Saturn Sky Forum banner

Why are you buying a new SKY ? (or thinking about it)

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmm... lets see, already own a motorcycle, used to have a MGB, done the mid life crisis er.. disaster already, but what got me to put money down, without ever kicking a tire, still havent even test drove one, was the very first ad i saw on tv nearly months ago for it. I too went "Thats a saturn?" Right then and there decided after using a motorcycle for sole transportation for nearly 6 yrs, that it was the car for me... Yup people at work thought i had lost my mind, not for looking at it, but being a true die hard cycle rider, they went "your buying a car?" looking at delivery still 3 months out, hoping to test drive one soon... a very strange feeling having decided to buy one nearly sight unseen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For me, it's because it's a Saturn. I have owned nothing but Saturns since I turned 16. When I first saw the original SKY roadster (remember the wierd looking blue thing back in 02?), I knew that eventually Saturn was going to release a convertible and now it has finally arrived. When I saw the original sketch they released, I fell instantly in love and wanted one since then.

Every time I drive our demo at the dealership (I got to take it on a nice long back-country-road drive bringing it home from display at a golf course today) I fall in love with it just a little bit more. I wouldn't be interested in a roadster right now if it wasn't for the SKY.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a jeep wrangler now, I'm tired of the rough ride, no electric windows and doors, no leather seats. I think a girl needs these items. I like being high up and the top off. soooo...the only thing I'll be missing is setting high, but I will be getting so much more with the Sky Redline...

Good trade for me

·
Registered
245 Posts
Voted on:
1) I saw one and had to look into getting one myself.
2) Bang 4 buck. not that I'm an expert, but seems to be.
3) Mid-life crisis. I'm 48. Single, with nothing going on. so, what the heck.

Additional:
4) My current vehicle ('02 Rodeo Sport) is under powered, lousy gas milage (16-20), is paid for, and has 100k mi. on it. (I'm going to keep it though)
5) I've got 30K burning a hole in my pocket. (RedLine Baby!)

Dale.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why a Sky?

Been riding motorcycles for over 50 years (currently have 2 BMW cycles) and am driving a BMW 540. Will be trading in the 540 for a BMW X5 for my wife and I was thinking about a new BMW Z4 roadster (until I found out how much it was). Saw a picture of a SKY and went to my Saturn dealer the next day for a test drive. Just seeing one in bright red (actually two, as a factory rep was there with a white SKY that had the spoiler on the deck lid) and then test driving it, did it for me. Placed an order for one in Silver Graphite, Red Premium Trim, Rear Spoiler, Limited-slip differential, and special Air Intake.
Delivery should be mid-August (according to the dealer).:angel:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered a Sky because I wanted another convertible. I tried to custom order a solstice and the dealer didn't take me seriously, so Sky it was. I had no trouble custom ordering it without leather seats *bleh* or a 6 disc changer and all the other stupid extra that I didn't want that the Solstice dealer was pushing on me. Not to mention I have penis envy or something lol. I'm compensating. :p

·
Registered
692 Posts
Reasons:
1. Outstanding looks:thumbs:
2. Performance reviews support the hype:rolleyes:
3. Kids are grown and out of the house:cheers:
4. California has lots of great coastline:)
5. Already own a convertible Mustang GT w/lots of horse power:driving:
6. California is the land of sunshine, who needs a hard top out here?:cool:
7. No reason not to get what we want at this point in my life:thumbs:
8. The forum has supported the initial choice to order one:thumbs:
9. It's about enjoying my life before I'm too old to cause havoc!:devil:
10. I can't wait to take a nice long cruise in the Sierra Mountains and along the Pacific Coast with new friends who I'll meet in the forum!!! :cheers:

I'm certain there's thousands more, these are but a few!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why a Sky?

I know this is an old topic, but it got me thinking, "Why DID I get so into this particular car?" . . .

I've loved vehicles of any kind and have a list a mile long of car, trucks & bikes "I wish I'd never sold." Most recently my 1967 GTO that I sold a few years back because the Harley got more time during our shorter riding season here in Minneapolis, so the goat seemed to either be in the shop or en route to or from downtown storage for over $350/season. It got to be a hassle, or so it seemed in a fit of lunacy when I sold it.

Every day I've regretted selling that GTO more & more until I realized I had to get another fun car so started looking at muscle again, but have you seen the prices as of late? And to be honest, I'm no wrench.

So I started looking at the new retros. The Camaro doesn't do anything for me. The Challenger has been in the "it'll come out next year" phase for years. And Ford is gouging people on the truest retro of the all, the Cobra. I won't be screwed to that degree ... $45K+ for a $40K car is pricey.

So I started zeroing in on the BMW Z4, but man, it seems everyone has them. But I bought a magzine featuring roadsters and disregarded what I thought was a European sports car on the cover (hmmm, maybe over $100 thou?) but wanted to read about the Z's. When I read the car on the cover was a SATURN I about died, and when I saw the price at $24 I couldn't believe it.

Long & short of it: no car has got my blood to boiling like the Sky for a long, long time; certainly no new car. I loved my Triumph TR4A and to have a brand new ride I can keep up and know the total history of, all for a reasonable price sold me.

I have the "nursery" ready; i.e., have the garage door rails raised and 4 post lift ordered, so I won't even have to store it away from home!

. . . now if it will only get here dang it!

Scott/Minneapolis

·
Registered
197 Posts
Was looking for a replacement car for my 1993 Toyota MR2 which had 180,000 miles on it and the A/C had just died.
Was going to get a Solstice, until I saw a Sky at the Texas State Fair auto show last October. As I pasted the Saturn booth, it was like "Wow, what's that car?"

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I was looking at BMW, Benz and Jag's and on the web stumbled onto a picture of the SKY. Love at first sight.

Since my Lexus runs great I figured I would wait to get a closer look and test drive a SKY. So began a forcused search for information since December 2005. That is about the time I started to read this forum daily. I did not join until recently, but I enjoyed the informative group and the pleasant mix of personalities all brought together because of this car.

In April I went to the large car show in Albany, New York and they had a SKY there. Sat in it and really looked it over and was diffently impressed. Went to my local Saturn dealer and put a deposit down for a Red Line.

So looks first, quality, speed, price and everything close there after. :cheers:

·
Registered
106 Posts
It was love at fist sight, i have not had a car since i bought my wife her Silver Anniversary Vette.Which she only kept 4 months after waiting 6 mon. to get it.We drive 3/4 ton 4wd suburbans and trucks and when i saw a White Sky on the road i knew i had to have one.My wife thinks i'm buying it for her,but this will not get away from me.:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have been looking for a 2 seater for about 2years and the sky just fit the bill for me.....it is a better looking car than anything else on the road.....:cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
It has styling and its not FWD !

I have not been this excited about a new car since my 87 Olds Cutlass 2 dr V8 RWD !! While we were raising the kids, my wife had several Suburbans. I had 2 dr RWD midsize sporty looking cars. The kids are out of the house, my wife has a VUE V6 AWD, I'm driving her old Burban with 211,000 miles on it. I've been half looking for a newer, sporty/performance RWD car with eye catching styling that I could afford. Untill recently there wasn't much to choose from. I like the new Mustang but I'm still a GM guy. Then I saw the Solstice and then the SKY concept cars! That was it - The SKY !! I've never had a sunroof let alone a convertable and all my cars - even my first gen Camaro - had a useable trunk. So there must be a little mid-life mixed in here. The SKY Redline will be a 3 season daily driver + weekend and fun trip car. The old Suburban stays on for it's utility and winter driving duties.

SKY Driver

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was already in the market for a new car...been looking for several years now, but nothing appealed to me enough to get rid of my paid off car. I'd always wanted a convertible, not specifically a 2 seater though, and when I moved to Chicago from Atlanta last year I gave up the idea (not practical for me, since I don't have room for two cars). I'd seen pictures of the Sky before I attended the Chicago Auto Show, but seeing it there in person, and dreaming about it for the next few months, convienced me to place an order.

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Oh look, a thread brought back from the dead

:D Never saw this thread, or if I did it blew right by me. Then again 8/18 is the day after my birthday, and 2 days after we picked up our Sky. :cheers:

Anyways, I voted in the "others" choice. I'm sorta surprised no body put down my reason for buying this great car. I (we) my wife & I needed something with a little bit more frugalness with fuel, or should I say "better fuel economy" for her to drive after they moved her office 35 miles north to Boca. She was tooling up thar & back in our H2 and that was drilling a hole in our "fuel" pocket just to go to work. So we parked the H2, used now only for special occasions (more than 2 need a ride), or we need to haul "bigger things" or backup spare vehicle hehe. The fuel costs we had to pay for the H2PAYS for the Sky mind ya AND also fuels it--premium fuel of course for what we were consuming in the H2. Not only that, we had to figure out a way to help conserve some fuel for our pockets AND this country. Believe me, we have helped--Don't mean Ima gonna get rid of the H2, that vehicle IS the best thing on the road and I love that truck! nothing like it--My Sky--well that baby comes in a very very tight second--BUT, alas, when I see both parked out front and avaliable, guess which one I take??:thumbs:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Saw one in person at a local car show. Nuff said.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm 71. I have had a yearning for a Morgan since I was a child. Wow'd for them while touring England. Went out of my way to visit a dealership in DC. But second hand Morgans cost $60,000 and are uncomfortable, etc. Most second hand Morgans only have 4000 miles on them so that tells it all. The Sky has all the fun, performance and appeal and none of the faults. Besides, at 71 it's time.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
920 Posts
I went to St Louis for my grand daughters graduation from high school. While in the St Louis area my wife, my daughter and I went on the wine tasting drive along the Missouri River. Our Grand Daughter siad she would be the designated driver. :) We had visited about three winery's and were pulling into the 4th and here sat this beautiful. yellow car that I had never seen before. The couple were just getting into it and as we gazed they pulled away. I could see the Saturn symbol and the word Sky. This was love at first sight. I retired in January and this was exactly what I wanted to have to travel around with my wife. I came back home, did my researched, joined this forum and ordered my Redline in July.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I'm getting him because I turned 30 in April and still am having a HUGE midlife crisis!!!! LOL I don't have children yet, and I am in a partier mentality again as if I was in Grad School all over again! LOL

I wanted to get some small little convert while I still was young to party with it and no children.... So my husband actually said I saw something the other day you might want to consider this was way back in the late Summer.... So he drove me out to the Saturn Dealer & they just happened to have 2 in the showroom that were slated for people but I fell in love with them RIGHT AWAY!!!!! I knew that is what I had to have!!!!! I didn't care the cost!!!!

We did go and look around at the Solstice which I don't care for, Miata too small and kiddie for me & then the CLK but the SKY has my heart 1000000%!!!!!!!!

I love the Eurpeon feel to the shape of it especially the rear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ahhh, I was blown away by the looks the first time I saw one and when I researched it, the value and technical design backed up the looks. The base model didn't have quite enough power though so I was originally going to go with a Mallett version. Then the RedLine was announced and that was just perfect... (OK, I lie, I'd like more horsepower but this is a better value in regards to the dollar / horsepower ratio.)

41 - 60 of 95 Posts