Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that took delivery of your SKY and have a higher VIN #...let's say over 1,000...have any of you experienced the wheel rub issue? I'm just trying to get an accurate assessment of whether or not this issue has been resolved for the Skys with higher VIN numbers and those that haven't been built yet (like mine). Is the 'fastener' being installed at the factory? Or is this still a "dealer-only" resolution?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am awaiting delivery of my 1332, but saw at my dealer this week no. 1022, which had not been fixed and showed obvious rubbing, including damage to both tyre and well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I saw a VIN 11xx that still had a rub problem. Same as original VIN's.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My Vin is 795. I have not experienced any rubbing and had them checked by service this week. So far, no problem but something to continue looking for.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Mine should be here this week, but low vin. Will check it out and let ya know.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Vin numbers

As Sky Hi Said "I saw a VIN 11xx that still had a rub problem. Same as original VIN's.

I don't think I would consider things based on the VIN. It seems that some High VIN's are out ther already while other lower ones have not even been built yet. I would look more for the actuall build date or even shipping date to compare if the problem has been fixed at the factory or not.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I saw a 12XX VIN and it seems there was enough space between the well and the tire that it would not rub. Came from the factory that way.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wheel rub

My VIN 401 had no rubbing until after about 750 miles. At over 900 it is a slight rub. The later car with VIN 11xx had was in the showroom, delivered a couple of weeks ago, with virtually no miles, and had a worse rub already. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to be consistent.
In my case, I think the bushings are wearing in and I'm driving it a little harder. I believe my rub happens only under hard acceleration with the suspension compressing. I don't hear anything (yet).

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Is it an alignment issue that rubs against the "old" wheel well? I have a low VIN and see no rubbing effects but the distance between the wheel and the side of the wheel well is so small that I can't even fit my hand between the tire and plastic. Hopefully this will remain a non-issue for my car.

·
Registered
308 Posts
1994SC2,
How many miles have you driven?
Have you accelerated hard while driving?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sky Hi said:
1994SC2,
How many miles have you driven?
Have you accelerated hard while driving?
I'm up to 1900 miles or so, I drive it pretty hard now and sometimes accelerate as evil as possible as I slide around the road as I push it from the line and around turns.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I just snapped a picture of my back right wheel well... it may be hard to tell from the picture but the tire sits very close to the side of the plastic panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks pretty similar to mine. I guess all you can do is watch it, and see if Saturn issues a recall for all of us.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I was a little over a 1K when mine started, well not actaully started, just all of a sudden I turned right and it sounded like the whole right rear body was hit. Check my shorts, buddy!!!! Repaired and everything fine now.

Now when I poweer shift to 2nd I dopn't hear the crash of wheel to fender well, just good old tire chirp!! YUP!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
1994SC2 said:
I just snapped a picture of my back right wheel well... it may be hard to tell from the picture but the tire sits very close to the side of the plastic panel.
Some with low VINS have not experienced rub at all, some like Ernest got hit at 1,000 miles. Others like me were rubbing off the showroom floor. The margin of error is so small, I guess it effects each car differently.

If I were you, I'd still have your dealer perform the TSB so you have piece of mind that it won't happen in the future. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info, everyone. :thumbs: I have decided that when my Sky gets delivered (sometime in June hopefully), I will have them install the fasteners whether it needs it or not...I'd rather be safe, than sorry. Plus it will save me from having to go back to the dealer before I'm due to.

So, just to confirm what everyone has been saying here...there IS a TSB currently issued for this problem, and ALL the dealers' service departments should have it, correct?

·
Registered
277 Posts
If your service department is unware of the situation, have them call Saturn. Yes, there is a TSB.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts