Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - I see that the windscreen is a dealer option, Kappasphere has one, one is advertised on this site, and I saw one on Ebay. Can one or two of you guys help me out and tell me if there is any difference in these besides prices ?????:confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
I got the Jay Senoff model

The OEM version is an ugly oval mesh thingy. It might do better at blocking the wind, but it's "peculiar" in it's looks. Personally, I think it detracts from the lines of the car, so I won't be going that way.

The Jay Senoff works well. It's small and clear plastic. It was a bear for me to bust loose the screws where it mounts - musta been turned by a gorilla at the factory - but once it was in it made a huge difference. Best benefit is if you go with the side windows up. It keeps a nice warm pocket of air in the cockpit. I've been zipping around at night with temperatures in the 50s and it has kept me toasty.

I am intrigued by the KappaSphere model. I like the quick-removal feature. Jay Senoff says you don't need to remove his with the top up, but it has to rub against the back window and it's likely to pinch the canvas crammed into the slot where it goes. It has to. I think it would be better to have it removed when the top is up - particularly for prolonged periods - so I am seriously thinking of ordering the KappaSphere one, too, just to see which I like better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
I have ordered the KappaSphere windscreen, and plan to install it on Saturday (June 2). I'll take pics and let you know what I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,480 Posts
the one on e-bay is actually a kappascreen....but he etches designs onto it, with LED's...very talented man...i have it myself and it is awesome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
marlboromike said:
the one on e-bay is actually a kappascreen....but he etches designs onto it, with LED's...very talented man...i have it myself and it is awesome
do yu remove yours with the top up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
On other threads on the Kappashere screen (there must be tons..lol), the manufacturer says you can put the top up without removing the screen for instance if you are parking the car. The screen will rest against the top's rear window but it won't do any harm.

What they recommend NOT doing is driving around with the screen in place with the top up. That will keep rubbing against the glass & possibly lead to damage to the defog wires, etc.

But they also say it also only takes a few minutes to take off & store in its case (no screw removal necessary), so it might not be too much of a bother to remove for driving with the top up...

For a great solution to the rubbing of these shields when the top is up & your driving, see ggccg's innovative solution here:
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4855
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
All that I can say about top up...

I just washed the car with the windscreen still installed and the canvas top protruding through the trunk, and it took me about three slams to get the trunk closed. Just about the only time that the top will go up is when I wash it. (The advantage of living in an arid region where it hardly rains). I'd be concerned about the rubbing and the general difficulty of operating the trunk with the top up and an unnecessary piece of lexan (or whatever) wedged in there...

The rubber footies will help with the rubbing, but you're still left with wedging that screen in there with the canvas, too. I can justify the fit saying that the windscreen takes the place of the canvas with the top down, but trying to cram both in there just doesn't seem like a swell idea...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
ggccg said:
The only Sky windscreen I can find on Ebay is Jay Senoff's:
Go to Saturn Sky Designs. This is the guy that does the laser etched windscreens. The web sie is a little incomplete, but there is a phone number to call him.

On ebay, the guy's ID is:
www_exclusivecustoms_net
It's NOT a web site, it's his ID at Ebay. Those are supposed to be underscores in the Ebay ID name. Do an "advanced" search at Ebay and look for "sellers" named: www_exclusivecustoms_net

As I type this, he doesn't have any listed for Skys on Ebay. If you call, I'll bet he could do one up for you. He even did one for "marlboromike", and he's from New Jersey.:jester:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
3,491 Posts
Pics of the Jay Senoff model

Here's three shots of the Jay Senoff windscreen installed...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jdigiant said:
Here's three shots of the Jay Senoff windscreen installed...
I really like it :thumbs: I think it looks factory its so nice. Thanks for the pics :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I have the OEM, and I actually like it. There are 5 advantages that I can see for the OEM:

1. It can be left on all the time. You can't tell from the pictures, but it is actually curved slightly. As long as you put it in with the curve going the right way (forward), it has a little clearence and doesn't rub anything. We leave ours on almost all of the time.
2. It is bigger, so it is more effective. Blocks more wind.
3. It can be removed in 2 seconds. It has two posts that sit inside two holes that the dealer drills into the area between the headrests. If you don't want it there, just reach back and pull it off. I thought that the holes would be an eyesore when the windscreen is removed, but they aren't. The dealer installs some matching trim around the holes that make it look great.
4. Since the dealer installs it (drills the holes and installs trim around the holes), there is nothing for the owner to do. No screws to unscrew, etc. On a new car, I just don't trust myself to do anything to it.
5. Since it is installed between the two headrests, there is no issue with the plastic causing the trunk to be hard to close. And we don't really know if there are any possible long-term problems to that.

To be honest, there are some disadvantages:
1. It isn't as attractive. No getting around that fact. That is somewhat medigated by the fact that it is so easy to take off, and you can remove it in 2 seconds whenever you want the absolute best look.
2. It is more expensive.
3. It is mesh, not clear. Looking back through the rear-view mirror looks like you are looking through a tinted window.
4. As mentioned, it requires the dealer to drill 2 rather large holes. But with the trim that is added, the holes honestly don't look bad.

When we bought the car, it didn't originally have the windscreen. But my wife really wanted it. So since she was letting me get this cool car, I figured that the least that I could do was have the windscreen installed. But now I'm glad that we did. She has beautiful long hair, and in other convertibles she was hesitant to put the top down. Now we go everywhere with the top down, and she no longer has tangles and knots. A true win-win situation.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Titan Fan said:
I have the OEM, and I actually like it. There are 5 advantages that I can see for the OEM:

1. It can be left on all the time. You can't tell from the pictures, but it is actually curved slightly. As long as you put it in with the curve going the right way (forward), it has a little clearence and doesn't rub anything. We leave ours on almost all of the time.
2. It is bigger, so it is more effective. Blocks more wind.
3. It can be removed in 2 seconds. It has two posts that sit inside two holes that the dealer drills into the area between the headrests. If you don't want it there, just reach back and pull it off. I thought that the holes would be an eyesore when the windscreen is removed, but they aren't. The dealer installs some matching trim around the holes that make it look great.
4. Since the dealer installs it (drills the holes and installs trim around the holes), there is nothing for the owner to do. No screws to unscrew, etc. On a new car, I just don't trust myself to do anything to it.
5. Since it is installed between the two headrests, there is no issue with the plastic causing the trunk to be hard to close. And we don't really know if there are any possible long-term problems to that.

To be honest, there are some disadvantages:
1. It isn't as attractive. No getting around that fact. That is somewhat medigated by the fact that it is so easy to take off, and you can remove it in 2 seconds whenever you want the absolute best look.
2. It is more expensive.
3. It is mesh, not clear. Looking back through the rear-view mirror looks like you are looking through a tinted window.
4. As mentioned, it requires the dealer to drill 2 rather large holes. But with the trim that is added, the holes honestly don't look bad.

When we bought the car, it didn't originally have the windscreen. But my wife really wanted it. So since she was letting me get this cool car, I figured that the least that I could do was have the windscreen installed. But now I'm glad that we did. She has beautiful long hair, and in other convertibles she was hesitant to put the top down. Now we go everywhere with the top down, and she no longer has tangles and knots. A true win-win situation.:)
could I beg you for pics ????:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Vehicle door Notice the slight inward curve. Just enough so that it doesn't touch the top when it is up.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Saturn sky You can see the windscreen with the top up on the tan one on the left

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Saturn sky Sports car This one was taken with my digital camera through the showroom window.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Red In this one you can see the trim around one of the holes with the windscreen removed.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Pontiac solstice

These are a few that I could find. I'll be glad to take some more detailed pictures of the windscreen tomorrow if you would like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:grouphug: thank you so much for the pics and advice! I really appreciate it guys. Titan Fan - that is one sharp car. Makes me wanna go Red.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
I only have one question... DOES IT REALLY WORK????? and is there ALOT of difference??? ooops.. that is more than one... i guess i need to learn to count also SkyBaby-07
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
A few more pic's of Jay's. :thumbs: These have the chrome trim on the top. It kind of blends in with all the other chrome on the car. I have not given it the high speed test yet. Just local roads at 45 so far.
:cheers:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
It works well...if the windows are up. With the windows down, the wind still comes in from the sides and you can't really tell much difference. Usually my window is down and my wife's window is up, and she says that it helps a lot. She still gets some wind, but nothing like what she gets without it. Without it, her hair is tangled and has knots. With it, when we get where we are going she just brushes her fingers through her hair and it's fine.
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
8,861 Posts
Titan Fan said:
It works well...if the windows are up. With the windows down, the wind still comes in from the sides and you can't really tell much difference. Usually my window is down and my wife's window is up, and she says that it helps a lot. She still gets some wind, but nothing like what she gets without it. Without it, her hair is tangled and has knots. With it, when we get where we are going she just brushes her fingers through her hair and it's fine.
Thank you so much... i always have the windows down.. so i guess it wont help out much.... SkyBaby-07
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
ineedmorebotox said:
:grouphug: thank you so much for the pics and advice! I really appreciate it guys. Titan Fan - that is one sharp car. Makes me wanna go Red.
You are welcome. And thanks for the complement about our car. By the way, my wife can help with the botox. She's a cosmetic surgery nurse, and injects botox every day! :)
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top