Also:
Saturn Spiral
Saturn Gravity
Saturn Gamma-Ray
Saturn Celsius (has a nice ring)
Saturn Bolt

·
Registered
95 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Perhaps the name (clearly reused from the earlier concept convertible) was a part of Saturn's 3 letter nominclature at the time... ION, VUE, SKY and now that has been thrown to the wind (Relay, Outlook, Aura).
What's up with Saturn capitalizing ALL the names of their vehicles ? I've already accepted that it's a SKY (as opposed to a Sky), which followed the ION and VUE pattern. But on Saturn's web site (and in their printed literature), even the RELAY name is always in caps. I think the same will be true for the upcoming OUTLOOK. I feel like they're shouting at me ! :willy:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Nemesis said:
.... it would also be like Saturn was coming back for more when you said the name in chronological reverse: Saturn Cronus.
I prefer the spelling: Kronos (looks cooler):thumbs:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
At first I wasn't too thrilled with the name Sky, but the more I thought about it the more I liked it... So Sky it is....:thumbs:
I thought of another name "Black Hole" because that is where all my money will disappear into buying stuff for my Sky..

·
Registered
155 Posts
How about Saturn Sky? :thumbs: I'm sure all these auto makers come up with tons of names. I think the Sky is great because

1. convertible so 'Sky'
2. S-Sky S-Solstice
3. S-Saturn S-Sky (ford does that a lot, ford focus, freestyle, kinda played out imo.

I think in the future we will see more numbers rather than names, since numbers seem to sound more modern and that's what a lot of makers are trying to convey.

I USED to wanna be a car designer (somehow ended up in real estate) so I would name all the cars I sketeched.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I can't really think of better name for this car. It does envoke images of top down driving! Nothing but road and sky!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Well what ever she's called lets hope it isn't called the next Fiero! Not exactly an American Classic. BTW who's gona send the email to Saturn about the name change?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
rick112 said:
Well what ever she's called lets hope it isn't called the next Fiero! Not exactly an American Classic. BTW who's gona send the email to Saturn about the name change?
Hey hey hey, now. The Fiero IS a classic. You'd be surprised at the following the Fiero has, including myself, and Fformula88 (whose screen ID refers to his car, a 1988 Fiero Formula).

IIRC, GM sold over 350,000 of them from 1984 model year through the cutting of the model in 1988 model year.

At 15,000 a year, that's TWENTY-THREE years of Saturn SKY volume... People have put Quad-4's, other V6's, and even small block V8's in them. They took the cars and made ferarri look-alike body kits, and I've even seen one or two converted to sand dune buggies. They ran in SCCA GT category and were very successful.

When they first came out, people got into fistfights over the cars being deliverd to Pontiac dealers.

The front suspension was derived from the Chevette, the rear suspension and powertrain were derived from the Citation FWD technology of that time (until 1988 model year)

Sound like a certain newly designed 2-seat car that "reuses" parts from the parts bin?

Fieros are more popular than culture or re-written history will ever recall. So, before you start comparing the Solstice/SKY to the Fiero, remember the sales of the fiero, the following of the Fiero (pennock's fiero forum is a good place to start if you're interested) EIGHTEEN years after the last one rolled off the line... and look at the similarities. THEN, realize that the Kappa platform sales will take almost a decade to approach the total number of Fieros sold.

Having ranted about this, I will say that GM now understands how to properly capatacize their plants. They have a plan for keeping the buzz and interest up. The only question is the true test of the success of the Kappa platform - are they or will they work on the NEXT generation?

If there is a next generation Saturn Roadster/Pontiac Roadster, derived from or evolved from the Kappa, preferably in the next year or two, then I will finally say the car can be moved from "fad" to "classic", and more of a success than the old Pegasus platform (the old Fiero platform, and ALMOST the name of that plastic-bodied 2-seat coupe - in fact, if you look at a fiero emblem, it is the top view of the winged horse, Pegasus).

End history lession. Full stop.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Saturn Pegasus that's nice, but I do like the Sky :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Seeing how it all seems so celestial,
Saturn Mercury
Saturn Venus
Saturn Earth
Saturn Mars
Saturn Saturn
Saturn Jupiter
Saturn Uranus ?????:lol: :lol:
Saturn Pluto
:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hmmm...Saturn Venus, kinda cool. It fits since she is the goddess of love and beauty.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts