Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, here is what's happening. I placed an order for a RedLine on September 21st with the mandatory $1K down. Since I have been reading this forum, I ask the sales person "What number am I in line?"

She doesn't know. She says she's non-technical and doesn't even enter the orders. I'm told I will get my order number "next week". I take my paperwork and away I go.

September 28th - I get a call saying the R/L orders are on "constraint" and she can't enter the order. Hummmmmmm..... I was under the impression constraints affected orders that were much further down the processing line than just ordered. No order number yet. I e-mail her back the information about the turbo constraint.

October 5th - Salesperson not in, request to talk to the Sales Manager. He seems a little perturbed that he has to deal with a customer. Ask him "What number am I in line?" He goes to his office and returns and says there are about 34 people in line ahead of me for the Sky and "most are for the Redline". Wonderful.

October 10th - I get another call and the sales person says the order has to have a tan top if I want the tan/black interior. Fine. Tan top it is. So again, I'm under the impression that the order is finally entered.

October 12th - Go by the dealership and the sales person is busy with another customer. No sweat, I'll just sit down in the Vue that is across from the silver Sky base model in the showroom, squint real hard and imagine the car in Polar White with a tan top. There are also two base models (yellow and midnight blue) sitting on the lot.

Twenty minutes later, she comes by and says that she'll have to get in touch with the person that actually did the order, but she can't find him. This is Thursday night and they are open late. I say "Ok, I'll wait". She appears real nervous when I finished that statement. Well she can't seem to find this missing person. Anywhere.

After spending 45 minutes trying to get the supposed order number, I tell her "E-mail it to me".

Does this sound like the run-around or what?
Was this what happened when you placed your Sky Redline order?
Is this a waste of time at a dealership that has 34+ Sky Redlines on order?
Any insight from other Saturn dealer employees?

HoldHard

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Agreed. These folks sound like they have more than enough business.
I'd make a wide area search for a shorter line and better responsiveness.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
#34 in line sounds like 2008 to me, there are planty of dealers out there, work the phones and see if you can find one a little more reasonable in their dealings with their customers. With any luck you might be able to find a dealer that will only have 4-5 people in front of you, and who knows you might be :driving: in time for spring.:thumbs:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
All these replies sound like good advice. With the RedLine availability so low and with the options that I want and Saturn having their "no hassle, no dickering" price so they will not negotiate, the car stickers out (with sales tax) at $34,141.00 and the order has the phrase "Pricing Subject to Invoice" written on it......

So no price protection.

Just for fun, I was over at another website that lists cars on the internet. I found 70 base model Skys for sale.

Well, I have a soft spot for Corvettes, especially the previous model called the C5. My favorite color is LeMans Blue and the best of those would be the Z06 Commerative Edition which only 2,025 were made in 2004.

I found a couple listed on this (un-named) car website. One was at $36,900 with under 8,000 miles on it which is about $3,000 more than the Sky Redline I have a deposit on (I can't say I've got an order, that would mean I have an Order Number).

Yeah, I know, it won't stand out in traffic, it won't turn heads, it's not a roadster with a fold-down top, it won't do a lot of things. But by the time my RedLine arrives at the dealership, they will probably be as common as the Chevy Cavalier..... and only the true Sky aficionado will recognize the RedLine from the base model....

Having serious 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) thoughts about this car. I have been through one "recently introduced" car and that was not pretty. It was also a "parts bin" car and it turned out to be a disaster. Maybe some of you remember the Pontiac Fiero..... I wish I could forget.

I can see a cancellation coming up pretty quick... especially when I think about which vehicle will retain it's value....

HoldHard

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ok, here is what's happening. I placed an order for a RedLine on September 21st with the mandatory $1K down. Since I have been reading this forum, I ask the sales person "What number am I in line?"

She doesn't know. She says she's non-technical and doesn't even enter the orders. I'm told I will get my order number "next week". I take my paperwork and away I go.

September 28th - I get a call saying the R/L orders are on "constraint" and she can't enter the order. Hummmmmmm..... I was under the impression constraints affected orders that were much further down the processing line than just ordered. No order number yet. I e-mail her back the information about the turbo constraint.

October 5th - Salesperson not in, request to talk to the Sales Manager. He seems a little perturbed that he has to deal with a customer. Ask him "What number am I in line?" He goes to his office and returns and says there are about 34 people in line ahead of me for the Sky and "most are for the Redline". Wonderful.

October 10th - I get another call and the sales person says the order has to have a tan top if I want the tan/black interior. Fine. Tan top it is. So again, I'm under the impression that the order is finally entered.

October 12th - Go by the dealership and the sales person is busy with another customer. No sweat, I'll just sit down in the Vue that is across from the silver Sky base model in the showroom, squint real hard and imagine the car in Polar White with a tan top. There are also two base models (yellow and midnight blue) sitting on the lot.

Twenty minutes later, she comes by and says that she'll have to get in touch with the person that actually did the order, but she can't find him. This is Thursday night and they are open late. I say "Ok, I'll wait". She appears real nervous when I finished that statement. Well she can't seem to find this missing person. Anywhere.

After spending 45 minutes trying to get the supposed order number, I tell her "E-mail it to me".

Does this sound like the run-around or what?
Was this what happened when you placed your Sky Redline order?
Is this a waste of time at a dealership that has 34+ Sky Redlines on order?
Any insight from other Saturn dealer employees?

HoldHard
Sounds like there is conflicting information. There are several Sky's on the lot, but they have 34 orders. If they had that many orders, the Skys would NOT be sitting there in MHO! Is the deposit refundable? Me thinks me would find another dealer. :brentil: I went to my dealer the other day to meet the man himself who places the orders. He even gave me a copy of the event codes and is very helpful. I do find that being a member of this forum gives me an advantage of knowing more about what is going on than the dealer, but they are very open to talking to me weekly and welcome my calls/visits. You don't need this run-around!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, I know, it won't stand out in traffic, it won't turn heads, it's not a roadster with a fold-down top, it won't do a lot of things. But by the time my RedLine arrives at the dealership, they will probably be as common as the Chevy Cavalier..... and only the true Sky aficionado will recognize the RedLine from the base model....

HoldHard
HoldHard, just my opinion but I agree with pretty much everything you said. I LIKE the Sky, ALOT, in fact I've got a Redline on order, but I knew I was in for a wait, and Im fine with a wait. But, I see NOTHING wrong with getting another car, esp one as gorgeous and worthy as a C5 Vette (love that Commemorative edition btw!!). I had a friend with 03 Z06 in electron blue....it was a gorgeous car, and it does turn heads. It has a V8, a really good one at that, takes to mods well, or you can tuck it away as a collector and know that there will always be a demand for it.

I have to admit that during my wait I have (and still am, to be truthful) been tempted. I LOVE the 05-06 GTO and there are deals to be had on this car, esp in the Detroit Metro area, as Im sure you know, lol. I love muscle cars, the GTO has muscle in spades. So, its not a roadster, but its got an LS2, very nice interior, door locks, and can be easily had, and prolly for less than what I'd pay for the Redline. And another car Ive been thinking about is picking up a preowned 300C. So we'll see. In the meantime, Im #9 at my dealership which hasnt even gotten their first one in yet.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
I dont know your financial situation, but i'd consider just buying a Sky off the lot (if you have the money). There seem to be a lot available. I may be wrong on this, but i'm not sure if switching dealers will actually help you get the car earlier. I assume GM picks up orders by date entered, not one from a dealer A, then one from B, then one from C, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's my history to date.

FIRST EMAIL 10/10

While I realize you couldn't spend much time wth my wife and I yesterday and XXXX ? did a good job of handling us as potential customers I have a few questions I would like to get answered.

How many vehicles was your store allocated for the fourth quarter and of that number how many were RL's.

Have you folks sold all of your fourth quarter allocation. If not what's available.

What's my position on the waiting list?

When will I be assigned a VOMS number?

Why did you and your sales reps over emphasize the two year delivery caveat? The SKY forum on the net quotes anywhere from 6 months to a year. The same is true for the eight dealerships I called in MD, DE and VA.

Can I get a statement that says there will be no market based price markups and no dealer added optional equipment (like Enviornmental Packages, Pinstriping. Warranty add ons, etc.) when the car is delivered. If not why not?

I felt uncomfortable that the buyers order was not fully completed nor signed by the sales manager. Why not? The deposit also was not acknowledged on the order. Why not?

I've purchased about 35 new cars in my lifetime and the handling of this entire transaction leaves an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's telling me to stay away from your store.

You should (if you don't already know) that all of the dealer tricks of the trade are exposed on the SKY forums on the net. If I can't get satisfactory answers from your store, rest assured I will post this letter on the SKY forum without your store's name of course, but the location will be obvious to the viewers.

SECOND EMAIL 10/13

XXX, if you can't or won't respond to my Tuesday email then I want my $500 deposit returned.

RESPONSE EMAIL 10/13

Mr. XXXXXXX---a few answers to some of the questions you asked-
-----Every store is allocated about 32 per year( 3-4 a month)----we have delivered 1 RL with 3 in the system so far----there isn't any fourth quarter allocation ----that's not the way it works------every vehicle in our system is a sold unit-----
you are # 69 according to our listing---( the wait with 32 per year is about 2 year as mention previously)
Please explain what you mean by a VOMS # ?-----
We have delivered 21 Sky roadsters since March-----( 14 delivered, 7 on order, 8 months in)
Your information given to me about the vehicle is preliminary infor. to place the order-----as I explained when you were here when your name comes up on the list we'll call you in to comfirm your order information------The terms of the deal is handled by are financial officer here at Saturn----nothing is added to the deal without the consent of the customer.
Mr. XXXXXXX---the order & deposit that you placed is to secure your position on the list ----that’s why the entire buyer's order was not filled out----that would be done during the comfirmation period when your name comes upon the list-if a manager's signature on the buyer's order with the deposit showing or anything else you request would put you at ease please contact me------- we want our customers to feel comfortable doing business with us------
Saturn of XXXXX is the #1 Saturn dealership in the metro area-----( sales & service) we delight in the opportunity to earn your business sir!
Our reputation speaks for itself------- honesty, intergrity, and respect are given to any customer that enters this dealership-----no gimmicks or tricks-----that's not the Saturn way!

3RD EMAIL 10/16

I read your reply today and thank you for the courtesy.

Every store is allocated about 32 Skys a year. Doesn't seem logical assuming the stores in the boonies get the same amount as those in metropolitan areas. According to WWW.skyroadster.com allocations are 50% based on previous 12 months Saturn sales history and 50% "market opportunity".

VOMS means Vehicle Order Management System which is the standard GM ordering system. It's a 6 digit alpha/numeric code and should be issued when the dealer gets a "solid" order with a deposit. Once issued it can be viewed through the Order Workbench in Dealerworld. Perhaps individual sales associates are not permitted access or knowledge of this system do to Company policy.

All of this is public information and can be viewed at the site listed above.

2007 Sky Red line on order
2006 Dodge Charger R/T modified to 400HP (so far)
1999 Chevy Lumina 150,000 miles
1998 Chrysler Concorde LXi 300,000 miles

·
Registered
637 Posts
if you're #34 in line... you'll be lucky to get a 2008 Redline...find another dealership.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If your number 34 on the list in Detroit, you might want to look at the west side of the state. I have 3 dealerships working for me, and I should be getting a number any day now. Hopefully!!:)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Every dealer gets 32 SKYS a year?? You wish!
There are ~500 Saturn Stores - 20 each is the 10,000 production. If every store got even amounts the best would be 20 per store. 32 is good but some places get less (and more I'd guess) depending on climate and sales (both at the dealer and convertible sales in state). . .
The dealer I worked with has 6 stores in IL. They each got 10 (initial allocation). If they are not the biggest dealers in Chicago/Illinois they gotta be close.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Does that mean that ALL future allocations will now come to Florida--Since ahh--Its to cold for yawl to get and drive a sky? :nopity: :devil: :sleep: hehe

·
Registered
994 Posts
#34 in line sounds like 2008 to me, there are planty of dealers out there, work the phones and see if you can find one a little more reasonable in their dealings with their customers. With any luck you might be able to find a dealer that will only have 4-5 people in front of you, and who knows you might be :driving: in time for spring.:thumbs:
That's about what my situation was for the base. Don't be afraid of having to do some travelling either driving or flying to pick one up. You can then join the elite Snagger Club.:D

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Does that mean that ALL future allocations will now come to Florida--Since ahh--Its to cold for yawl to get and drive a sky? :nopity: :devil: :sleep: hehe
No - we get em all - to stock up for spring! We will put the top down in 40 degree weather and ride topless 9 month a year - The Southies say "Oh ot's too hot:willy: Put the top up and turn the A/C on " or "Oh it's to cold.:willy: Put the top up it must be only 71 out there! " Convertibles are wasted on you guys!:lol: What do you get a month or so of good weather for you?:cheers::jester:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I worked with the same group as Rick

They reward dealers for sales and how long they are on the lot. the faster there off the lot more allocations they get.

The Saturn term is "turn and earn", gives incentive to sell those cars.

The Sky is not a hi margin car it is a rolling advertisement as to what is to come from Saturn and GM. Where do most businesses put there advertising dollars? Major markets.

The way allocations have gone on base models it has not been even handed in the least.

Look at SkySpy for the redline his dealership hasn't recieved no allocations.

If there is only 2500-3000 Redlines to be built and 500 dealers that would mean 5-6 if everything is equal.

The dealer I recieved my redline from, has another shipping to them now and another following that one. A couple more at 2000. They are expecting more for the forth quarter. If your in a small market and out of the top three I don't see much chance of getting one in 2007. I would be on the phone trying to find a shorter list.

·
Registered
108 Posts
[/COLOR]
That's about what my situation was for the base. Don't be afraid of having to do some travelling either driving or flying to pick one up. You can then join the elite Snagger Club.:D
For the ones of us that SNAGGED our Sky, how about putting your SNAGGED date in your signature. Let the rest of know who the lucky ones are.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, as of yesterday, I have an Order Number!!!!!

Yep.

Check the sig..... Now all I have to do is find out the event code..... probably 1102.

HoldHard

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is the latest response from my dealer. See thread #9.

mr. XXXXXXX----your order # is KNMRN2. If there are any questions or concerns about your order please don't hestitate to contact me.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx-Sales

2007 Sky Red line on order
2006 Dodge Charger R/T modified to 400HP (so far)
1999 Chevy Lumina 150,000 miles
1998 Chrysler Concorde LXi 300,000 miles

·
Registered
162 Posts
No way. :nono: Saturn is issuing designer Eskimo outer ware for all the Northern US Sky owners. We'll be fine until the weather warms up in the Spring. Oh gee, would that possibly be hurricane season for Florida? :eek: Maybe you guys should send all of your Skys north for a few months, just for safe keeping. Just kidding. The excitement of the changing seasons is what we all live for.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts