Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the welcome back messages! Sorry I've been missing for a while, but sometimes life distracts you from your friends and playing.

Some of you may know that for the past year and a half I've watched my boss who was like a second father to me deal with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). I worked side-by-side with him for over 16 years, so the past year has been tough. He passed from complications due to ALS on May 9th.

Since May was also ALS awareness month the ALS forum asks people to share their stories and I shared mine. If you have Facebook or a Twitter account please "like" my story or share it so we can be included in the "most shared" stories. If you have a friend(s) that will vote for me please forward it to them too.

I'm not asking for any money, just please help me spread awareness of what this disease does to people and the toll it takes on their lives. Thank you in advance for your vote/assistance.

I Watched, I Cry - The ALS Association

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Karen - I think I'd mentioned to you that we have a close friend who has ALS. He and his family have endured this terrible disease for over 20 years. When he was diagnosed he had two babies at home, now grown men. I have watched him wither into a cocoon, but he endures with a sharp mind but a useless body.

I literally came to tears when I got an email from him last year. A mutual friend had bought him a special computer setup and helped him learn how to use it with just his eye movements. It was perfectly typed and showed to me that he was still the same person deep inside the tomb that ALS had made for him.

I will surely vote for you on FB. Keep up the good fight. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
ALS a friend of mine also in Haven this year.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Karen - I think I'd mentioned to you that we have a close friend who has ALS. He and his family have endured this terrible disease for over 20 years. When he was diagnosed he had two babies at home, now grown men. I have watched him wither into a cocoon, but he endures with a sharp mind but a useless body.

I literally came to tears when I got an email from him last year. A mutual friend had bought him a special computer setup and helped him learn how to use it with just his eye movements. It was perfectly typed and showed to me that he was still the same person deep inside the tomb that ALS had made for him.

I will surely vote for you on FB. Keep up the good fight. :thumbs:
Thanks Rich, that's the toughest part, you watch them deteriorate and people act like they're not there anymore. Meanwhile Vinnie would send texts or emails (he could use his right hand) and you could totally tell he was still inside. His body just became his shell.

Larry - sorry to hear that, most PALs (people with ALS) don't get very long. Vinnie had a little more than 16 months after diagnosis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts