Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sunburst yellow RL on order with the polished alloy wheels. I figured i'd save $500 and get them rather than the chrome. I have read here that they are very similar looking. What are your thoughts on polished vs. chrome on yellow? Is there a significant weight difference between the two?

Thx..... <<Waiting in Kansas>>

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have polished wheels on my SRT-4 and will never buy polished again. Too much maintenance if they're not clear coated. I don't know if the Sky wheels come with a clear coat but if not I would definately choose chrome...........in fact I did. :thumbs: To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can buy clearcoat at the parts store. I use it on many surfaces to reduce corrosion etc.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i have the Silver on mine and think they actually look good with the yellow
i have had polished on both my show trucks and would get them again ! they do take work to keep up but id rather have to polish a rim then have those chromes ones and the chrome start to fail after a while.. lot more money to have a rim chromed as it is to just hit is with polish...

"MOPARRBUST" if you havent try HOLLYWOOD polish no effort with it and they will look brand new after AMAZING STUFF

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Chromes do look good--but personally I think they're overkill on the Yellow and even on some of the other models. But they look awesome on the Black Sky IMO.

I think the Painted base wheels are OK on the Silver Pearl and the Yellow (they match the Silver Pearl nicely and the Yellow exterior "pops" enough without the Chrome)

I think the Polished are the perfect compromise on several exterior color Skys. I ordered Polished for the Silver Pearl and I think its a good choice. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Polished wheels on any Sky

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I ordered, I thought the chromes were too much, especially for a red car. I am really happy with the polished - here is a picture of what they look like.
Good luck making your decision!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
"MOPARRBUST" if you havent try HOLLYWOOD polish no effort with it and they will look brand new after AMAZING STUFF

I haven't tried that...........I use Mothers Billet metal polish; works great. I just got tired of having to polish my wheels EVERYTIME I wash my car. They do look like chrome when clean.............so why not just get easy to maintain chrome?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
invest in hollywoods then and you wont be doin it EVERYTIME or every other blows mothers and all them outa the water its like zaino for your wheels.. and i dont think chrome are easy to maintain..

·
Registered
141 Posts
polish is a bit more to take care of than chrome or standard... i like the standard look... the car is flashy enough without the chrome wheels, then again I have some AMP aftermarket chromies on mine so what do I know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
polish is a bit more to take care of than chrome or standard... i like the standard look... the car is flashy enough without the chrome wheels, then again I have some AMP aftermarket chromies on mine so what do I know.
I agree that polished is a bit more to take care of but I've had them on my red Sol and love them. I see others like different products and I've tried many. The best in my opinion is WheelWax. Simple to apply and a couple of coats and your all set for a good long time. I also am faithful to Sal Zaino's products and I will swear by Wheelwax (about $10 bucks a can.) The chrome was constrained when I ordered my car but I wasn't dissappointed at all with the polished.:)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I would be amazed if the polished wheels were NOT clear coated. If they are NOT, they can be clear POWDER COATED. Really. The process is not really real expensive, but it will require the car being on jackstands while the tires are dismounted, wheels powdercoated, tires remounted and balanced, then back on the car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Chrome are a little bit heavier (1-2lbs) and IMHO are more difficult to keep clean. Or at least they look worse when dirty. We have chrome on our Sky and you have to make sure you get every square inch or you get ugly spots that stick out like a sore thumb. At least with pollished, the water spots don't show up as much so if you do a quick wash, or drive right after a wash they are not going to look horrible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts