Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I got my Sky I had loved them for 10 years and accidently found one, an 08 with 44,000 miles. That was 2 years ago. I got, what I thought was a good deal and it would have been if everything was as good as it looked. I knew zero about these cars. Turns out this one had several electronic issues, body fitment in places needed adjusting, tires and breaks and of course the solid gold, diamond incrusted freeking water pump. I ended up spending way more than I had planned to get this darn thing back to cool and dependable. There's a word for this process. ODTAA One Darn Thing After Another. Just recently and a couple times before when there was a fix I thought, "Screw this. I have had E-nuff!!" And I went car shopping drove this and that and nothin seemed to fill the nitch. I live alone and have no need for a truck or a 4 door anything. I drove Tiburons forever and love them so I looked for one. My point is after driving other sporty cars and coupe's and tryin as hard as I could to find another car to replace the Sky, which should have been doable, when I got back in my Sky I felt like I was home. I know that sounds corny and like the ending of "Ol Yeller" but it's the truth. Just somethin about the look, the lines, how it feels, the way it drives, how it fits me. For my pay grade and my needs and wants, and pure pleasure and the joy of driving, the Sky is it. Period. If that makes me crazy then I am.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You are so right. I love my little car, bought it new, its a 2007 2.4L. It still catches the eyes of people and some still ask, what is it? I have never had any issues with my car, but I only have about 21500 miles on it. I enjoy cruising and taking it to car shows. I did drive it once from NJ to FL and back and once was plenty. I would have to say that most people on this site enjoy there cars.

"The Sky's The Limit"

:patriot:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ps i also like the Tiburons, though I have never owned one ( yet! )
IMHO They are wonderful, well designed and well made cars. I still have mine an 06 with 160,000. Will never get rid of it till I have to drag it away. Its now my spare but still love the Tibby.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
I've had mine for nearly 9 years. Bought it in 2010 with 28,000 miles on it. I've had the normal problems that got me frustrated at times (especially the dang expensive water pump). If it wasn't so unique, I would have sold it, but I haven't had any problems in a few years now, so I have permagrin once again. :grin:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I bought mine new on 08 it's a redline so far now problems at all not a lot of miles only just reached 24k but reading the form since 2011 when I joined I don't agree that repairs are that expensive.I have volvos that shocks cost $800.00 each and a drive shaft is 1000, drive axles 4-5 hundred each so no I don't think the sky is expensive to repair, that being said the unfortunate part is if you'er involved in an accident repairs are usually too expensive to repair and the car is totaled and this is why I have a agreed price with my insurance company just in case something should happen to my sky.:cheers:

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have my car 13 years and believe me, I know this NA car very well.
I get what Mike is saying. The car is beautiful but the actual fit and finish and materials leaves a lot to be desired. One trick I learned here is to always outline any hinges or mounting spots if you need to remove a panel. When I first got the car I had to remove the trunk lid for a project. I didn't mark the mounting and spent three hours trying to line it back up. I see many pictures of our cars online and most of them that I see have poorly gaped panels. My old BMW Z3 had near perfect fit and finish but I was scared to death to have a breakdown. The day I drove the Z3 off the lot, the service manager told me "do yourself a favor and never bring this car back for service when the warranty runs out". The dealer was charging $300 for an oil change so he recommended I take it to the local Firestone to have regular maintenance done.
So there is a real trade off when buying a high priced, higher end imported sports car. Super high repair costs!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
So there is a real trade off when buying a high priced, higher end imported sports car. Super high repair costs!
Well I imported my Sky to Germany, so I know the feeling. The difference is that it isn't expensive to have it worked on, because nobody except the Opel dealer is willing touch it, and I don't trust them, anyway!

:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts