Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just having had my wheel rub problem repaired, I though I would tell you what to look for when your SKY is deliverd to see if it has been corrected at the plant.

Looking at the front of the rear wheel well at the point closest to the tire, a flat surface, if there is a plastic fastener installed on that surface then the problem has bee addressed. It is amazing what a simple hole and fastener can do, plenty of room now.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Ernest said:
Just having had my wheel rub problem repaired, I though I would tell you what to look for when your SKY is deliverd to see if it has been corrected at the plant.

Looking at the front of the rear wheel well at the point closest to the tire, a flat surface, if there is a plastic fastener installed on that surface then the problem has bee addressed. It is amazing what a simple hole and fastener can do, plenty of room now.:thumbs:
Any pics, Ernest? Thanks for the info.

(See? Not related to loading at all...)

·
Registered
276 Posts
The problem area on the inside of the wheel well is where the moulded in "bulge" is located. I'm wondering WHAT is hidden under this bulge? It must have been put there for a reason. If a simple bolt or fastener can draw it in far enough so it doesn't hit the tire, can there be anything behind it? I'm still under the impression that there is a newly designed fender well liner that doesn't need the fastener. I think maybe Ernest just got a quick fix like the ill advised wheel alignment was.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I received a wheel alignment back in March before this was a full blown problem. Just had new wheel wells installed Wednesday,mainly because my old ones were damaged. I had no further rubbing after the alignment. Also, I don't see any fasteners on the new wheel wells. Maybe since my wheels were aligned, they did not fasten? Who knows. Maybe each car needs a different solution. The bottom line, as long as your wheels don't rub anymore, you are good to go!! I have a good 1/2 inch of space now between the tire and the plastic :thumbs:

Is there a dealer who can actually get a hold of the TSB and update the forum on the correct fix?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are certain measurments required to locate correct position to drill. I watched the whole process and all he did was measure to locate drill point then push the fender wheel against, the metal body frame so the holes will line up, then they install the fastener, which pulls the fender well to sufficient clearence.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I think what "way2fast" is getting at is that the "drill a hole, and put a fastener fix" might be what they are doing for some that already have their car and that maybe the fix done at the factory on cars being built now, is different.

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Everyone keeps saying that they are using new wheel wells with new part #'s. If thats the case, then they probably won't have the fastener fix but be a redesigned wheel wells all together.

and what is that "bump" in the wheel well where the rubbing happens for anyway? I thought it odd when I test drove last month. If that wasn't there and the wheel well was just round like most cars, there would be no rubbing.
It must be for something, I guess.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
All I know is that they replaced the wheel wells because both were damaged, I did not see any difference in them. The fastemers used are standard, since mine did not arriv with the wheel wells, they got them from Chevrolet Parts Dept. The wheel wells themselves are being replaced because of damage done. With this fix the wheel wells do no need redesign. Imagine the cost to redesign. Sometime the simplest of solutions are the best, YUUP:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The quick fix came from the Engineering department at Saturn, I read the email. What it does is increase clearence between tire and wheel well, simple yet effective solution to problem. No alignment or anything involved.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Ernest, the redesigned ones may not be ready yet. They used a fastener on yours, realigned mine...they may be doing what they have to do on the ones on the road already until the new designed wells are available.

That is why I wish a dealer would post the TSB so we could all get the facts.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just got mine two days ago and both wheels are rubbing...more so on the passenger side.

Also the top is not aligning properly on the drivers side at the bottom of the window...it won't drop into the hole...anyone else with this problem?

And my cup holder (front one) sticks in the closed position...maybe I used too heavy a cup? :D

Again...just minor things, and Saturn will fix them...no complaints from me!

·
Registered
276 Posts
If the plastic wheel well liners HAD to be designed with that protrusion in them there HAD to be a reason for it (other than having it rub the tire thread) Whatever is UNDER that lump is also there for a reason. Drilling a hole in it to stress the plastic and pull it away from the tire with a bolt of some kind, sounds about as logical as altering a factory set wheel alignment. Whatever is under that bump, now has a hole drilled into it ! There is a BIG difference between a simple fix and the correct fix. I think Saturn has taken the easy (ie CHEAP) way out.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Stu's Sky said:
I received a wheel alignment back in March before this was a full blown problem. Just had new wheel wells installed Wednesday,mainly because my old ones were damaged. I had no further rubbing after the alignment. Also, I don't see any fasteners on the new wheel wells. Maybe since my wheels were aligned, they did not fasten? Who knows. Maybe each car needs a different solution. The bottom line, as long as your wheels don't rub anymore, you are good to go!! I have a good 1/2 inch of space now between the tire and the plastic :thumbs:

Is there a dealer who can actually get a hold of the TSB and update the forum on the correct fix?

Stu...are your new wheel wells any different from the original ones? Ernest said his were the same, just new since the originals were damaged. Was that the same case with yours?

On a side note...I was at my dealer today to have a peek at their 2nd Sky that came in earlier this week. The VIN # is 1026, and I closely inspected the wheel wells. While the tires don't appear to be rubbing, they are awfully close...can't even fit a finger in the space between the tire and that 'bulge' in the wheel well. So...if the factory has newly designed wheel wells that are supposed to be implemented, it looks like they haven't started using them yet.

·
Registered
277 Posts
nscrbug said:
Stu...are your new wheel wells any different from the original ones? Ernest said his were the same, just new since the originals were damaged. Was that the same case with yours?

On a side note...I was at my dealer today to have a peek at their 2nd Sky that came in earlier this week. The VIN # is 1026, and I closely inspected the wheel wells. While the tires don't appear to be rubbing, they are awfully close...can't even fit a finger in the space between the tire and that 'bulge' in the wheel well. So...if the factory has newly designed wheel wells that are supposed to be implemented, it looks like they haven't started using them yet.
My wheel wells look the same, they have the bulge. However, because my car had the alignment, I CAN now fit my finger between the tire and the bulge. When it rubbed, I could not. Seems car #1026 might have an issue.

My car had the alignment prior to Saturn directing their dealers NOT to do the alignment...this was back around the end of March. My wheel wells were replaced because they were damaged. I thought they were the redesigned ones, but they don't look any different. I will try to call my service manager this coming week and get some answers.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ernest said:
The quick fix came from the Engineering department at Saturn, I read the email. What it does is increase clearence between tire and wheel well, simple yet effective solution to problem. No alignment or anything involved.
Ernest picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thanks for the pic!

So if we are one of the (unlucky?) owners who do NOT have the fix or the new wheel well -- Is this something that has been communicated to Saturn dealers across the country? As in, are they are expecting to fix all those that went off their lots without the fix? Or should we wait until a problem is noticed?

I don't have the fix on my car and i never hear a rub, though there is evidence SOMETHING scuffed the very edge of the bottom wheel well, can't tell if it was the tire or something else on the road that maybe stuck to the tire that scraped it.

From a preemptive standpoint though, I'd like to fix it if its something that can be seen as a model wide problem, or is it isolated to just certain cars?

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
tweety said:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13189

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2899

(post #8)

Well what do you know about that?!
I wonder if the good people at Saturn read any of these Kappa boards or if my idea was just coincidence?
Either the Sky's have had more of this rubbing issue than the Solstice units have or the people in the Solstice forum didn't think much of my idea either.

Go figure.
I'd only say if its free and available by the Saturn dealership (no chance of voiding a warranty) I'd opt for the dealer to take care of it and save some effort on my part.

Very good post nonetheless and It seems like your fix is basically the same idea as the dealer's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is the 'bump' under the shroud.
This picture is of the bump and and power antenna lead going into the hole and grommet that I installed. Please don't comment on the marks made by my skating drill tip, it was a weak moment for me!

What I want you to also notice however is the additional hole up and to the left of the antenna hole. This is what I drilled to hold the shroud in place.
All this time I thought that maybe it was rubbing because I put the antenna behind it but I noticed it on the other wheel as well. Wasn't me after all eh?

Oh yeah, for those worried about what is behind this bump, there isn't a thing. Nothing, nada, zip. Only air. The bump is part of the structural gusset that holds the side skin just behind the door.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You know I should be pleased with the thought in my head that I came across a problem and fixed it on my own but something doesn't sit well with me. Then it dawned on me. Something that I saw a few posts earlier about where Saturn wants to put the new hole and the hole size.
15/64" hole. Why does that ring a bell I wonder?
Because that is what I told the Solstice people to do before any Sky's had started to show up.
Hole #1 is 15/64" diameter. This is for the fastener.
Hole #2 is for the shroud only and is 17/64" in diameter.
Some dude in Saturn probably got a new corner office for his brilliant money saving idea when all along he was probably reading the boards!:brentil: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
tweety said:
Some dude in Saturn probably got a new corner office for his brilliant money saving idea when all along he was probably reading the boards!:brentil: :banghead:
Yeah seriously! HAHA.

Well maybe they will send you a nice thank you in the form of a new weather strip or wicked ION keychain.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts