Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speedo, tach, fuel, and idiots lights/info readout. A sports car without full gauges!!

I have not noticed any discussion about extra instrumentation on the Kappas!! Sports cars with idiots lights - what were they thinking?

Does anyone know if there is anything coming available? As much as I don't like them, it looks like "a" pillar kits are the only viable alternative. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
snaponbob said:
Speedo, tach, fuel, and idiots lights/info readout. A sports car without full gauges!!

I have not noticed any discussion about extra instrumentation on the Kappas!! Sports cars with idiots lights - what were they thinking?

Does anyone know if there is anything coming available? As much as I don't like them, it looks like "a" pillar kits are the only viable alternative. Any thoughts?
if you are driving the twisties fast, you don't have time to look at anything but the road... do you watch the Tach for your shifts when you are driving the curves? i do it by sound and feel...
The computer monitors all the functions thousands of times every minute, and will warn you if something isn't right... in this case less is more, this is the 21st century we don't need to go back to the 50's for our engine monitoring.... you might as well take off the fuel Injection system and go back to carbs...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I agree with snaponbob. I like guages. But I think SkyMan 07 is right, they probably are not necessary.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Check out THIS. It is copied from my e-mail;

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Web submitted comment to White Auto & Media
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:30:03 -0400
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 11
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2869
Thread-Index: Acai5NglliR+OIZRQmm6BXv7XUs8kgACfQDA
In-reply-to: <[email protected]>

Yup we already are, should have some out soon :)

Chris White
White Automotive & Media Services
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 7:19 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Web submitted comment to White Auto & Media

Comment: Are you going to develope, or do you know anyone that has extra
gauges for the Solstice/Sky line?

Yup we already are, should have some out soon :)
Comment: Are you going to develope, or do you know anyone that has extra
gauges for the Solstice/Sky line?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Go get a Corvette!:banghead:

Lets see more gauges, power roof, and oh yes removable hard top, 500 HP, more colour selection than the 9 colours that we already have. What else are these guys complaining about? More storage so they can fit the wife, kiddies and two week groceries in the back seat?

Hmmm... and of course they want it for 10% less then M.S.R.P.:lol:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rick112 said:
Go get a Corvette!:banghead:

Lets see more gauges, power roof, and oh yes removable hard top, 500 HP, more colour selection than the 9 colours that we already have. What else are these guys complaining about? More storage so they can fit the wife, kiddies and two week groceries in the back seat?

Hmmm... and of course they want it for 10% less then M.S.R.P.:lol:
If I wanted a Z06 I would get one!! I just know that I do NOT have the self control to be in control of THAT MUCH POTENTIAL. Geez, bud, I just wanted to see a few more gauges. I didn't know I had to be a purist/minimalist to own a Kappa!!!:brentil:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Buy your extre gauges at Autozone. Cut your dash all up so that you can read the gauges going down tha road. I put my own Oil pressure and Amp Gauges in my Spitfire. It has Tach, gas, oil, amp, as well as turn signal. So just install what else you want in your Sky.........Skip...fully informed what my engine is doing at all times......:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
No no no... More gauges cluttering up the dash are not the answer. It takes time to refocus from the road to the dash and then back. What we really NEED is a heads up display!

With a HUD, we could control what it shows us. Engine data, navigation data, some combo of those...

That's what I want, a HUD!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
There's a digital boost gauge built into the DIC. Cool, but I still wish we had a dedicated boost gauge.

·
Registered
73 Posts
in a nutshell

jarcher said:
No no no... More gauges cluttering up the dash are not the answer. It takes time to refocus from the road to the dash and then back. What we really NEED is a heads up display!

With a HUD, we could control what it shows us. Engine data, navigation data, some combo of those...

That's what I want, a HUD!
HUD !!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I drive - not watch gauges...

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
snaponbob said:
If I wanted a Z06 I would get one!! I just know that I do NOT have the self control to be in control of THAT MUCH POTENTIAL. Geez, bud, I just wanted to see a few more gauges. I didn't know I had to be a purist/minimalist to own a Kappa!!!:brentil:

My frustration is that people don't seem to understand that this car was designed for a specific market. The designeers did an excelent job giving us a feature/design rich car in our budget. Budget = Market.

I'm a little tired of hearing people posting about all the things that make the Sky wrong because of the thousands of dollars of features the car doesn't have!

If the designers/GM/Saturn put all the extras on the Sky it would be out of the price range of the market it was designed for. Guys like me! I can't afford my dream cars. Corvette's, Vip's, Z3/4. This is a car that I can afford and looks good. If I want the extras I'll put them on as I can.

The Sky/Solstice will have a lot of mods available for it. Duel exhause, chrome grills, perhaps a turbo or super charger. Kappasphere already has a few.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rick112 said:
My frustration is that people don't seem to understand that this car was designed for a specific market. The designeers did an excelent job giving us a feature/design rich car in our budget. Budget = Market.

I'm a little tired of hearing people posting about all the things that make the Sky wrong because of the thousands of dollars of features the car doesn't have!

If the designers/GM/Saturn put all the extras on the Sky it would be out of the price range of the market it was designed for. Guys like me! I can't afford my dream cars. Corvette's, Vip's, Z3/4. This is a car that I can afford and looks good. If I want the extras I'll put them on as I can.

The Sky/Solstice will have a lot of mods available for it. Duel exhause, chrome grills, perhaps a turbo or super charger. Kappasphere already has a few.
Good grief. LIGHTEN UP:nono: You'll have an aneurysm when you need your first set of tires!!!:willy: :brentil: This is just a CAR. It is a car designed to a fairly specific market. But it's a car. The demo I drove had a squeak. Some cars squeak. And some cars - most cars - could stand to be improved no matter how well they hit their target market. We can certainly respect your budget, and the apparent fact that the gauges are not important to you.

Some of us are having a dialogue about gauges. If the conversation upsets you, well, read another thread. Some of the threads are of no interest to me, so I don't read them. It's a choice. Maybe that is why GM gave us choices in the Kappa lines instead a just one package. It's called choice. And I choose to shift myself and I like to have information on hand when I want to see it.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
All I'm saying is we have a number of people, like yourself, that jump on this forum and complain about what the car doesn't have. :nono: It gets a little tiring after a while. :banghead: :brentil: If you have a complaint then come up with a solution! Don't just knock our car! How bout telling us about some after market gauges?:thumbs: If the designers put everything on the car that people are saying should be on the car but isn't the Sky would be a $60,000.00 car. Well actually it would be a Corvette!:lol:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I agree that some people might think the car may need things added and there are after market places more than happy to add them. The complaints being made are not that the things are there it is that they should have been included. Rick112 rightly points this out.
I don't car about gauges -- you do
I don't care about auto raise roofs -- someone else does...
Fine; add them -- but don’t build them on -- then you become the $40,000 sports car, we don't want to be.
Out of one side of the mouth comes, "Finally a sports car a guy can afford"
The other side:
"What no mink-lined hot tub in the trunk??"

This should not be under "Things they should have added (to the cost)" But -- Stuff I am gonna buy for MY Sky..."
So not: What No Gauges
To: I have to get some gauges!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rick Tinley Park said:
I agree that some people might think the car may need things added and there are after market places more than happy to add them. The complaints being made are not that the things are there it is that they should have been included. Rick112 rightly points this out.
I don't car about gauges -- you do
I don't care about auto raise roofs -- someone else does...
Fine; add them -- but don’t build them on -- then you become the $40,000 sports car, we don't want to be.
Out of one side of the mouth comes, "Finally a sports car a guy can afford"
The other side:
"What no mink-lined hot tub in the trunk??"

This should not be under "Things they should have added (to the cost)" But -- Stuff I am gonna buy for MY Sky..."
So not: What No Gauges
To: I have to get some gauges!
True, true. But I am trying to get my head around "What no mink-lined hot tub in the trunk??". Mink line hot tub in WHAT trunk? Oops! There I go again:nono: That IS a funny vision!!!:lol:

Good features - lack of good features. I WANT MY REDLINE!!! :banghead: :brentil: :willy:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
snaponbob said:
True, true. But I am trying to get my head around "What no mink-lined hot tub in the trunk??". Mink line hot tub in WHAT trunk? Oops! There I go again:nono: That IS a funny vision!!!:lol:

Good features - lack of good features. I WANT MY REDLINE!!! :banghead: :brentil: :willy:
I wonder if a mink would fit in our trunk???:brentil:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
The sticker on my sun visor clearly states that minks are to be placed in the back seat, away from the airbags.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rick Tinley Park said:
Not with the non-power top down in the too small trunk that is just in back of the interior with bad cup holders and nowhere designated to hold a garage door opener or mobile phone behind the dashboard with not enough gauges monitoring an engine that isn't refined enough riding between tires that are incredibly expensive to replace if you get a screw through the sidewall that are no good in a driving snowstorm. :brentil: :banghead: :eek: :willy: :jester:

There. That ought to just about do it!!!:thumbs:

p.s. the folks on the Solstice Forums say the little foam cubes block the drains in the cheesy water bag in the trunk which leads to a boot full of water. And in summer you get a hot tub for that mink. Ha, full circle again!!:lol::deadhorse

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
snaponbob said:
Not with the non-power top down in the too small trunk that is just in back of the interior with bad cup holders and nowhere designated to hold a garage door opener or mobile phone behind the dashboard with not enough gauges monitoring an engine that isn't refined enough riding between tires that are incredibly expensive to replace if you get a screw through the sidewall that are no good in a driving snowstorm. :brentil: :banghead: :eek: :willy: :jester:

There. That ought to just about do it!!!:thumbs:
You forgot to mention the cheap materials and the poor fit and finish, particularly around the door handles which GM saved three cents on by stealing them from the Chevy Cobalt.

If you're gonna do this, do it right. Who do you think you are? GM?

Now THAT is full circle.
:leaving:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts