Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see anything about a hard top except the post about the racing Solstice one, so I'll ask. I really want a hard top available so that I can drive my car year round. Here in WA it rains a lot, almost all the way from Nov-Mar, so I want something that I don't have to worry about putting in the garage, especially since I can't put anything in there until we get the front of our house redesigned. I also don't want to have 2 car payments, so that I can have something to drive in the rain. I saw that they started taking orders on the Pontiac G6 convertible, that is a powered hard top. That would be a possibility except I don't like how quickly Pontiacs depreciate. So what's the deal?

I also wanted to ask, has anyone who already has their SKY examined the handle to lock in the roof? The Solstice I sat in had a cheesy, platstic handle that felt like I was going to break it when I turned it. Is it metal inside of the handle? Does it feel more solid to you? Please don't tell me it's all plastic and will break.

·
Registered
727 Posts
So far, those images of the hard top on the Solstice are the latest.

I don't see why you couldn't run the car with the soft top in the rain. It'll stay water tight, and it won't really hurt it. The car should be plenty warm inside too. The hard top may bring it's own problems anyway. For instance, it does not appear as if you can open the trunk when this hardtop is in place... at least it looks like that from the Solstice SSB racer pics.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Fformula88 said:
So far, those images of the hard top on the Solstice are the latest.

I don't see why you couldn't run the car with the soft top in the rain. It'll stay water tight, and it won't really hurt it. The car should be plenty warm inside too. The hard top may bring it's own problems anyway. For instance, it does not appear as if you can open the trunk when this hardtop is in place... at least it looks like that from the Solstice SSB racer pics.
I have a hard top for my Vette and you are right,with it in place, due to the placement of the top locks on the trunk you will not have access with the top down. You don't with a soft top either, you have to pop the top to get to the trunk. With the insulation in the Sky top, the hard top won't be any warmer and the seals are the same so you have the same leaks. Also hard tops are not as flexible, so they may not seal as well, may seal better, but depends on the top. The hard top will be a hinderance, not a help, IMHO.:)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I think you're being a little paranoid about the top.

My cars outside right now in the parking lot (I'm in FL) and it rains like you're under Niagra Falls here sometimes. It's raining right now actually. I've not once found water in my car. You know all those huricanes we had the end of last year, I was driving around in the reminants of one going to work for an emergency with huricane force gusts blowing wind and rain. No leaks then either.

The handle can feel loose if the bolt is loose. All it takes is screwing it in palce correctly to fix. Was the car you were in a demo car or a car for sale? The demo cars were all fairly beat up pre-production cars anyways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts