Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone
We are trying to get a good idea of what kind of wheels you guys want for the Sky and Redline. What would be your perfect wheel? :) And what better way to find out, that asking the owners and owners to be. As you all might know the Sky wheels are a very particular offset, size and pcd. But fortunately we have the resources to design and create any wheel, size and finish we want (within reason). Of course we will be going one of two styles depending on what you guys want. We will gather all the info and narrow it down to the most popular styles. So whether it be chrome, black, silver or white please post all the photos you can of what you think will work with the Sky.

Thanks for your help. :grouphug: Looking forward to seeing what you guys want. Make sure if you specify the finish you want on the wheel.

Neil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, in this application, I think either a set of HRE 547R's...

...or a set of Fikse FM5's...

...would look VERY nice. I would probably lean more towards the 547R's for the Sky. I've always been rather fond of both Fikse's and HRE's, but unfortunately for a lot of people, they are not exactly priced for those with thin wallets. For both brands, you're probably talking $3-4K/set.

So something like those in polished aluminum is my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
id love to have a set of the old viper rims on it!! im sure the bolt patter or lug are not the same tho right? How bout somthing with a nice deep dish lip on them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
wheels

I would like to have a set similiar to the torque thruster type or the old style Cragar SS wheels both in chrome. Both styles always looked good but not to much bling to take away from the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We need to see some 19 inch wheels. It's hard to just pick one, as people have different tastes for wheels, but I think 19inch wheels will look nice w/ the car. 20's are a little too big, and 18inch is getting common as stock wheel sizes in cars now.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Something in gun metal (some type of 5 stars) :thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Stig said:
Hey Everyone
We are trying to get a good idea of what kind of wheels you guys want for the Sky and Redline. What would be your perfect wheel? :) And what better way to find out, that asking the owners and owners to be. As you all might know the Sky wheels are a very particular offset, size and pcd. But fortunately we have the resources to design and create any wheel, size and finish we want (within reason). Of course we will be going one of two styles depending on what you guys want. We will gather all the info and narrow it down to the most popular styles. So whether it be chrome, black, silver or white please post all the photos you can of what you think will work with the Sky.

Thanks for your help. :grouphug: Looking forward to seeing what you guys want. Make sure if you specify the finish you want on the wheel.

Neil

From a web site after Googling:

What does PCD mean?

PCD stands for (pitch circle diameter), this is the diameter of a circle drawn through the center of your wheel's bolt holes. PCD is measured in millimetres and also indicates the number of studs or bolts the wheel will have. The most common fitment has 4 studs with a PCD of 100mm, hence the fitment 4x100.

What does OFFSET (et) mean?

This is where the wheel will sit in relation to the bodyline of the vehicle, realistically you can go 5-7mm outside these recommendations, but always consult a technician if you are unsure, as there are often other factors that need to be considered. Offset is usually stamped on the wheel and is measured in millimetres of et (et is the short form of the German word 'Einpresstiefe' which literally translates as insertion depth).

tino

·
Registered
202 Posts
How about going the other direction? Everyone thinks bigger is better when it comes to wheels. How SMALL can we go and still have clearance over the brakes? Will 16" wheels fit? How about a 17" compromise. Lightweight 17s will reduce your rotating mass giving you better accelleration and shorter stopping distances (as well as less expensive tires...)
I wonder if my GTO wheels will fit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My brother and I are most likely getting I-forged Aero's in 19s.

We are pretty sure we can get them, but have some back up options.

Intro GT Sport:

Also like the CCW SP500's @ www.ccwheel.com

HRE's Forgeline Kinesis there are MANY wheels out there that would look AWESOME on these cars :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I Have the Perfect Wheels

On MY SKY. If you surf through the other posts of mine you can see them, but on my SKY, I got 20" Foose Chrome Wheels.... I love them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Dimension of Wheels

GMinTheDriveway said:
How about going the other direction? Everyone thinks bigger is better when it comes to wheels. How SMALL can we go and still have clearance over the brakes? Will 16" wheels fit? How about a 17" compromise. Lightweight 17s will reduce your rotating mass giving you better accelleration and shorter stopping distances (as well as less expensive tires...)
I wonder if my GTO wheels will fit.
I'm shure the 16" will fit with the calipers. On my Opel Calibra Turbo I drive the 205/50 x 16" with the summer tires and 195/60 x 15" with the winter tires. The disk of the front brake has 288 mm dia thats only 8 mm smaler than in the Sky. So there is only a small distance with the 15" on mine the 15" won't fit but starting with 16" you can use all rim diameters up to 20".
I think you shouldn't increase the outer diameter of the wheel because there is only a few room left to the wheel wells. If you decrease the outer dia you will get a better acceleration, but if it's to small it may look ugly. If there is more than 3 % diffrence in diameter in germany we have to recalibrate the speedometer.
By the way I don't think you'll get a shorter stopping distance with the smaller wheels.

Some rim / wheel combinations you can use without problems:

18" 245/45*18 Ø 677,7 mm that's factory standard
17" 245/50*17 Ø 676,8 mm
16" 225/60*16 Ø 676,4 mm
16" 205/65*16 Ø 672,9 mm - the 16" maybe a good choice for winter tires

or bigger

19" 265/35*19 Ø 668,1 mm - big wheeler front
20" 275/30*20 Ø 673,0 mm - big wheeler rear - will fit in the wheel wells?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
C20LET_50 said:
I'm shure the 16" will fit with the calipers. On my Opel Calibra Turbo I drive the 205/50 x 16" with the summer tires and 195/60 x 15" with the winter tires. The disk of the front brake has 288 mm dia thats only 8 mm smaler than in the Sky. So there is only a small distance with the 15" on mine the 15" won't fit but starting with 16" you can use all rim diameters up to 20".
I think you shouldn't increase the outer diameter of the wheel because there is only a few room left to the wheel wells. If you decrease the outer dia you will get a better acceleration, but if it's to small it may look ugly. If there is more than 3 % diffrence in diameter in germany we have to recalibrate the speedometer.
By the way I don't think you'll get a shorter stopping distance with the smaller wheels.

Some rim / wheel combinations you can use without problems:

18" 245/45*18 Ø 677,7 mm that's factory standard
17" 245/50*17 Ø 676,8 mm
16" 225/60*16 Ø 676,4 mm
16" 205/65*16 Ø 672,9 mm - the 16" maybe a good choice for winter tires

or bigger

19" 265/35*19 Ø 668,1 mm - big wheeler front
20" 275/30*20 Ø 673,0 mm - big wheeler rear - will fit in the wheel wells?

Can you post a picture of your car with the 16" tires on it? I'd be curious to see how it looks. If you can.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
On MY SKY. If you surf through the other posts of mine you can see them, but on my SKY, I got 20" Foose Chrome Wheels.... I love them.
Just a question, what dimensions of tires do you use and what's the width of your 20" rims?
Thank you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That picture is quite a close up, you should show one a little further out :)

I don't think the wheels are bad looking wheels, but from this picture they aren't attractive, make the brakes look TINY. Zoom out and I am sure I will like them alot more :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hello Angel

Angelqute1 said:
Width of rims are 8 1/2"
Tires 245/35/18
Thanks for the info. With those tires you get an outer diameter of 628,7 mm that's 7,2 % smaller than the basic wheel. Do you notice a better acceleration as it should theoretical be? On the other hand your speedometer will show a 7,2 % higher speed than reality or did you adjust the speedo?

A word to my curious looking rims in that 16"*6" dimension with 5x110mm bolt dia and ET49mm (offset) I ran them on my old Opel Calibra Turbo from 1992.
This car has the first Opel Turbo 2.0 litre engine and this was the basis for the outcoming 2.0 Sidi for the Sky RL. This first Turbo engine (C20LET) has the same bore/stroke 86x86 mm with 204 hp and 280Nm at 2400. The car has the 16" turbo designed rims as basic out of plant. If the inner diameter will be the same or bigger as on the Sky I think I can use them for the winter tires. From the next year on we must use winter tires if we want to drive all around the year.
Does somebody know the inner dia? The dia of my rims is 65.1 mm (2" 9/16).

There is a picture of that 2 + 2 seater Calibra build from 1990 until 1997.
Only an example, mine is silver but looks the same.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
16" wheels will more then liekly not clear some of the components inside the wheel wells, and possibly have issues with the brakes as well. We've had some discussions on the topic at the SolForum before.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hello Brentil

I checked some rims upon their inner diameters. There is a minimum near the outside in the area where the brake disk and caliper are situated. My measurements:

15" rim >: 13" min - CMS (German producer)
16" rim >: 14" min - GM original
17" rim >: 15" min - Ford original

What I was thinking if on my Opel a 11.2" disk fits with 15" rim (winter tire)
my 16" GM rim should fit with the 11.7" disk of the Sky/Sol, because normally the caliper is the point of collision. I think that are similar thoughts that Shabby on the SolForum had with another example of rim.

The maximum inner diameters are at the inner side of the rim, those are between 1"1/4 up to 1"1/2 bigger than the minimum. There may be the problem with the front wheel double wishbone suspension. I looked again on the suspension pictures and it appears to me that the upper suspension ball point is far enough away; the downer i'm not shure if here could be a problem.

The best is to measure under the car. Find the nearest point to the inside of the rim. If it's 1/2" or more 17" will fit, if it's 1" or more even 16" will fit.
Can't measure myself because will not get a car this year :banghead:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts