Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
just a nub?

I'm thinking that when I order my Redline - I will get the 6 disk changer and buy an iPod - wont have any need for commercial radio at all - might be too much trouble to completely remove the antenna mouting and all - so woudl need somethign to at least screw into the hole so as not to collect water and debris in there. on the other hand if someone comes up with a power antenna mod I would consider that (on the other hand I have had cars with power antennas and sometimes they are more trouble than they are worth).

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't intend to change antenna

indaskyz said:
Does anyone else agree the antenna has to go? I am looking to buy a stubby antenna. I seen this website: http://www.carccessory.com/product.asp?key=Stubby_Short_Antenna_ and was wondering if anyone recommends any. I am getting a silver pearl sky so should I get a silver one or a black stubby antenna?
The original antenna may not look good but it is the only one that will bring in those weak AM stations..We have two "oldies" stations here in LA 540 & 1260 (duplicate station), one is from Mexico and the other is from Beverly Hills (low power). With the small antenna I can say goodbye to these "oldies". Yes I know the satellite has "oldies" but that to me is not the same. Besides, I have the same antenna on my full sized Saturn and it looks just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the antenna is okay, I might change mine eventually. I mentioned this on a different thread, but if you get the car cover from the saturn dealer, it does not have the hole for the antenna. It gives you the grommet and I put in on myself. So, if you don't want to do it yourself I would have the dealership put it in for you.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
eldeeko said:
The original antenna may not look good but it is the only one that will bring in those weak AM stations..We have two "oldies" stations here in LA 540 & 1260 (duplicate station), one is from Mexico and the other is from Beverly Hills (low power). With the small antenna I can say goodbye to these "oldies". Yes I know the satellite has "oldies" but that to me is not the same. Besides, I have the same antenna on my full sized Saturn and it looks just fine.
I too listen to a lot on the AM band. Gotta have my Rush, Hannity, and Boortz at least like every day. Hooked on talk radio. CD's are for music. Skip....:) :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
this thread first scared me as I was a little confused.:confused: Thought I missed an option on having an antenna, or worse, that I was blinded by the looks and missed the ugly 3 foot wand off the hood. Then I became brilliant and notice the stubby tail on the back... I gotta get a life, well- First my Sky, then the life.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Whatever happened to Power Antenna's?

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
The standard antenna really isn't noticeable to me and anyone else that has admired my Sky. The car itself just looks so fantastic you forget that it's there (JMHO).

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
this thread first scared me as I was a little confused.:confused: Thought I missed an option on having an antenna, or worse, that I was blinded by the looks and missed the ugly 3 foot wand off the hood. Then I became brilliant and notice the stubby tail on the back... I gotta get a life, well- First my Sky, then the life.
That stubby tail is the ONSTAR antenna. The radio antenna is over the shoulder of the passenger seat. It extends into the sky not the Sky about two feet or so. It is hardly noticed iffen you have bad eyes like me. Some people like to change it to a stubble like 6 inches or so. Me I like listening to AM and FM and CD's What can I say I break out in song at the drop of a hat. It makes people think I'm crazy. Which I am . Just ask Ernest or Eldeeko or Skybaby or anybody. Skip the crazy one ......:D :) :willy: :willy: :willy:

·
Registered
483 Posts
NCBlue said:
The standard antenna really isn't noticeable to me and anyone else that has admired my Sky. The car itself just looks so fantastic you forget that it's there (JMHO).
:agree:

...not to say I won't change my mind down the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a stubby black one on my SOL. I love the way it looks. A friend has the chrome stubby on his SOL - that looks good too.

Definitely recommend a stubby. Get the matching locks - affectionately called "Chromies".

·
Registered
18,273 Posts
How Strong is the Signal

If u want a stubbie antenna...always remember this...it is not the antenna that brings in good reception as much as how strong the signal that is broadcasting...all depends on the location....

MarlboroMike....I have bought the 6 inch stubbie...

·
Registered
63 Posts
DuSpinnst said:
Whatever happened to Power Antenna's?

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/5221420048.jpg&s=x402

Sorry that the car was dirty when I snapped the pic.
Do a search on the net for a Metra PW-6. Trust me when I tell you that it is the ONLY unit that will fit in this car.
Crutchfield sells it and has a decent pic that blows up large enough to see it on screen.
It took me months to locate a unit that would fit and a few long weekends to put it in.
The motor locates near the rear tail lens and the aerial comes out where you see it on the car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
marlboromike said:
If u want a stubbie antenna...always remember this...it is not the antenna that brings in good reception as much as how strong the signal that is broadcasting...all depends on the location....

MarlboroMike....I have bought the 6 inch stubbie...
As a radio professional, the antenna is the most important part of any radio system. There is a lot of power transmitted on most big FM stations and any antenna will do fine for those.

As mentioned earlier, the AM band really requires a long antenna to get decent reception of anything but neighborhood stations, and to get the distant, out-of-state clear channel stations at night.

·
Registered
802 Posts
VUETH1S said:
As a radio professional, the antenna is the most important part of any radio system. There is a lot of power transmitted on most big FM stations and any antenna will do fine for those.

As mentioned earlier, the AM band really requires a long antenna to get decent reception of anything but neighborhood stations, and to get the distant, out-of-state clear channel stations at night.
Ahhh...finally! someone who understands radio wave propagation - Thank You!

·
Registered
802 Posts
tweety said:
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/5221420048.jpg&s=x402

Sorry that the car was dirty when I snapped the pic.
Do a search on the net for a Metra PW-6. Trust me when I tell you that it is the ONLY unit that will fit in this car.
Crutchfield sells it and has a decent pic that blows up large enough to see it on screen.
It took me months to locate a unit that would fit and a few long weekends to put it in.
The motor locates near the rear tail lens and the aerial comes out where you see it on the car.
Hey Tweety! That is nice. Is it set up to raise when the radio is turned on or is it a manual up/down arrangement? Looks like a good fit. Are the new cables long enough or can you use an adapter to connect to the original cable?

·
Registered
63 Posts
eldeeko-

When you are standing at the right rear of the car where the antenna is, open the rear shell.
Inside the shell close to you and under the carpet is the antenna termination. There is a male/female connection that provides a 12-18" rat tail to the aerial itself that is fed through a rubber grommet in the body. When or if you go with the power unit you will have to pony up the extra 5-7.00 for the GM adapter. I don't know why aftermarket and OEM have such an issue here but they do. Easy money I guess.
I pulled the grommet out, shot a few drops of dish soap into it and slid the adapter in. Popped the grommet back on and buttoned up the inside.
Now adding the unit itself is a bit of a bother. You have to pull the rear wheel, pull the inside shroud to expose the body.
After that I can shoot you the pics I took to get this in.
See-spot-run stuff but it took a lot of staring at this thing to make it work well in the space provided.
A side effect that I had to deal with is the tire rubbing on the shroud. I posted the pic here on the board under the rubbing topic about where I put the added fastener.
All is well now.
Ran the wires to the fuse panel (under the passenger's feet). I added a button mounted under the e-brake pull handle to loft it up or down. Shutting the car off lowers it automatically.
A few reasons for this install. I listen to CD's and XM more than local channels and didn't want the thing going up and down for no reason. And mostly because I didn't want to attempt pulling the dash apart to get to the head unit. A lot of work to tap into the FM signal.
The button was 4.00 and looks about the same color as the rest of the interior black finish.
The antenna is real quiet up/down. It is noisy at highway speeds when you hit mute. Slightly louder than the stock unit that comes with the car. But then again, for me to hear the music well I have the volume up more and the sound is gone.
When fully up it is well over the length of the stock unit. When down. Well, it isn't there is it?!

·
Registered
18,273 Posts
I am tired just reading the instructions...boy, do u have perserverence...I think I will stick with my 6 inch stubbie

MarlboroMike

·
Registered
802 Posts
tweety said:
eldeeko-..................The antenna is real quiet up/down. It is noisy at highway speeds when you hit mute. Slightly louder than the stock unit that comes with the car. But then again, for me to hear the music well I have the volume up more and the sound is gone.
When fully up it is well over the length of the stock unit. When down. Well, it isn't there is it?!
Thank you Tweety
I think that is enough info to get me going..I even saw one on EBay but with shipping it was just as much..I'll print out your instructions and keep them on hand until I get both car and antenna.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts