Saturn Sky Forum banner

Why are you buying a new SKY ? (or thinking about it)

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
First Reported SKY Owner!
408 Posts
Love at first sight

I saw the brochure while I was having my 01 SC2 oil changed back in August, and the salesman told me they would have a prototype to view on 10/25/05.

I came to the party(complete with flowing chocolate fountain-yum!!) and saw her "in the steel" and knew that I had to put my money where my eyes were:lol: She just called my name and I could not resist.:willy:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Some of the NON- FUNCTIONAL design elements are what helped to sell the car... It would be nice if the hood/door vents had a function other than make the car look hot but the truth is they do make the car look hot! It's an affordable car. I can't afford the car I'd really like to drive. And I dare say that I think most of us here can't afford the cars we'd really like to drive. So a little eye candy on the car is ok with me. Perhaps we deserve it!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
SKY USA said:
Rich - Thanks for participating in the poll, and for your comments. One thing, though... if I read your signature line correctly, you should have also voted for "Mid-Life Crisis" ! :lol:
Okay here is the order!

1) It is one F'ng sexy car! :driving:
2) It is a Saturn and I love the brand!:thumbs:

My signature is more a play on the "Thats why we built the sky" motto.:)

A "Mid-Life Crisis" occurs when some spends the first part of there life in very mature and adult like manner, then feels like they missed something.

Me, I never grew up, still a kid at heart, a kid who wants his toy NOW!:banghead:

Seriously, I go to pick up my step daughter at punk shows and walk around like I am one of them. They look at me kind of strangely of course! :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Wife Won't Drive Our Solstice Because The Automatic
Was Not Offered On The F1k Models.
We Ordered Her A Sky With Auto And On-star In Green
With Tan Top And Interior.
She Will Share The Sky With Our Daughter, Also Tranny
Disfunctional, While I Share The Solstice With Her Sister
Who Loves Driving Manual Transmissions.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I want a car that I can tweak under the hood, that looks cool, that inspires envy, that doesn't cost a fortune, and something that not everyone an their mother has.

The last one is the most important, I love having a car that is different than everyone else. With the SKY being low production, and with the upcoming Redline (which I want) being even lower production and modification will make my car one of a kind. Not just on my block, or in my city, not even in my state, but probably within the entire Country or maybe even the World, I will be the only person with a car exactly like mine. If that's not cool, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As I said previously: Bought a brand new '96 Astro van, which the kids now call the ghetto mobile. Have driven nothing else since then. Will turn 50 this November, mid-life crisis, need I say more?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Post Mid Life Crisis

I'm 62 so I'm past the mid life crisis stage. Way back in '67 I had a Datsun
SPL311 Roadster. It was a blast and I have missed it for the last 30 odd years. So when I saw the new Sky, I figured it was now or never. Saw my Saturn dealer, gave him $500 and now I'm with the rest of you, just waiting for the call that my Sky is in.
Peeksdad
#4 and waiting

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I first saw the car as a 'concept' two years ago at the Chicago Autoshow and immediately knew that if it ever went into production, I had to have one. Saw it again back in February at the autoshow...'concept' became reality. My husband and I looked at each other and said "THAT will be our next car". We shopped around at other dealers since February, seeing if there was anything else out there that jumped out at us like the Sky did...almost bought an MX-5 Miata, but I'm glad we didn't. I would rather wait as long as it takes to get the car I truly want, rather than to settle for something else. I already own and ride a Harley-Davidson so I know what it's like to feel the wind in your face. But there are times when I can't/don't ride the bike...and it's those times that the Sky will still allow me to 'feel the wind' and still have fun...even though I'm in my 'cage'. :thumbs:

·
Registered
39 Posts
looks, neighbors and mid life

take your pick - they are all GREAT reasons! I'm having fun -life is too short not to!:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can no longer afford the airplane & am getting a little less capable of handling the Harley. This was the perfect solution to my needs! The wife & I are anxious to experience the road trips!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hubby facing milestone BD. Last kid graduating college in June. Jack always talked about getting a roadster, probably old MG or somesuch. I liked the roadster idea but had trouble with visions of breakdowns, rebuilds taking months/years and scarcity of parts. We talked a bit about options but didn't care enough for anything to take the plunge. Then I saw a photo of a Solstice, probably in Popular Mechanics, last summer. Suddenly I thought here's a roadster we won't break the bank on and it should run quite a while without major parts problems. I thought about it for a few weeks and then floated the idea of that for his April BD. Sold! We went to the local autoshow in Nov to look at the Solstice but saw the Sky and immediately agreed it was "our" car. Put deposit down the next day. We've got a few weeks to go but putting the time to good use cleaning out the garage.

PS - we haven't told the kids yet, keeping it a secret from all 4 of them, all twentysomethings. Decided to spring it on them once it arrives. Very challenging when they come by or call and ask "What's new" to not blurt it out. Is anyone else planning to do an unveiling, too?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Why the Sky

Besides a Mid-Life Crisis situation :thumbs: The Lease on my previous car expired, so I had to plan for a new car. The Sky "fit the bill" It is what I have wanted for a long time (Almost 40 Years) :thumbs: That's Why I am Getting a Sky

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Innovation

It seems to me that the Sky is the first truely innovative machine to be engineered since Carol Shelby created the legondary Cobra.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
A Man of my Word

In 1979, living in Detroit, I bought a brand new Triumph Spitfire and took a load of crap from Mom (GM Employee), Dad (Chrysler Employee), Uncle (Ford Employee), Neighbor (GM Employee) etc, etc, etc.

I said, "When Detroit makes a decent 2-Seat Roadster, I'll buy it!"

They did, and I got on the wait list. On 5/9/06 I kept my word.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am 50; I was looking for a sporty car and fell in love with the Solstice. That was until we went to the auto show and saw the SKY. Both my wife and I thought the SKY looked better in person. I have wanted a convertible since I sold my 63 Corvair Spyder convertible and that was back in 1990. That car was fun to drive, but started taking a bus to work and no long needed the car. Now I am driving every day and wanted a convertible to drive when the weather is nice.:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Two reasons.

First is because I needed a second car when I realized my project car is going to have teething issues when it blew a piston a couple weeks ago.

Second, the Sky is the first car since 1996 that has really gotten my blood pumping that I can actually afford.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts