Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a result of sporadic white exhaust smoke at idle with no power loss, by process of elimination, im looking to first replacing or rebuilding the turbo, hoping that the white smoke is just a matter of worn out seals. Any suggestions on either replacing or rebuilding options? Been out of the Kappa game a while. Don’t want anything too crazy or aggressive. I’m more concerned with reliability and driveability.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, I’m just hoping it’s not a new engine!!

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Check oil and coolant levels to see if

1. They are lower than usual. Check regularly.
2. Check for water in the oil or oil in the water.

These will help narrow down what you're seeing. It will also eliminate some more sinister issues.

Next, do a compression check on each cylinder. If a cylinder is low on pressure, you may have some bad rings which are letting oil get by.

IF compression is good and oil is getting lower, chances are it's your turbo. Currently I'd talk to Martin Scott at RPM about getting a stock turbo if that's the route you want to go. If you want a bit more power you can go with his Big Wheel turbo but then you'll need a tune also.

I think only ZZP and RPM currently offer the stock turbo rebuilt but PAW and DDM might too...

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the direction guys.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Turbo seals, or bad rings, or the head gasket would be my guess. Compression check should confirm or deny any questions to the white smoke issues.

Loss of oil? Milky or mix of water/oil ? Any signs on the turbo itself? Loss of power?

Turbo first, then maybe the head gasket... with the rings last. IF an engine tear down happens you could upgrade the internals at this point if there is money in your budget?

LAC

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar issue with loss of coolant as well. Found it is the turbo seals are bad and it needs rebuilt. Anyone on here have recommendations for a relatively inexpensive rebuilder? Im in the midwest area and would prefer to keep it as local as possible. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is it steam or smoke? My car always has a bit of "steam" on cooler mornings and days. There's a big difference. Steam disappates rather quickly, where smoke tends to linger.....If it's gone in a half second, it's steam and probably nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check for turbo shaft play, if ok check engine compression if low before rebuilding the engine try RESTORE engine treatment it does wonders according to many people on YouTube

1 - 11 of 11 Posts