Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows why the gas tank was placed in such a position as to limit the SKY's trunk space to under 4 cubic feet (with the top up). Why couldn't the tank be placed lower as in similarly proportioned roadsters, like the arch-rival Miata ? Anyone know for certain ? :confused:

·
Registered
474 Posts
SKY USA said:
Just wondering if anyone knows why the gas tank was placed in such a position as to limit the SKY's trunk space to under 4 cubic feet (with the top up). Why couldn't the tank be placed lower as in similarly proportioned roadsters, like the arch-rival Miata ? Anyone know for certain ? :confused:
This is what, on the Solstice forum, is refered to as the Mayan Temple because that is what the gas tank resembles. The upper level is empty space but is there to support the rear glass when the top is stored in the trunk. This topic of "lack of trunk space" has been one of the hotter topics on the Solstice forum also. However, we Solstice owners have found that if you pack well you can get lots of things in the trunk! i.e. I have placed a full sized snow shovel in the trunk with no problem, gone grocery shopping and put 10 plastic bags of groceries in the trunk (bottled water had to ride up front tho).

Here are some pics of the Solstice trunk packed:
1st one is with golf clubs, next 2 are packed for a weekend trip!

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I'd love a big trunk and I have to admit I think the Kappa designers slipped up on the storage point, but, it is a roadster not a Dodge Caravan!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pictures, KappaFan. You certainly know how to pack efficiently ! I'll check out the Solstice forum to see what they say about the reason the gas tank intrudes into the trunk. Thx.

·
Registered
474 Posts
SKY USA said:
Thanks for the pictures, KappaFan. You certainly know how to pack efficiently ! I'll check out the Solstice forum to see what they say about the reason the gas tank intrudes into the trunk. Thx.
Not my pics (don't want to take credit where its not due!) but I am going to have to do a great job packing for the National Meet in KC in July - hoping some of you SKY owners will join us! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is my understanding that huge hydroformed rails take up alot of the room that we would like the trunk to occupy

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The limited length of the car makes a corvette-style gastank a very expensive and volume-limited option.

Also, the space required to stow the AFBTS' drove the extra space needed on the sides of the tank, making the tank taller.

The configuration of the MX-5 is rather conventional - there is an exposed top when down, same as S2000 and BMW Z4 (although the z4 and new mx-5 both have a sort of built-in finishing portion of the top to "help" the looks, but still not as clean as the Solstice).

The best solution for the Solstice/Sky would have been similar to the Corvette convertible: a z-folding roof without buttresses, a separate tonneau for the top, and a separate, FORWARD-hinged trunk.

This "best" solution is prolly also the most expensive, too - blowing out the low price that is one of the attractors of the Solstice/Sky.

The MX-5 configuration stacks a slightly more-complicated fuel tank on top of a z-fold roof, which does NOT have a tonneau (nor as clean a look with the top down).

Ya can't have everything. The question has always been: is the tradeoff of these things worth it?

Nice top-down styling, fancy-looking butresses with the top up, low cost

vs.

5 second operation, slightly improved trunk volume that doesn't change with the top-up or top-down.

apparently, based on sales, this seems to be an acceptable tradeoff. I doubt it would be if the car cost $30K base, though.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Trunk size

Hey, it is, after all, a roadster. Yes, the limited trunk space is a turn off for some. I do think that some are being hyper critcal though. I was watching footage on an NBC program on the Detroit International Auto Show - in reality a two hour promo for NASCAR :confused: - and it was showing the Jaguar convertible. One thing they glossed over was the trunk space when the top was folded - guess what, there wasn't any!

When I take my Sky on a weekend jaunt, I'll pack with the top up, unload, then enjoy cruising at my destination. I told my wife, when we pack for a trip in the Sky, if it doesn't fit, we really don't need it :)

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Hey,like other said, this is a roadster. If you think getting things into the Sky is hard, just try putting things on a motorcyle where storage space is measured in liters! I can get a ton more stuff in the Sky than I ever could on in my BMW R1150RT!

The Sky is a two seat sports car, not a family sedan. I have a truck for big things.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Life is all about the tradeoffs

TexSon said:
Hey,like other said, this is a roadster. If you think getting things into the Sky is hard, just try putting things on a motorcyle where storage space is measured in liters! I can get a ton more stuff in the Sky than I ever could on in my BMW R1150RT!

The Sky is a two seat sports car, not a family sedan. I have a truck for big things.
As a matter of fact, I'm into motorcycles in a big way (I own three, with my latest being a 2005 K1200S), so I understand the storage tradeoffs vs. traveling by car. The dilemma I'm facing is that although I have multiple bikes, I'd really like to own just a single car for myself (not counting my wife's and two teenage daughter's cars that I have to get insurance for and keep maintained). My current car is a very practical and capable sedan, but every now and then I toy with the idea of getting something fun to replace it with. I've considered the Corvette, S2000, and even the new Porsche Cayman, but I’ve never acted on those impulses. However, I think the SKY has them all beat in terms of looks, and since I like to shift gears and carve corners, 177 HP in the SKY would be as much fun (to me) as 505 HP in a Z06. Plus, the price is a true bargain, and I've looked at motorcycles that cost more (i.e., the MV Agusta Ago that I came close to buying). So, I put my deposit down on a SKY last year and I'm first in line at my Saturn dealer, but the left side of my brain is now kicking in and forcing me to look at the practicality of swapping my big sedan for a SKY. If this car were to be just my fun weekend car, then no problem, but that's what my motorcycles are for. I NEED some trunk space if this is truly going to be my daily ride. The Corvette, S2000 and Cayman all have usable trunk space and although these all might be considered to be "impractical" cars, I think I could use any one of them as a daily driver.

Bottom line: I'm still on the SKY waiting list, I'm 90% sure I'm going to get it, but I've got to get over this trunk issue. Here are some comparison numbers that the left side of my brain has forced me to research:

Trunk Capacity:

SKY (top up): 3.8 Cubic Feet
SKY (top stowed in trunk): 1.4
Miata/MX-5: (top up or down): 5.3
Corvette (Coupe): 22.4
Corvette (Convertible): 10.4
Honda S2000: 5.0
Porsche Cayman S: 4.9 front + 9.2 rear
BMW 740i: 13.0

P.S. - Yes, I realize that to some extent I'm comparing apples and oranges with wildly different price points, but the bottom line is I need some trunk space to go along with my right-brain desire to buy something fun to drive !

P.P.S. – Even with the trunk space advantage the Miata / MX-5 has over the SKY, I'm not interested in owning one, since it just doesn’t look anywhere near as good as the SKY. Besides, to me the Miata has always looked too “feminine” (even the latest MX-5 iteration), whereas I like the “masculine” look of the SKY.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I can travel light.:cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Greg

That's why you have an extra seat in the front to put whatever you need on the floorboard and the seat. If it was me anybody else has to hang on to the onstar antenna, or ride along side on a skateboard. Skip...:cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Skip said:
That's why you have an extra seat in the front to put whatever you need on the floorboard and the seat. If it was me anybody else has to hang on to the onstar antenna, or ride along side on a skateboard. Skip...:cool:
LOL :lol:

·
Registered
326 Posts
My BMW Motorcycle will hold more.

TexSon said:

Hi TexSon,
Sorry, but I currently own the BMW R1100RT sport touring motorcycle with the large cases including the top case....with the Sky top down my bike will hold more! HA!! And that's not even including what I can pack on the passenger seat. My husband rides the Triumph Tiger and it doesn't hold as much so I carry some of his stuff. Yep, the SKY will be our 3rd 4 wheel vehicle (we have 5 motorcycles also) and if I have to pick up stuff I will be driving my Xterra that day.
:)

·
Registered
167 Posts
So no one has tried a custom fabricated tank built in low.

attached is a pic of a track Solstice taken from the solstice forum thread....
From the looks of it, i doubt this tank was as big? gallons wise but it doesnt need to be for a track car.....anywho.....

Wondering if anyone has done anything like this but extended down....below the trunk space into the empty space where the muffler is at......

use of a alternate straight muffler would free up more room down there too....
collapsible/fold able foam product can be used to replace the "Mayan temple" and give the added support to the top when stowed....

-J

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of what the internals (fuel pump, scavage line, etc) of the factory gas tank look like and how they work?

I once helped add a second fuel pump to a drift car....the factory fuel pump would suck fuel from a canister of fuel that was inside the gas tank.......when drifting at high speed the fuel (when low) would slosh to one side and the car would starve for fuel since no fuel was in the canister on the opposite side of the tank.....

The second added fuel pump (remote switch to turn on) would be on while drifting only and would scavage fuel from the opposite side and shower the factory fuel pump (keeping it cool) and fill the factory pump scavage canister....

Car wouldn't loose fuel anymore when doing high speed drifts and loose power/drift...

may need to do that with a lower mounted fuel tank if the internals (pump) of the sky cant get fuel any lower...etc..
- J

·
Registered
750 Posts
I know this is an old thread that has came to life, but this interested me:

"The upper level is empty space but is there to support the rear glass when the top is stored in the trunk."

So the upper level of the Mayan temple is empty?

Has anyone thought/tried to utilize this space?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ceeker: I'm sure you could, if there is empty space there then open it up and line it, upholster it and make it usable.

But i was talking more of lowering the tank with a custom fab'd tank..or a modified summit racing tank, etc...

Then use a fold able Foam product to recreate the Mayan temple when the space is not being used for storage. by foam product i mean - shaped foam, higher density, closed cell PE...tons of companies out there that can make any shape you want...

-J

1 - 19 of 19 Posts