Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which windscreen has been found to be most effective between the factory windscreen and the several slip-on versions that are currently being hawked? The aftermarket look best but do they really work? Does the factory unit work?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The problem is I don't know of anyone who's owned more then one, so it's extrmeley dificult to say which one functions better then any other one.

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
I don't know which one is better but I am getting one that has the LED lights in the word SKY etched into it...it is truly art....I know I cannot mention it on this thread...but if u want...when u put on the brake lights...it goes on...u can leave it on continuously....any color u wish on the LED's or LOGO...it really is a work of art...

MarlboroMike

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
marlboromike said:
I don't know which one is better but I am getting one that has the LED lights in the word SKY etched into it...it is truly art....I know I cannot mention it on this thread...but if u want...when u put on the brake lights...it goes on...u can leave it on continuously....any color u wish on the LED's or LOGO...it really is a work of art...

MarlboroMike
Can you PM me the URL?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
eldeeko said:
All one is trying to do is capture a bubble of air with a very slight difference in pressure. Seems the bigger the better, but there in lies the question..is it?
Bigger is not always better. You are talking about areodynamics and specially air/windflow. What you are trying to do with the windscreen is divert the windflow just enough to create a bubble of dead air in the cockpit. Too low and you get no difference, too high and you actually get more wind flow and increased drag.

I intend to get one so I can have the top down, windows up, and AC on in the summer and enjoy the open air ride without the blast furnace effect. :cool:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TexSon said:
Bigger is not always better. You are talking about areodynamics and specially air/windflow. What you are trying to do with the windscreen is divert the windflow just enough to create a bubble of dead air in the cockpit. Too low and you get no difference, too high and you actually get more wind flow and increased drag.

I intend to get one so I can have the top down, windows up, and AC on in the summer and enjoy the open air ride without the blast furnace effect. :cool:
If you find it let me know as I am looking for the same one.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The asenoff and similair designed ones like KappaSphere are lower down designs. I have the KS on my car now so I can tell you what these designs help with. To note though, these types of screens really don't provide their real benefit unless you also have the windows up. Windows down you get a lot of cross turbulance and it's hard to tell they're working.

I feel less "suckage" for a lack of a more descriptive term from the leg area. Previously the wind would pull the air from around my legs up and away in essence stealing any heat from the heater vents being blown out. Now my legs stay much warmer with the heat on. Also I feel less turbulance by my right hand when it's on the shifter.

The stereo doesn't have to be as loud anymore to here it at high speeds. At 80mph the volume level I used to use at 55mph works just fine. The autospeed control (which you have to enable since it's off by default) is much more noticable now too.

At higher speeds the wind in the cockpit at head level is decreased. So for example I get about the same air turbilance at 80mph that I did before at 55mph. My wife loves it since it messes her hair up less and doesn't try to steal her hats she wears at high speeds.

Now the GM screen his a much larger oval that sits up higher. Sitting up higher I would surmise that it could possibly offer a much higher level of turbulance blocking. So it might raise the area in the car where you start feeling the most turbulance. It's big and ugly though. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
The dealer windscreen is also about 3 times what the others I saw from the sponsers that are also, IMHO, better looking as they are clear and sit lower. Trade off, trade, off. It is a convertible and part of the reason to have one is to have the feel of the wind. Otherwise, just leave the top up...:D

I also like that the Senoff doesn't have to be removed to put the top up.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
eldeeko said:
Which windscreen has been found to be most effective between the factory windscreen and the several slip-on versions that are currently being hawked? The aftermarket look best but do they really work? Does the factory unit work?
Windscreen, on a roadster? Come on Eldeeko, give me a break. It's a roadster:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well it is so your wife/girlfriend won't mess up her hair.... not a problem for me though.....

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ernest said:
Windscreen, on a roadster? Come on Eldeeko, give me a break. It's a roadster:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
No, because the windscreen is supposed to give me a break! You have never heard so much pissing and moaning about a little bit of wind when walking the dogs as you get from my wife....No, I'd rather have the windscreen. It's either that or leave the damned top up! Of course when me and my baby are alone that is a different story...Yeah..Baby!

·
Registered
311 Posts
eldeeko said:
No, because the windscreen is supposed to give me a break! You have never heard so much pissing and moaning about a little bit of wind when walking the dogs as you get from my wife....No, I'd rather have the windscreen. It's either that or leave the damned top up! Of course when me and my baby are alone that is a different story...Yeah..Baby!
Are you married to my wife too! I didn't know she had another husband! How rude!:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
20 Posts
mglindo said:
Are you married to my wife too! I didn't know she had another husband! How rude!:lol: :lol: :lol:
HATS HATS HATS - You can offer to purchase for her hats to match any outfit. I have a great pink ball cap that I wear.....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
hixclan said:
HATS HATS HATS - You can offer to purchase for her hats to match any outfit. I have a great pink ball cap that I wear.....
Don't let Skybaby know that you have a pink ball cap. She will steal it. I even hid my pink undies so she won't wear them. they are pink because I was a dumbass and washed red shirt with white undies. Came out Skybaby pink. Hope noone ever sees me with my pants down or I will have some xplaning to do. Skip....:cheers: :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
in my opinion unless you are going to do alot of driving above 65 mph with the top down you don;t need the windscreen... I drove around all day yesterday withthe top down in 50 degree weather at speeed up to 60 and felt very comfortable, and not once did i feel like i was about to have my hat blow off...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am the new guy around here....I am hoping to be ordering my sky in the next couple of days....unlike most of you who are getting this as a rec car....this is my everyday car.....I know it may seem sacreligious to many of you....but I wanna ride in style....and practicality is low on my list right now!!!

Anyway as far as the windscreen...I really like the KS version it is stylish not real visible and on a thirteen hour trip from Cleveland to Kansas....no windscreen could get tough to handle as I refuse to put the top up on a sunny day!

75...top down...thirteen hours....wind could play a factor!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts