Saturn Sky Forum banner

why I switched from base to RL

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Mallard 
#1 ·
I'm new at posting, but have been viewing your posts for a few weeks.

With what I have read on these forums and after much discussion with family and friends, I decided to switch from the waiting list for the base Sky to the Sky RL. My decision is based on a meriad of reasons that may help others with their own decision. The importance of the reasons is listed in order.

1) I don't want to regret my choices later.
The Sky will be a toy for me that I plan to own for my life or its, which ever comes first. (Hopefully not ending at the same time due to my driving.) I currently own a '94 SL2 and wish I would have waited for the '95s. At the time I got the '94 SL2, I was planning to get a new car a few years down the road, but have since decided to keep it until the end. So I have previously rushed into a vehicle to have it now, but if I wait I can get more HP, etc. The options on the base Sky are fine, but I think I would prefer a few more hamsters under the hood (especially on steroids). As well as the dual exhaust, etc.

2) I may have to play the waiting game anyways.
I was #11 at my dealership and 36 in all of Indy for the base Sky. According to my dealer, if I chose a manual transmission I could order in the next batch (maybe next month), but an automatic transmission would cause my order to be end of summer. Also, my desire for the chrome wheels could still push me back a bit. Since I have moved waiting lists, I am now #1 at my dealership and 2 in all of Indy for the RL. So I should be in the first batch of orders.

3) The stage of my life permits some flexibility.
I am young with no family so I can "afford" the lack of family space in the vehicle. This kind of vehicle seems "practical" only for people without dependent children. Practical is a relative term, as I have had many discussions with my parents about this. (They want me to purchase a Vue, instead.) The only truely practical vehicle is an economy vehicle that seats 5+ people with high MPG (mostly describes my current '94 SL2). As for sports cars, the Sky will get decent MPG and is reasonably priced.

4) The bugs should be worked out.
By the time the RL is released, many of the bugs from the base Sky should by fixed, and in turn should assist with debugging the RL.

5) Will the Sky become a collectors' item?
Maybe, but probably not. If it does, I should get a fully loaded and upgraded version.

I hope this is helpful to at least one other person. If not, just ignore it.

See less See more
#2 ·
For me, timing dictates the need to get one ASAP. However, if not I might have waited. But, probably not.

By the way, my dealer isn't creating a seperate list. When the redline is available, whoever is currently on a Sky list can get a redline. If they come to a name that wants only redline, they will skip that person until they get a chance to order another Sky. They are treating it like an option instead of a different vehicle.

#3 ·
Do you honestly think there will be no Red Line problems?
Sure the SKY will be right -- but putting together the RL opens up a whole new line of problems never faced before.
If anyone thinks they are going to buy ANY FIRST RUN CAR/MODEL without problems -- they need counseling...
I am sure things will work out fine -- but be open to the facts

#5 ·
I think you will be perfectly happy with the Sky, but be prepared for a long wait if you are not near the top of the list at your dealer. They will be made in fairly small quantities, so there won't be too many to go around to satisfy the initial demand. Hopefully, most of the bugs will be worked out, but there is still a chance of some with what will be a first year powertrain setup (the new SIDI turbo engine).

#6 ·
THis is going to be a very special purchase for me, my very first real toy to play with!!! :cheers: That's why I decided on the RedLine. :thumbs: I used to Auto-X alot when I had my 1990 CRX Si with the many, many mods I had done and since I sold her a few years back I have not had anything I could have real fun with. The SKY RedLine will be perfect for me and since I sell them I could get any "kinks" worked out while I'm at work :thumbs: . It will be my primary commuting car so I will get to enjoy it on a day to day basisAs you can see in my signature, I'm #2 at the store I work at. :thumbs:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

#7 · (Edited)
Rick,

I'm well aware that there will be new bugs with the RL vs. the base. All I was saying is that the base will help shake down some kinks. Please, calm down. Your post seemed aggresive to me. In most of your posts you seem level-headed, so I will assume you're in a bad mood for now.

Fformula88,

Looking at the whole country, I'm probably down the list. However, for the Indy area, I'm at the top. So I'm hoping that Saturn doles-out the production spots based on area. For example, LA & NY are given 50 ea. and Indy 5 spots.

#8 ·
SKY Spy said:
THis is going to be a very special purchase for me, my very first real toy to play with!!! :cheers: That's why I decided on the RedLine. :thumbs: I used to Auto-X alot when I had my 1990 CRX Si with the many, many mods I had done and since I sold her a few years back I have not had anything I could have real fun with. The SKY RedLine will be perfect for me and since I sell them I could get any "kinks" worked out while I'm at work :thumbs: . It will be my primary commuting car so I will get to enjoy it on a day to day basisAs you can see in my signature, I'm #2 at the store I work at. :thumbs:

Regards,

Did you do SCCA SOLO II? If so prepare to join the ranks of A-Stock in your RL. :thumbs:

#9 · (Edited)
brentil said:
Did you do SCCA SOLO II? If so prepare to join the ranks of A-Stock in your RL. :thumbs:
Yep, sure did. I ran CSP at the time!!! Later I was classified as SM2.

What fun times...

Here is a link to a pretty crappy video that was taken as I did a run on my CRX: Auto-X Video, Small, One Run BTW, turn your bass down that way you can hear the CRX scream... :cool:

Regards,

#12 ·
brentil said:
Yup, SRL and SOlstice GXP will more then likely be A-Stock.

No, Solstice and Sky base models are C-Stock, IRL and Cobalt SS are D-Stock.
I knew it was something low, D then, dannnnggg... I'm really hoping the SRL is underrated for that jump in stock, otherwise that's going to be a little sad. only getting what like 30 more hp stock, and jumping up 4 rungs, danng

#13 ·
Freakazoid said:
I knew it was something low, D then, dannnnggg... I'm really hoping the SRL is underrated for that jump in stock, otherwise that's going to be a little sad. only getting what like 30 more hp stock, and jumping up 4 rungs, danng
The SRL will be 260HP & 260 ft-lbs which is 83HP and 94 ft-lbs higher then the base 177HP & 166 ft-lbs base Sky which is already C-Stock. It'll be 55HP and 60 ft-lbs over the IRL (yes I know some of them dyno higher, but we don't know what the LNF really dynos at yet).

Over the base Sky and IRL it'll have better Summer only tires, brake cooling ducts, superior sport suspension, and Sport mode StabiliTrack. It's also RWD instea of FWD, it will have wider tires, and a wider wheel base over the IRL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.