Saturn Sky Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who came up with the Smart Idea of Making The Sky A Limited Production..I even talked to like two Saturn Rep. and they said GM was really retarded for doing that...What was the point of making it a Limited Prod. car?

·
Registered
72 Posts
its not a limited production, its just that its a low volume production car, only 10,000 units or so a year. The roadster market is a niche market and not overly huge. Competition is fierce in this market, and I don't blame GM for being cautious with their estimates (I mean they're facing the mighty miata which has owned this segment for quite some time). There's also the manufacturing process of the sky. The sheet metal for both the sky and solstice are hydroformed. Hydroforming panels takes a much longer time than stamping out of steel (relatively speaking). But with hydroforming, its much easier (read possible) to press out the exotic shapes of both kappa cars without warping the metal to a point of being to thin in certain spots, or just messing up the sheet of steel. You may ask why they don't use this process on the vette? That has lots of nice curves, well the vette is fiberglass/plastic with a few parts made out of magnesium or aluminum. All the sexy bits are the plastic/fiberglass parts. Ferrari's have sexy shapes as well, but I believe they use carbon fiber to produce their nice shapes, etc.... I hope this was informative :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its a limited production car because it is limited in production capabilities. GM is going to produce 4 cars out of this one plant therefore parts,time and labor restricts it. They are building the Sky, Solstice, Opel, & I presume the Daewoo from this single factory. It would most likely not be cost effecient long term to convert another factory for a 2-seater vehicle. Remember that any new car is usually in demand early but sales will drop after the excitement falls off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so out of all the GM{which is the largest of car manufacturers} factories, the sky can only be made in 1..thats retarded, even a saturn rep told me that when i went to a dealer

·
Registered
370 Posts
I like the limited production quantities. It makes the Sky more special. When they become common on the road they will not have the rock star appeal

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its actually not gonna be that special cause everybody knows its a $20,000 car....and in 2-3 years the Saturn Dealer Rep. told me it was gonna have the option of being leased and more produced..so i guess you can say your gonna feel a lil special the first year of buying it but after that everyone interested is gonna have 1, and by the time 2-3 years passes there most likely gonna improve the Sky's exterior and interior or have some new features. So how are you gonna feel then...........

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
From what I've heard it wasn't the dealers idea! One dealer told me he was sold out and wishes he had more because he could have sold a hundred more of them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
SaTuRnSky006 said:
Well its actually not gonna be that special cause everybody knows its a $20,000 car....and in 2-3 years the Saturn Dealer Rep. told me it was gonna have the option of being leased and more produced..so i guess you can say your gonna feel a lil special the first year of buying it but after that everyone interested is gonna have 1, and by the time 2-3 years passes there most likely gonna improve the Sky's exterior and interior or have some new features. So how are you gonna feel then...........
Are you here for honest information or just to be a troll? :nono:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
GMinTheDriveway said:
Reads like a pretty level headed assessment and question to me.
I'd like to hear an objective informed opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Why limited production?

1) The Sky (and Solstice) are mostly hand built, and only so many can be made per year. Those two plus the Opel GT will basically consume 3 shifts of workers (plant runs around the clock) and they will get between 30,000 and 40,000 cars out the door per year.

2) Yes, initial demand is really high, but history has proven that demand for a sports car of this nature falls off dramatically 2-3 years into production. They key is to produce the number of cars that will be demanded over the hole life of the car. If you can sell 20,000 today, but only 7,000 in 3 years, and you gear your production to produce 20,000, you will be paying a lot of workers to do nothing in 3 years when you cannot sell the car. However, if you average out the overall demand at 10,000 cars per year and stick to the figure, and then hire a workforce to make that many vehicles, you will be getting the most for your money on labor for the lifespan of the vehicle.

3) Why not? What is really wrong with GM having a car that is in high demand, and that gets people to pay sticker price for it? That seems to be the ideal situation for any automaker. To have a car line purchased at sticker price. No rebates, special financing, or other costly incentives. It also helps keep resale high, since the number one killer of resale is overproducing a car and then putting big rebates and incentives on the hood. Nobody will pay more for a used car than a new one, and as the value of the new one is erroded from overproduction, the value of the used ones plumet.

4) The two seat roadster markert is basically a steady 100,000 units per year. GM has to take a bite of that market with this and the Solstice. They cannot plan to double or triple it, since that is very unrelistic and unlikely.

5) Why one factory? Everybody is doing it? Nearly ever car built is built in only one factory. The Mustang? One factory. The Mazda MX-5? One factory. The Corvette? One factory. The Mercedes SLK? One factory. The Charger? One factory. The Honda Accord? One factory. It costs tons of money to tool a factory to produce a car line. It would make no sense to tool multiple factories for a car that is produced in the low hundreds of thousands, much less tens.

So is GM retarded for keeping production low? No. Even if some people cannot get one right away and will have to wait, they are still making a good overall business decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SunneySky said:
I like the limited production quantities. It makes the Sky more special. When they become common on the road they will not have the rock star appeal
I agree, I like that it's a low production car, makes it seem almost exotic in a way :thumbs: that and the looks...

·
Registered
202 Posts
cerberus said:
You can lease one now (if you can find one, of course) Chase bank has a lease program for the SKY.

And it doesn't sound level headed to me- it sounds bitter and immature.

People aren't having issues with the SKY being limited production, they are having issues with limited availability which is not the same thing.

I'll bet a large portion of impulse-buyers will tire of the car in a year or two due to its impracticality (which is contrary to all other Saturn vehicles) and end up dumping it or parking it and getting another vehicle, while those who wait, realize what the car is to do for them (realistically) and own several other vehicles for different tasks will keep the car for quite some time, or until another vehicle "does it better" for them.

Saturnsky006 seems to be all about sour grapes. I will wait for the sweet ones.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
SaTuRnSky006 said:
so out of all the GM{which is the largest of car manufacturers} factories, the sky can only be made in 1..thats retarded, even a saturn rep told me that when i went to a dealer
Thats why he sels cars and doesn't build them.

The demand for a 2 seat roadster is VERY limited. Why would a compant FLOOD the market with a car and be left with an invetory? Car sales are like comedy -- leave them laughing and wanting more.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
GMinTheDriveway said:
You can lease one now (if you can find one, of course) Chase bank has a lease program for the SKY.

People aren't having issues with the SKY being limited production, they are having issues with limited availability which is not the same thing.

I'll bet a large portion of impulse-buyers will tire of the car in a year or two due to its impracticality (which is contrary to all other Saturn vehicles) and end up dumping it or parking it and getting another vehicle, while those who wait, realize what the car is to do for them (realistically) and own several other vehicles for different tasks will keep the car for quite some time, or until another vehicle "does it better" for them.

Fair enough. Thanks for your input on the topic.
I recognize that the post has multiple aspects to it which will could cause folks to react to,
and appreciate that you'd spell things out a bit.

I'd agree that there will be a fair amount of impulse buying, and the car's utility can sour one past the honeymoon period.
I guess I zeroed in on the year-1 uniqueness and how that will play out in subsequent years.
Will this model reenergize attention on roadsters from others?
Always thought the niche roadster market tended to have a hot period of about 18 months to reach a level of saturation
where zealous interest and "specialness" dropped off.
Limiting production seems the only rational way to approach.

So, with planned production targets, any guesses to how long the car stays hot?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GMinTheDriveway said:

yea i am kinda "bitter" that it is almost impossible to get the Sky because General Motors are being bitches and dont wanna regularly produce the car. A small tip for GM would be even if you loose a little money, which they definitely have a lot of, they should sacrifice. Im all about "Sour Grapes"?? im just stating the obvious flaws concerning the Sky and GM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
redline14 said:
I agree, I like that it's a low production car, makes it seem almost exotic in a way :thumbs: that and the looks...
It cant Be exotic if it's $20,000....Period..i dont care how it looks...thats the same price range as a Hyundai

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cerberus said:

What i said wasnt an opinion, it was fact. You really think in 2-3 years the present Sky is gonna look/be the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
GMinTheDriveway said:

WTF are you talking about??? IF your not gonna reply to my question with something dealing with the question, then dont post.....What did i say so wrong that offended your insecure a**. :nono:

And that Chase Bank Offer of leasing the Sky is most likely exclusive to your state..your so slow, stop trying to be a hero to the forum and defend it against me. Its not like that, stop trying to make it out to be like that...also you dont have the intelligence to go against me on any argument/subject..Dont come back at me with all your research and information, i dont wanna hear it..lets just end it here ...1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.