Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at my local dealer yesterday getting my Sky's state inspection, the service guy said they have sold two, two!:banghead: He did say that if the dealer could get them in he'd sell a hundred in one day. How can they receive two cars in six months? Glad I'm not on their waiting list. Is this what it's like at a typical dealer?

·
Registered
386 Posts
While at my local dealer yesterday getting my Sky's state inspection, the service guy said they have sold two, two!:banghead: He did say that if the dealer could get them in he'd sell a hundred in one day. How can they receive two cars in six months? Glad I'm not on their waiting list. Is this what it's like at a typical dealer?
You are one of the lucky ones! I've posted many times I've waited 18 months since the day I gave my $500 deposit. It's on the train but its not coming fast enough! The wait is aweful:banghead: but this forum keeps me sane because I learn soooooo much from everyone that is willing to share.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
169 Posts
We have had many responses to this. It all depends on how many cars the dealer sells. My dealer has had about 15 Skys delivered, if not more, with mine being their first in March. Of course, when you are around a big metropolitan area like Chicago, you will get and sell more cars.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I was in for service last Tuesday and the salesman told me they had delivered 9.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When I posed the question to my salesman yesterday he said that when I initially put my order in back in July, I was #57 on the overall SKY list, #3 in line for a Redline. He says I'm at 19 now due to deliveries & drop outs and still #3 for a redline. Not sure how that spells out for actually getting one of these but he assured me I would get my car...eventually.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Keep in mind, 10,000 Sky's being built, 450 dealers--do the math, thats 22.22 Sky's per dealer--no where near satisfying the demand--:willy:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was told the same thing today about the "If we had them, we'd sell them" bit and I honestly belive it.

IMO it's just a Marketing Ploy - it's worked before with other things (Playstation 2) but it's also backfired (PSP)

They told me I'd beable to get a Base once the Redline comes out cause of all the folks trading but if I wanted a Redline I'd have to wail till Mid/Late 2007. :banghead:

I'll just wait for a Midnight Blue Redline w/ Tan Top/Interior to hit the USED market for 20K or less in like 2 years I guess :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Too many factors are going into the delivery. Volume of dealership is a big one but is a double edge sword. If you were fortunate enough to get your order in early then the dealer being a large volume dealer should help you get your car sooner but if you weren't then the large pre-order list might just prevent you from getting one at all. The smaller dealership will only get a couple so if you aren't at the top of the list you might also never see the car. I look at it this way, if my order gets filled anytime prior to next summer I'll be happy (actually would prefer it in the spring). If I don't get it so be it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Besides it's not like these cars are a limited thing, I know I'll have one by 2010 one way or the other :lol:

That and I had to also face another harsh reality, I need to wait till the hype goes down, I could afford a Base (by the skin of my teeth) and then Full Insurance would do me in. (TX Law on stuff not fully paid for I belive)

So I'm gonna have to wait and go back to modding my 240SX - I'll have one, just not now sadly.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
at the dealer where i placed my order, they seemed alright. The day i went there, they had one (dealer's owner's car i believe) that was for sale. Test drove it.

Week later i went back to place my deposit and order, and they had a different sky upfront that was just delivered, and it's happy owner was just doing the walk around before driving it off the lot.

So I think all of this is a good sign. At least the dealer i went through (Denville NJ) seems to be moving cars. As of right now, I think I'm #9 on the list (not sure if that was for sky's in general or the redline list, hoping the general list) so I figure even if they were to sell only 1 car per month, I should get my redline right in the spring time, which honestly, is when i want it to be, for weather reasons as well as financial. Much rather put a down payment of 15K instead of 5 that I have saved now.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Keep in mind, 10,000 Sky's being built, 450 dealers--do the math, thats 22.22 Sky's per dealer--no where near satisfying the demand--:willy:
I don't know why I didn't see it until now... I ordered (deposit $1000) my Redline 6/26...at that time I was told I was #5 on the list for Redlines. I didn't even think about the fact that there must also have been a list miles long for the standard Sky...no wonder it's taking so long to get me the car...as of 3 weeks ago I was number 2 on the list for Redlines...I couldn't understand how three weeks had passed and I still didn't have an allocation...I didn't even consider that the dealership was having to integrate both lists...I'm not as upset now.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You are one of the lucky ones! I've posted many times I've waited 18 months since the day I gave my $500 deposit. It's on the train but its not coming fast enough! The wait is aweful:banghead: but this forum keeps me sane because I learn soooooo much from everyone that is willing to share.
:thumbs:
Ohhh, I hope you get it any day!

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I don't know why I didn't see it until now... I ordered (deposit $1000) my Redline 6/26...at that time I was told I was #5 on the list for Redlines. I didn't even think about the fact that there must also have been a list miles long for the standard Sky...no wonder it's taking so long to get me the car...as of 3 weeks ago I was number 2 on the list for Redlines...I couldn't understand how three weeks had passed and I still didn't have an allocation...I didn't even consider that the dealership was having to integrate both lists...I'm not as upset now.
Cool, I believe that those (who especially) want a R/L) will probably have to be even MORE patient than those waiting for a standard Sky. Which ever you want/order, the wait is worth it. It is ashame GM/Saturn don't just ramp up production. BUT since both the Sky & the SOL are being produced at only 1 plant..You can imagine the "internal" fights right now bwt Saturn & Pontiac with GM to get them their orders NOW!! I wouldn't wanna be there. I think GM needs to crank up each with their own plants..But even so, that takes alot of time to setup--Plus where they are being built now has the system & procedures down pat--PLUS, the supplies, engines, tranny's, seats, etc--They can only also be built so fast also, especially if only 1 plant is supplying those items--:eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stopped by my dealer in GA today, had to sit in a SKY again. They were getting ready to have the new owner pick up the silver pearl automatic I test drove 3 weeks ago, and have a granite on the showroom floor now. Pretty car! The story is that the same guy ordered one, refused it and ordered the other, then purchased a black one that came in, instead. Go figure!

At least this dealer has had some come and go, and their sister dealership a few towns away had a silver pearl with manual trans back in early August. That was the first one I ever saw 'in person'. I'll stop by there this weekend and see what they have now.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
My order is for a redline and I am at the top of the list for any kind of sky base or redline at my dealer (all stores), not sure how long the wait will be my dealer is only getting one a month. :)

Thats ok I guess I just set back and wait, the rl won't be much good in a snow so if I don't get it in before oct, march or april will be just as good.:thumbs:

·
Registered
196 Posts
For a look at what is selling at a large central Ohio dealer (3 stores, 1 owner), go to www.saturnofcolumbus.com . Click on the sky in the bottom left corner & a chart comes up of cars delivered, on order & in production.
This will give you an idea how many a large dealer sells.
If more of them did this they wouldn't get so many calls from people wanting to know where thier car is.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
This will give you an idea how many a large dealer sells.
If more of them did this they wouldn't get so many calls from people wanting to know where thier car is.
According to that list, Jack Hanna ordered a second one... guessing a RedLine... interesting how they used his full name and not just the initials.

Oh, and my retailer has sold 5 and delivered 6... one was the GMAC Bowl contest winner.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well, I personally have sold 10 already. Thats pretty much the highest for my group, but the other experienced salespeople have probably sold close to that. It really depends on the market, and a few other factors.

SoCal is perfect conv. roadster weather (perhaps the best anywhere....well, it is the best anywhere), so we get more.....but still not enough.

at the same time, for every customer that buys one, there are probably 100 people who are just curious. these are the ones that get upset that we never have any, and, when somebody cancels an order or we have one for the showroom, we call and tell them "there is one, come quick, it will sell", they're all talk.

then the car sells within hours (or minutes....on a few occasions), and they come in a week later, and say "where is that sky you were talking about, i'd like to sit in it".

"sorry folks, i told you it would sell [now go away and stop wasting my time...well, i don't say that, just think it]"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts