Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a lot about this stuff --- please don't think I'm dumb, but here goes ---- Today I noticed a kind of brownish/reddish/orange color on the brake drums (I think that's what they are). You know, inside the wheels. Is this normal, or is it some kind of dust? Will it come off? :confused:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Surface rust and nothing to worry about...Skip...:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skip said:
Surface rust and nothing to worry about...Skip...:cool: :cool:
Thanks, Skip --- just wasn't sure about the look of it --- does it come off ?:cheers:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
KanMan said:
Thanks, Skip --- just wasn't sure about the look of it --- does it come off ?:cheers:
As soon as you step on the brakes... Since the disks (not drums) are so clean (no oil on them) they will rust very quickly when wetted. Once you apply your brakes they will be clean and rust free.
BTW NEVER oil them....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick Tinley Park said:
As soon as you step on the brakes... Since the disks (not drums) are so clean (no oil on them) they will rust very quickly when wetted. Once you apply your brakes they will be clean and rust free.
BTW NEVER oil them....
Well, there ya go. I learn something new every day on these forums. Thanks
:thumbs:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
BTW NEVER oil them....
Rick, I laughed outloud at this. My dad, who passed away recently at 92, used to recount how he oiled the sqeaky brakes on a Model A Ford. He grew up on a farm and was driving tractors and cars at the age of 12!

After blowing through 2 intersections completely terrified, he rode the brakes for two weeks and then they squeaked worse than ever!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts