Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Vendors!

This is just an inquiry to the progress of any dual exhaust catback systems you may or may not have in the works. I kinda thought that they would hit the market much quicker than it took for the sols parts to hit considering that they are the same.

slap a square tip on it and ship it my way? or is it necessary to incorporate an entirely different design for the Sky?

Thanks

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Woo HOO!

I just talked to David Borla, and he told me they are going to be able to come up with a dual exit design on my SKY. They are mocking up possible tip options and seeing what looks good... I should know more after a conference call with one of their engineers tomorrow morning.

I am Sooooo happy! Woo Friggin' HOO! :D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jdigiant said:
I just talked to David Borla, and he told me they are going to be able to come up with a dual exit design on my SKY. They are mocking up possible tip options and seeing what looks good... I should know more after a conference call with one of their engineers tomorrow morning.

I am Sooooo happy! Woo Friggin' HOO! :D
did it turn out that the catback is the same as the ones for the sols? or are they different somehow?

if they are the same, I'll just buy the sol one now, replace the tips... and off I go.

and congrats!!

·
Registered
52 Posts

Attachments

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
If you can wait a week...

I mean, my car is with Borla Performance now. They're still working out the issues on my prototype. If you can wait a week or so I should have the dyno charts and the results when combined with the CAI and everything. And, I'll probably even have pictures then, too.

David said that the SKY was a pretty unique car. It sounds like they may be doing something SKY-specific as opposed to just doing a Solstice system with different tips.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sweeet! dont know if I can make it a week! can we make it 2 days?? :jester: :jester:

·
Registered
877 Posts
What about the RL exhaust set up......... can it be done on a 2.4

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
twirp said:
I would not think a 4 cylinder would have a dual cat setup unless you split the exhaust manifold. I would have to think any & all aftermarket systems will be single till the muffler with dual outlets from there. I have to admit this is my first 4 cylinder so maybe Im wrong?
actually, I think your right. The ones I've seen for the solstice (if I remember right) are single pipe back to the mufflers which is where it splits to dual. so it is not a true dual exhaust. I believe the only one out right now that is a true dual is the one pictured above whos name I don't think I can mention because they aren't a supporting vendor on this forum.

the common opinion over on the sol forum seems to be that a true dual exhaust (2 pipes from front to back) is really of no benefit on a 4cyl of this power. I think someone said that it wouldn't really be beneficial till over 300hp.

I think they said the same thing about using 3" tubing... that it showed only like 1hp difference from 2.5, so they went with 2.5 to keep price down.

this is all from recollection from the sol forum so I might be off a little.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
usmc said:
sweeet! dont know if I can make it a week! can we make it 2 days?? :jester: :jester:
Aw, comeon, you chased a train for more than a week, you can wait in the shade for all the intel and specs for the Borla dual exhaust, caint ya? Think strategical...not tactical...or, just try not to "Want it now"....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skywulf said:
Aw, comeon, you chased a train for more than a week, you can wait in the shade for all the intel and specs for the Borla dual exhaust, caint ya? Think strategical...not tactical...or, just try not to "Want it now"....
LOLOLOL, your right, your right. I shouldn't be complaining, I do have something to drive now to pass the time.

:jester:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yep...I am waiting to see what the story is. This info that is out there will help us all get a feeling for what the dual exhaust will/won't do. As I said, I'm just a girl, but I would like the car to sound better, but being a practical sort, a boost of HP wouldn't bother me either...but will it be enough to bite into my shoe budget? Hmm?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
skywulf said:
Yep...I am waiting to see what the story is. This info that is out there will help us all get a feeling for what the dual exhaust will/won't do. As I said, I'm just a girl, but I would like the car to sound better, but being a practical sort, a boost of HP wouldn't bother me either...but will it be enough to bite into my shoe budget? Hmm?
I have listened to quite a few of the sound clips over at the sol forum and in my opinion, they sound pretty good. not to loud. at cruise speed, its not very noticable. When getting on it is when you notice the sound difference.

The sky duals should sound the same as the sols, or at least close.

They can be a bit pricey though. 500-1000 depending on brand and type and don't forget you need a rear facia that supports 2 outlets. I have no idea what thats gonna cost. you could cut the second hole in your current facia. I saw where one of the sol guys did this and it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hmm. I don't want it to sound obnoxious, I want it to sound serious..does it give any extra horse power or is it all sound? (I know nothing about dual exhaust)

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
Remember, the RL has one pipe with dual outlets on one muffler. A true dual muffler system will have to have 2 catalytic converters to make it legal...kinda expensive.

·
Registered
877 Posts
marlboromike said:
Remember, the RL has one pipe with dual outlets on one muffler. A true dual muffler system will have to have 2 catalytic converters to make it legal...kinda expensive.
would a 4cyl benefit that much from that set up?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
skywulf said:
Hmm. I don't want it to sound obnoxious, I want it to sound serious..does it give any extra horse power or is it all sound? (I know nothing about dual exhaust)
oh yes... extra HP.. I wouldn't be doing unless it was a performance boost. as far as being obnoxious.. I guess thats a matter opinion. I think they sound pretty good... nothing like a V8 but good for a 4cyl. but the next guy might think they are annoying. You'll have to hear it for yourself and make the call.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HotSky said:
I just want two pipes out the back!
same here. I think most of them at this point are actually single exhaust with dual outlets at the muffler.

I saw one pic of a true dual exhaust but I think it will cost in the 1000 range and probably not add much extra hp over the dual outlet version. I think you would need something like that if you were going to go 300+hp but with me trying for around 200bhp... dual outlet will be fine.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I posted an update on my baby's Borla Project over on the PERFORMANCE forum...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts