Saturn Sky Forum banner

Why are you buying a new SKY ? (or thinking about it)

Why are you buying a SKY ? (or thinking about it)

26K views 104 replies 91 participants last post by  lerthon 
#1 · (Edited)
Answers to this question are located everywhere throughout this forum, but I thought it would be interesting to bring it all together in a single poll, so here goes. Please answer honestly, and post a reply to clarify your vote if necessary. Thanks!

Please note that this Poll allows for multiple answers to be selected.

#2 ·
SKY USA said:
Answers to this question are located everywhere throughout this forum, but I thought it would be interesting to bring it all together in a single poll, so here goes. Please answer honestly, and post a reply to clarify your vote if necessary. Thanks!
I am getting it because i was going to get a convertible this spring anyway. A family member had a brochure in October and i fell in love with it.... Been trying to get any and all information on the car as i can.... CANT WAIT FOR IT TO BE HERE.... SkyBaby-07

#3 ·
There are a lot of reasons both on the survey and some not -- but the looks are what got me to ACT.

#4 ·
I am getting one because the looks are great, and the idea of owning a new designed car, and third childhood. But the real reason is that I love being "HIGH ON STRESS" my favorite T-shirt, by the way, and don't forget the fantasstic feel of aanxiety, and fits of rage, I just love it!!!:lol: :lol: :willy: :willy: :confused: :banghead: :brentil: :thumbs:

#6 ·
Vauxhall VX Lightning

AHR said:
I got to see the Vauxhall VX Lightning and soon found that Saturn was going to build a a car based on the design I new that the SKY was the car I was looking for.

R
Did you get to see the Vauxhall VX Lightning in person, or in a photo ? If it was in person, where, and how do you think it looks "in the flesh" compared to the SKY ? Thanks.

#7 ·
Up front I really have fallen in Love with the looks, but the primary reason is that due to deployment injuries I will be unable to ride a motorcycle anymore and the wife said that I can get any car I want. This is the one I want and I thank my wife for the opportunity.:)

#10 ·
richmcc said:
I voted " I saw the Photo and had to have it". but the other part of that, which I would like to see in the pole.

"Because it is a Saturn"

What's the point of having a Mid-Life Crisis if you can't have the car to go with it! That's why I'm buying a Sky
Rich - Thanks for participating in the poll, and for your comments. One thing, though... if I read your signature line correctly, you should have also voted for "Mid-Life Crisis" ! :lol:

#11 ·
My wife and I were in the market for a 2 door ragtop for a daily driver (have a '71 Vette vert that I am getting ready to restore) and we looked at several; Z4, 350Z, S2000, Boxter, etc. Then we started seeing stuff about the Sky and then saw one in person at SA car show late last year, and immediately said, YES! :D Bugged the dealer until we could order one and did so immediately.

It was probably going to be her prime car, unless the weather was too bad for me to ride the bike (which means heat precipertation or under 20F). But then a schoolbus T-boned my bike in early Feb and totaled it. Broke a couple of my ribs and squashed my leg pretty good (think how you thumb feels when you hit it with a hammer:smash: ), and my wife said I need to quit daily riding. Promised me the Sky for my daily driver if I didn't get a new bike and just rode my BMW '79 R65 on weekends. Hard to tell her no when I was having trouble walking and breathing.

So, when we get it, we'll see. If she starts 'borrowing" for the day too often I may have to tell her it is time for another bike (or another Sky!). :lol:

#12 ·
Combo of things:

-First serious entry in 2-seat <100" wheelbase <$30,000 market from a domestic supplier in 15 years.

-Appear to have done a good job in "the right things" as far as engineering. Much of the problem I have with the Sol/SKY stems either directly or indirectly from "eye candy" syndrome (non functional vents, or roof that operates oddly, mis-configured trunk, slightly-too-big wheels - all things that have no real purpose except they got there because of styling-at-the-expense-of-performance decisions). It seems, though, that they got it right where it counts.

-Driving experience. Very impressive.

#13 ·
I've taken care of everyone my whole life!

I feel I'm a good DAD, HUSBAND, SON, FRIEND and I go out of my way to make people happy! I'm in a job that deals with customer service and I constantly cater to individuals!:D BUT It's about time I do something for MYSELF!:thumbs:

The price of this car helps me to feel like I'm someone special, without blowing the kids college fund!

#14 ·
Well, I voted twice. 1) the looks, 2) the looks, 3) mid-life crisis.
Ooops, listed the looks twice, go figure. This is a gorgeous automobile. Just entering mid-life so I might as well use that one too.

#15 · (Edited)
Had a fascination with the roadster since seeing TR-6s and MGBs and Spitfires. Put that thought away as impractical for several decades. Suddenly, only 1 girl left at home and 1 at college. Rented a Mustang convertible a couple of years ago in LV, it was the first time I ever drove a convertible and it blew me away. When my 20 year old daughter told me I should get a convertible I told her, "If Saturn ever makes one I will", kind of as a joke.

About a month later I saw a poster at Saturn for the Concept "Curve", I'm still in love with THAT thing that will never exist, and have been a big follower of the SKY ever since. Since last summer on warm evenings and in the VA fall with moderate temps and colorful trees I've REALLY been getting impatient for this to come out.

Just about every item in the poll applies to me! It is the right car at the right time, I'm 53 and who's to say if I wait til I'm 65 what will the world be like then. This is the right time and car.

#17 ·
I knew I wanted to get a sporty car and was leaning towards a convertible when I saw the concept at the NAIAS last year. I had been leaning towards the Boxster but I could get two Skys for the same price making it a no brainer. Perfect timing for what I wanted.:jester:

#18 ·
Looks, Midlife crisis, bang for the buck, and other go figure:lol:

#19 ·
Ernest said:
I am getting one because the looks are great, and the idea of owning a new designed car, and third childhood. But the real reason is that I love being "HIGH ON STRESS" my favorite T-shirt, by the way, and don't forget the fantasstic feel of aanxiety, and fits of rage, I just love it!!!:lol: :lol: :willy: :willy: :confused: :banghead: :brentil: :thumbs:
Like Ernest I feel in love with the Sky as soon as my eyes saw her. My ol Triumph Spitfire doesn't like my choice but it will learn to cope with another roadster in the garage with it . Now they might commence to fighting and if that happens then I might have to intervene. But I think they will get along OK. Skip....

#20 ·
SKY USA said:
Did you get to see the Vauxhall VX Lightning in person, or in a photo ? If it was in person, where, and how do you think it looks "in the flesh" compared to the SKY ? Thanks.
I was in England a couple of years back and saw a TV show, Top Gear, and when they mentioned it was going to be built as a Saturn I new I wanted one. I wish I could have seen it in person though!

R

#21 ·
Love at first sight

I saw the brochure while I was having my 01 SC2 oil changed back in August, and the salesman told me they would have a prototype to view on 10/25/05.

I came to the party(complete with flowing chocolate fountain-yum!!) and saw her "in the steel" and knew that I had to put my money where my eyes were:lol: She just called my name and I could not resist.:willy:

#24 ·
Some of the NON- FUNCTIONAL design elements are what helped to sell the car... It would be nice if the hood/door vents had a function other than make the car look hot but the truth is they do make the car look hot! It's an affordable car. I can't afford the car I'd really like to drive. And I dare say that I think most of us here can't afford the cars we'd really like to drive. So a little eye candy on the car is ok with me. Perhaps we deserve it!

:thumbs:

#25 ·
SKY USA said:
Rich - Thanks for participating in the poll, and for your comments. One thing, though... if I read your signature line correctly, you should have also voted for "Mid-Life Crisis" ! :lol:
Okay here is the order!

1) It is one F'ng sexy car! :driving:
2) It is a Saturn and I love the brand!:thumbs:

My signature is more a play on the "Thats why we built the sky" motto.:)

A "Mid-Life Crisis" occurs when some spends the first part of there life in very mature and adult like manner, then feels like they missed something.

Me, I never grew up, still a kid at heart, a kid who wants his toy NOW!:banghead:

Seriously, I go to pick up my step daughter at punk shows and walk around like I am one of them. They look at me kind of strangely of course! :D

#26 ·
My Wife Won't Drive Our Solstice Because The Automatic
Was Not Offered On The F1k Models.
We Ordered Her A Sky With Auto And On-star In Green
With Tan Top And Interior.
She Will Share The Sky With Our Daughter, Also Tranny
Disfunctional, While I Share The Solstice With Her Sister
Who Loves Driving Manual Transmissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.