Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BAD ENUFF GM MAKES THE SAME CAR AND REBADGES IT ALL THE TIME. JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING SOMETHING UNIQUE BAMM THEY ARE PUTTING OUT THE SKY CAR AS A DAEWOO. UNBELIEVABLE CHECKOUT THIS ARTICLE.

http://www.autoblog.com/category/saturn/

I SWEAR I DIDNT EVEN MIND THE SOLSTICE BECAUSE IT LOOKED VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE SKY BUT NOW I HAVE TO SHARE THE GLORY WITH DAEWOO OWNERS. CANT GM DO ANYTHING RIGHT?

FYI I STILL LUV THE CAR BUT ITS NOT AS UNIQUE AS I THOUGHT

·
Registered
63 Posts
While you don't have to shout to be heard....I agree that this is a dumb move.
All this time I have whined and complained about GM making multiple versions of the same thing to be sold in the same market and now they want to add yet another one!!!
The Sky and Solstice may be the same under the skin but they share so little in looks that the logic can work here in the states. But to add another family member that looks exactly alike? Dumb.
I thought that Daewoo was dead here in the states anyway?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol I Wasnt Shouting Just Have The Cap Locks On. I Was Just Surprised From A Business Stand Point. Im A Little Business Savvy So When I See Something Like That I Just Say Cmon Guys U Have Something Unique And Appealing To The Eye. They Could Sell Alot Of These Vehicles If They Do The Right Marketing But Rebadging I Think Is A Bad Idea. It Gives Credit For The Vehicle To Another Company. They Should Only Allow It To Be Associated With Gm. It Could Really Boost Up The Saturn Name Which Is Supposed To Be Their Quality Division.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, I am willing to bet that order to delivery will be wayyyyy longer than you are looking at with a Saturn. And given the popularity of the Sky right now, not sure you will find enought people to buy Daewooooo over the Saturn.

JMHO..

S

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Please remember this car will never be sold in the states, it basically will never be apparent to the US that the Sky exists in another continent under a different marque.

As for saying the car won't be as unique now... think of this, if some of the Skys are getting shipped overseas to become G2X Daewoos then that means less will be left for US consumers so the car may actually be more difficult and rare to come by

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
If I had a car this much in demand, I'd sell it everywhere I could...using whatever brand I needed in that area.

·
Super Moderator
11,620 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Please remember this car will never be sold in the states, it basically will never be apparent to the US that the Sky exists in another continent under a different marque.

As for saying the car won't be as unique now... think of this, if some of the Skys are getting shipped overseas to become G2X Daewoos then that means less will be left for US consumers so the car may actually be more difficult and rare to come by
Exactly. The Sky is the only Kappa platform in the states that will look like it does. The Solstice is also sold here but with a completely different look. The Opel (Europe) and Daewoo (Asia) are the Kappa platforms for their markets...that's all.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Robotech said:
Exactly. The Sky is the only Kappa platform in the states that will look like it does. The Solstice is also sold here but with a completely different look. The Opel (Europe) and Daewoo (Asia) are the Kappa platforms for their markets...that's all.
I think it speaks to the cars universal appeal! :thumbs:

Besides once you reach perfection, why would you change it.
:D

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
It's being badged differently in different areas. Areas I'd like to point out where Saturn doesn't exist since it's only sold in the USA. It's an Opel in Europe since Opel is GM's Euro brand, and Daewoo in S. Korea since Daewoo is GM's Korean brand. I don't think there's any real reason to freak out because GM's just expanding their market penetration and exposure for this car.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
I wonder why no Solstice rebadging...

Are the lines of the Solstice "Too American"?

Why are only the SKYs being sold overseas? And the mention of the Howard being sold in Austrailia is interesting - I haven't heard that one yet...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Opel

Hey let Opel sell the the Sky Redline if it were not for Vauxhalls design the Sky would not exist as we know it today and it will only be sold in Germany to start. This relationship between OPEL/Vauxhall and Saturn is the begining of something great.

DAEWOO SMAEWOO. We will never see that car here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Actually GM is doing most things right lately, not that they have much choice. The Daewoo you refer to, much like it's OPEL GT cousin is almost exactly a sky clone. Fear not young skyster, unless you are a globe trotter often finding yourself in the mysterious orient, you will never see a SKY in DAEWOO clothing, nor will you ever run into an OPEL GT on main street AMERICA, you will have to cruise the byways of EUROPE fo that.

The General, having gained smarts of late has designated these two roadsters be reserved for their own marketing areas, none of which cross over SATURN'S marketing areas.

So please don't be so quick in knocking the General until you know all the details.

·
Registered
141 Posts
GM will use the Kappa platform HEAVILY.

I look for an expansion of Production BIG time. Not saying Sky Production will go up a whole lot the next couple of years.

But watch for the Sky and Solstice to welcome several brothers and sisters.

GM sees large cars and large SUV's gathering dust on lots for months and then discounted heavily to move out.

They see 30,000 Skys and Solstices pretty much sell out overnight at full price.

GM ain't dumb. They can count.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Not Here

migg750 said:
BAD ENUFF GM MAKES THE SAME CAR AND REBADGES IT ALL THE TIME. JUST WHEN I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING SOMETHING UNIQUE BAMM THEY ARE PUTTING OUT THE SKY CAR AS A DAEWOO. UNBELIEVABLE CHECKOUT THIS ARTICLE.

I SWEAR I DIDNT EVEN MIND THE SOLSTICE BECAUSE IT LOOKED VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE SKY BUT NOW I HAVE TO SHARE THE GLORY WITH DAEWOO OWNERS. CANT GM DO ANYTHING RIGHT?

Don't worry the Daewoo is just being sold in Korea.
So, Be Happy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
migg750 said:

:willy:
Sorry young skyster but I must add to your contempt for the General,,,,,, before this year is out, there will be yet another SKY TWIN. tHIS FROM THE LAND DOWN UNDER. yES IT'S TRUE, THERE WILL BE A HOLDEN TOO.:lol:

·
Registered
342 Posts
greenhornet said:
:willy:
Sorry young skyster but I must add to your contempt for the General,,,,,, before this year is out, there will be yet another SKY TWIN. tHIS FROM THE LAND DOWN UNDER. yES IT'S TRUE, THERE WILL BE A HOLDEN TOO.:lol:
Before the year is out they'll build a right-hand drive Sky and cut further into the orders they can't fill here in the U.S. already?

I'll believe that when I see it!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
RHD Kappa ?

Axel said:
Before the year is out they'll build a right-hand drive Sky and cut further into the orders they can't fill here in the U.S. already?

I'll believe that when I see it!!
:agree:
Makes no sense at this time, they can't fulfill the demand of LHD Kappas with the Wilmington plant only.

GM could plan an additional production for the RHD's maybe at Holden Works if they think there would be enough long term demand in left-side-driving countries.
Little late starting to get ready before this year is out :lol:

For technical accounting purposes the Kappa platform was disigned as a LHD only, should be a lot of extra engineering to do before startup production :smash:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Like We Didn't Know

migg750 said:

Man MIGG...whats your prob bra?

You're talking to us like we didn't know this already!

THIS IS OLD NEWS!

GM can do whatever the hell they want!

They have a great design let them exploit it!

Remember this design started over seas...We are lucky we got it here in the frist place...anyway...only a year ago people would have been saying...

"THEY ARE BADGING THIS SKY ROADSTER THING AS A SATURN IN THE US?" WHAT ARE THEY KIDDING?

Come on Dude! Like you ever expected them to ever badge this sort of designed roadster as a Saturn in the first place....

Dude...chill man...Chill!
:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts