Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now it is common to see turbo back/catback exhaust upgrades on a forced induction engine like in the Sky Redline. In theory, in any turbo applicaiton, the less back pressure, the better meaning this kind of car would benefit from either a 2.5" or preferably a 3" turbo back exhaust.

I have a buddy who owns a shop and he is very interested in producing a 2.5" -3" turbo back exhaust for the Sky RL and the Solstice GXP.

My only question now is noise factor.

Obviously an upgraded exhaust system will produce more noise than the stock system. Would you guys prefer to have an exhaust made to be 100% peformance based that is kinda loud but very free flowing, or would you prefer a more quiet exhaust that is still much better than stock, but not as free flowing?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Make it sound like a fararri and I'll buy it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ruledawg said:
Make it sound like a fararri and I'll buy it!
I'm actually pretty sure it'll be almost impossible to make an inline 4 sound like a v12 ferrari :D It'd be nice though.

So I take it you'd prefer tone before performance or loudness?

·
Registered
304 Posts
tvieira24 said:
I'm actually pretty sure it'll be almost impossible to make an inline 4 sound like a v12 ferrari :D It'd be nice though.
Someone posted video with sound on the Solstice forum. Sounded more like a speedbike than a car. Is this pretty much what to expect from this type of engine with an aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well first of all, the solstice posted has the 2.4 liter non-turbo (NA) engine which is running a higher compression ratio which will make it sound much different than the Sky Redline's lower compression motor.

It's hard to say what to expect with this type of engine, simply because the direct ignition isn't something that is very common.

But it is safe to say that muffler design is CRUCIAL when it comes to loudness, flow and most of all, TONE. The number of resonators and the use of a catalytic converter in the system also affect the overall tone. I'm sure the direct injection can't affect the tone that much though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turbo cars (race or street) are typically about 1/2 as loud as a N/A counterpart with the same exhaust. Remember, turbos use alot of the wasted energy coming out of the motor and eat up alot of the noise in the process. I have built hundreds of V8's with superchargers and turbos and with the exact same cat-back exhaust, the turbo cars are much, much quieter. Many times, the turbo cars have gone with the absolute loudest exhaust trying to get a fairly loud car and it is still pretty quiet.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turbo cars (race or street) are typically about 1/2 as loud as a N/A counterpart with the same exhaust. Remember, turbos use alot of the wasted energy coming out of the motor and eat up alot of the noise in the process. I have built hundreds of V8's with superchargers and turbos and with the exact same cat-back exhaust, the turbo cars are much, much quieter. Many times, the turbo cars have gone with the absolute loudest exhaust trying to get a fairly loud car and it is still pretty quiet.

Mike
Yep, the turbo does do a lot of sound deadening as well as the fact that most turbo/supercharged motors run lower compression, which results in a different tone as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
tvieira24 said:

So I take it you'd prefer tone before performance or loudness?

i prefer tone/performance without being loud

·
Registered
80 Posts
Make it loud!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Talked to Kappasphere on 4/13/06, they will have a single and double out in a few weeks, the sound bite on the web site is very nice...seal9:lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts