Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious; why is it going to be released as a 2007?

Wouldn't it just be a late model 2006?

It just struck me as odd that the dealer put 2007 for the model year on my deposit/pre-order contract earlier this evening.

(yes, I should be first run allocation, as it's a larger city dealership, and I have slot #7)

Your thoughts?

E.

·
Registered
554 Posts
New models tend to be introduced as the next year. The Solstice was introduced as a 2006 model year in 2005. Maybe this gives the manufacturer time to get sufficient numbers produced before the year actually starts.

·
Registered
328 Posts
With production starting in March and the Sky being a low production car ... most will not be in a Sky until mid Summer (if you are lucky) ... so saying it is a 2007 will not be too far off.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
By law, any car introduced (as in produced for retail sale) after January 1 of any given year MUST be designated at the NEXT year model.

Produced for sale on or after January 1, 2006 MUST be designated as a 2007 model year.

Now, it is possible to build a select "few" cars for retail sale in December, 2005, and thereby call it a 2006 model year, but that is somewhat like playing games, and is certainly not intended for the Sky.

The Sky has always been intended as a 2007 Model Year car, AFAIK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh...

good answers guys. Thanks. Makes sense now.

Now, you mentioned, 'mid summer'.... LOL.

You really think the first run allocation will last that long?

I thought they'd all be distributed within 6-8 weeks from initial release. (which everyone is speculating like late March, early April)

(Yes, I know that speculation is purely vapor as that can change easily based on when GM decides to even begin assembly...)

Oh well. If it's mid summer, gives me more time to stuff cash into the downpayment fund...

E.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good Question...I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the answer! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
kappaman said:
By law, any car introduced (as in produced for retail sale) after January 1 of any given year MUST be designated at the NEXT year model.

Produced for sale on or after January 1, 2006 MUST be designated as a 2007 model year.

Now, it is possible to build a select "few" cars for retail sale in December, 2005, and thereby call it a 2006 model year, but that is somewhat like playing games, and is certainly not intended for the Sky.

Although you are close with the MUST statement, the law does not state that. What the law states it that any model year vehicle can only be built on one January 1st (ie. it cannot cross two calander years). There are products that are introduced after Jan 1st, that have only a 6 month (or less) model year and then get back on time with normal timing for the next year.

BTW, how do I know? I'm in the business of engine controls on GM products... and chuckle with the amount of misinformation out there on this and other products...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
michigan_sky_guy said:
Although you are close with the MUST statement, the law does not state that. What the law states it that any model year vehicle can only be built on one January 1st (ie. it cannot cross two calander years). There are products that are introduced after Jan 1st, that have only a 6 month (or less) model year and then get back on time with normal timing for the next year.

BTW, how do I know? I'm in the business of engine controls on GM products... and chuckle with the amount of misinformation out there on this and other products...
Well, I stand corrected. I only re-iterated what I was told to my recollection. It is possible that I mixed up the rules for vehicles becoming pace cars in Indy and NASCAR with vehicle model years and the laws of product model years.

BTW, when was the last less-than-six-month model year run of the previous calendar year that you recall. I can't recall any, but I suppose you have a ready example...

Meaning, as an example:

a 2001 model year "whatchamacallit" introduced AFTER January 1, 2002 (maybe March 22, 2002?), then changing to a 2002 model year "whatchamacallit" in June of 2002?

To me, this sounds stupid. I can't think of a new platform, new model introduction that ever went this way. The closest example I can think of is the 2003 Chevy SSR - but the first of these were actually produced and introduced as a "sellable product" as the Signature Series in December 2002. The line made a running change to the 2004 model year in approximately September, 2003, and it is true that the first SSR's didn't get produced in earnest until close to the middle of the calendar year.

·
Registered
304 Posts
kappaman said:
Well, I stand corrected. I only re-iterated what I was told to my recollection. It is possible that I mixed up the rules for vehicles becoming pace cars in Indy and NASCAR with vehicle model years and the laws of product model years.

BTW, when was the last less-than-six-month model year run of the previous calendar year that you recall. I can't recall any, but I suppose you have a ready example...

Meaning, as an example:

a 2001 model year "whatchamacallit" introduced AFTER January 1, 2002 (maybe March 22, 2002?), then changing to a 2002 model year "whatchamacallit" in June of 2002?

To me, this sounds stupid. I can't think of a new platform, new model introduction that ever went this way. The closest example I can think of is the 2003 Chevy SSR - but the first of these were actually produced and introduced as a "sellable product" as the Signature Series in December 2002. The line made a running change to the 2004 model year in approximately September, 2003, and it is true that the first SSR's didn't get produced in earnest until close to the middle of the calendar year.
I thought the CHryco 300C came out mid year and was labeled with half year. If not that one there have been several dating back to 4/17/1964 and the 64 1/2 Mustang, and late intro 70 1/2 Camaro/Firebird.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
kappaman said:

When did it become a law? I know of many cars that have been introduced after the first of the year that were either called 1/2 year models or just the same year as the current cars... I just wonder when this became a LAW? i thought it was manufactures discression if they called it the next year model or not... i know they can't calla car sold in 2005 a 2007 model , but i never heard that you couldn't call a car coming out in 2006 a 2006 model...

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I really don't care what year it is designated as it is still going to look good sitting in my driveway. :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts