Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm seeking some more newbee advice.I purchased a probeam from DDM and I'm in the process of purchasing a downpipe with high flow cat.

My questions are which tune should I purchase. and does anyone have a dyno chart comparing the stock hard pipes vs the aftermarket ones. thanks

My plans are best bang for the buck mods. I probably won't buy an aftermarket turbo for it. I plan on doing a few autocross events and a few trackdays for fun. I have owned this car since 2013 and its my daily driver.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,084 Posts
The base Trifecta tune works well or you can go with one of the remote tunes from one of our vendors like DDM, Performance Auto Werks (PAW), RPM Motorsports or Hahn Racecraft. I have worked with both RPM and PAW in tuning my car and both are great options.

Trifecta use to be rock solid but I have heard some rumblings from folks trying to deal with them recently. I'd do some web searches and find newer reviews of their service.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just remember...if it's higher mileage, you risk blowing it up because the engine isn't worn in for more boost/hp/etc.... Might not be right away, but it can happen.

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
Just remember...if it's higher mileage, you risk blowing it up because the engine isn't worn in for more boost/hp/etc.... Might not be right away, but it can happen.
If an engine is maintained properly, high mileage is no reason to avoid adding power. Regardless of when it is done, more power is more likely to cause an engine to fail.

·
Vendor
692 Posts
Hello I'm seeking some more newbee advice.I purchased a probeam from DDM and I'm in the process of purchasing a downpipe with high flow cat.

My questions are which tune should I purchase. and does anyone have a dyno chart comparing the stock hard pipes vs the aftermarket ones. thanks

My plans are best bang for the buck mods. I probably won't buy an aftermarket turbo for it. I plan on doing a few autocross events and a few trackdays for fun. I have owned this car since 2013 and its my daily driver.

Thanks in advance.
There are no power gains with any charge tubes below 400hp that we have ever been able to document on our dyno or see independent documentation of. The stock charge tubes do have a "crushed" down bend, but the overall area of that area stays constant. Anyone saying there is power gains with charge tubes, especially on a stock turbo, either does not know how to test properly or has never tested them.

As for tunes, there are several options out there, basically they will all give you about the same power on a stock K04 turbo. The stock car makes around 260hp at the crank and with drivetrain losses that equates to 215-220hp at the wheels. The GMPP tune took that number to 255hp at the wheels and most all the aftermarket tunes with that high flow cat, will get you around 290hp at the wheels. The stock K04 turbo will not flow more than 300hp at the wheels on our dyno. Some dyno's are optimistic, so these numbers might skew a little depending on what the stock dyno numbers were.

As for reliability, if the tune is decent and you are not getting knock, the stock 2.0L LNF engine is pretty strong and will take 400hp at the wheels, so upper 200's is not stressing it that much. If you are really concerned, you could do a compression and leak down test on the engine before modding it to know that the health of it is relatively good.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
There are no power gains with any charge tubes below 400hp that we have ever been able to document on our dyno or see independent documentation of. The stock charge tubes do have a "crushed" down bend, but the overall area of that area stays constant. Anyone saying there is power gains with charge tubes, especially on a stock turbo, either does not know how to test properly or has never tested them.
YES! This has been my theory and nice to see it vindicated.

Other's have argued that, even though the cross-sectional area may be the same, the shape modification reduces power due to causing airflow turbulence, but my response to that has always been how can that have any real effect compared to the 'turbulence' caused by pushing that same flow of air through the tiny holes and pipes in the intercooler?

Thanks, Dave.

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
Pressure drops are cumulative through a system, so the turbulence through the IC does not eliminate the possibility of additional losses due to turbulence in a poorly formed elbow.
The fact that it doesn't in this case does not eliminate the possibility that it could, which is why actual testing is so important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts