Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been addressed previously. But, can someone tell me what the history of the Solstice and Sky is and why the Sky is getting such a limited production run at least in the first year (when my dealer called to take my Sky order he said he was glad to finally be able to fill the order and was hoping the Sky would generate traffic but at two units per month he wasn't going to blow the lid off his number with that kind of volume and was actually looking forward to some of the new models yet to come). So, which came first, the Solstice or the Sky, how did they become pseudo-twins, and why did the Solstice get a much larger production run over the Sky (if I'm wrong on that point feel free to correct me there too).

Thanks,
Brad

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
bmcneely0 said:
I apologize if this has been addressed previously. But, can someone tell me what the history of the Solstice and Sky is and why the Sky is getting such a limited production run at least in the first year (when my dealer called to take my Sky order he said he was glad to finally be able to fill the order and was hoping the Sky would generate traffic but at two units per month he wasn't going to blow the lid off his number with that kind of volume and was actually looking forward to some of the new models yet to come). So, which came first, the Solstice or the Sky, how did they become pseudo-twins, and why did the Solstice get a much larger production run over the Sky (if I'm wrong on that point feel free to correct me there too).

Brad, personally, i think the HYPE of our BABIES.. has been so great that they are relishing in it..... and i also think that once the initial Sky's start rolling in driveways.. the gates will open wide.... maybe not a gusher ,,,but definitly not a trickle.... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Brad, personally, i think the HYPE of our BABIES.. has been so great that they are relishing in it..... and i also think that once the initial Sky's start rolling in driveways.. the gates will open wide.... maybe not a gusher ,,,but definitly not a trickle.... SkyBaby-07
Couldnt have put it better myself dear :D :agree:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Probably right.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
WOW... I GOT SOMETHING RIGHT.... OH MY... write this day down.... IN STONE.... omg.. i have to print this for the family.... I AM ..... RIGHT... wow..... ty ty.... just my feelings........"tear" joy........ SkyBaby-07

maybe too much meds again.... nappy time......

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
bmcneely0 said:
So, which came first, the Solstice or the Sky, how did they become pseudo-twins, and why did the Solstice get a much larger production run over the Sky (if I'm wrong on that point feel free to correct me there too).

Thanks,
Brad
It is a toss up on who came 1st. Saturn brought out a SKY prototype 1st and then soon after Pontiac released a prototype of the Solstice. However, while the Solstice did not change it's chassis or look at all... Saturn temporarily had a Kappa car prototype called the curve, but brought back the SKY name on a whole new body on the Kappa platform.

So the SKY name was 1st... the Solstice in the final version was 1st.

Why Pontiac has more vehicles being made...
A: They have more dealers
B: They have a history in this kind of car
C: It is the base version of the car, the Saturn is outfitted with more.
D: Saturn is changing it's image... and the SKY is the 1st step

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
It is a toss up on who came 1st. Saturn brought out a SKY prototype 1st and then soon after Pontiac released a prototype of the Solstice. However, while the Solstice did not change it's chassis or look at all... Saturn temporarily had a Kappa car prototype called the curve, but brought back the SKY name on a whole new body on the Kappa platform.

So the SKY name was 1st... the Solstice in the final version was 1st.

Why Pontiac has more vehicles being made...
A: They have more dealers
B: They have a history in this kind of car
C: It is the base version of the car, the Saturn is outfitted with more.
D: Saturn is changing it's image... and the SKY is the 1st step
You have it partially right,
Check out these links
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020107na-3.htm
http://www.autointell.com/nao_companies/general_motors/saturn/saturn-sky-concept/saturn-sky-concept-02.htm
http://www.autointell.com/Events/naias-2004/naias-2004-daily/saturn-curve-04/naias-2004-highlights-saturn-curve.htm
http://www.motortrend.com/future/concepts/112_0403_solstice_nomad_curve/

The Origonal Solstice show car was a cobbled up chassis from different production cars, the production Solstice has a entirly new platform (Kappa) from which the Curve and now the Sky were derived, The origonal Sky was a flop and that is why it never got close to production...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
This is what I know:

There once was this car called the Vauxhall.... it was a British car that was mid-engine. When they went to make a front engine version, they got caught up in all of this red tape. At that point, they decided to sell the rights to produce the car to GM. That's when the Solstice and SKY were born, however, the Solstice (a 2006, more rounded version, and less expensive) came out first. The SKY (a 2007 version, more sleak and more expensive) comes out this Spring.

This information came from a show I watched called Top Gear.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Sounds about right!:cool:

I'll take Hot little sports cars for $500 Alex!:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
rick112 said:
Sounds about right!:cool:

I'll take Hot little sports cars for $500 Alex!:lol:
WHAT IS THE "SKY"????? SkyBaby-07

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
SkyBaby said:
WHAT IS THE "SKY"????? SkyBaby-07
The Sky is that part of life that is above you. Like look up in the Sky. Duh. I guess it is really atmosphere. It is airie. but has weight. It moves fast but when looked at slows down. I guess this is Sky or sky. Someone pour me another diet Pepsi please. Skip.....:) :) :) :)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
SkyBaby said:
WOW... I GOT SOMETHING RIGHT.... OH MY... write this day down.... IN STONE.... omg.. i have to print this for the family.... I AM ..... RIGHT... wow..... ty ty.... just my feelings........"tear" joy........ SkyBaby-07

maybe too much meds again.... nappy time......
And tonite the walls of Jerhico came tumblin down. The Mississippi River flowed backwards. The gates of hell split from the ice that built up. SkyBaby got something right. Thats worth 3 thumbs. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Skip....

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
Angelqute1 said:
This is what I know:

There once was this car called the Vauxhall.... it was a British car that was mid-engine. When they went to make a front engine version, they got caught up in all of this red tape. At that point, they decided to sell the rights to produce the car to GM. That's when the Solstice and SKY were born, however, the Solstice (a 2006, more rounded version, and less expensive) came out first. The SKY (a 2007 version, more sleak and more expensive) comes out this Spring.

This information came from a show I watched called Top Gear.
Vauxhall has been part of GM since 1925... they didn't sell the rights of the rear-engine car. The rear-engine car is the Opel Speedster/Vauxhall Lightning... different cars altogether, but do look a bit like the SKY/OPEL GT.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
Skip said:
And tonite the walls of Jerhico came tumblin down. The Mississippi River flowed backwards. The gates of hell split from the ice that built up. SkyBaby got something right. Thats worth 3 thumbs. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: Skip....
You are way to sweet to me... ty.... WOW..:cool: . 3 how cool..:thumbs: . SkyBaby-07

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
Vauxhall has been part of GM since 1925... they didn't sell the rights of the rear-engine car. The rear-engine car is the Opel Speedster/Vauxhall Lightning... different cars altogether, but do look a bit like the SKY/OPEL GT.
Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 are cars based off the Lotus Elise and are mid-engine rear wheel.

The Vauxhall Lightning was a Kappa based show car that never made it to production, but it's design is the mother of the Sky's exterior.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,569 Posts
brentil said:
Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 are cars based off the Lotus Elise and are mid-engine rear wheel.

The Vauxhall Lightning was a Kappa based show car that never made it to production, but it's design is the mother of the Sky's exterior.
Ooops... correct... I am always getting the Lightning and the VX220 confused in name... damn those Vauxhaulls!!! :rolleyes: :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to due with GM being unsure if a Saturn Roadster will actually sell or not. I know everyone loves their Saturns but it's not a sporty brand or a brand most people consider. As mentioned there are nearly 6 times as many Pontiac dealerships as well compared to Saturn dealerships.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
I'm pretty sure a lot of it has to due with GM being unsure if a Saturn Roadster will actually sell or not. I know everyone loves their Saturns but it's not a sporty brand or a brand most people consider. As mentioned there are nearly 6 times as many Pontiac dealerships as well compared to Saturn dealerships.
For one thing, the Opel wil be an rebaged Sky, and if you add the proposed production figures for both the Sky and Opel, you will be much closer to the Solstice production figure. And as has been published facts the main reason for limited production in the first place is the time it takes for hydroforming the various panels. and since they do not farm out that work the number of each brand is limited by the number of body panels and frames that can be built.
I believe that is the main reason for the difference in production of the Sky and Solstice, the Sky shares it's body panels.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
The production is low for the same reason it is low on the Corvette. If you make a car that everyone wants, price it reasonably and have more orders than cars, you have a very successul car. If, on the other hand, you overproduce the car, and have them setting on the lot, waiting for buyers, even if they are a great car, and sales are high, cars setting on a lot that have to be marked down make it a flop. And Saturn wants the Sky to enhance their image, not be their only car. Keep the numbers low, interest high, and quality up and you might generate sales in your other vehicles.

Add to that, according to one of articles I read, it is all but a hand built car, and you can only make so many.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts