Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here an inquiry..

Why do you believe the new turbo charged version of the Sky is only a 2.0 litre, when the base is a 2.4? I mean, why not stick with the 2.4 and hop it up from there?

Just curious if anyone has any theories? :confused:

·
Registered
342 Posts
TorqueIT,
Some of the answer lies in part of a mag review of this engine:

A lot of development work went into this new version of the Ecotec; it wasn't simply a matter of plunking a turbo on the engine. Indeed, every major casting was redesigned to provide a heightened level of reliability, though the engine was originally designed for use in forced-induction applications.

As with the new supercharged Northstar engine in the new Cadillac XLR, the displacement of the Solstice GXP's is slightly smaller than the normally aspirated version. Both feature a reduced bore size to increase cylinder-wall thickness. The Ecotec Turbo's stroke is also reduced and features a beefy, forged-steel crankshaft for additional durability. Bore and stroke are 86x86 mm (3.38x3.38 inches) for a total displacement of 1,998 cc's or 122 ci.

The Ecotec 2.0-liter Turbo uses a stronger "Gen II" Ecotec engine block, which was developed with input from racing experience to support increased horsepower and torque. Cylinder-block bulkheads -- the areas where the main bearing caps are attached -- and the cylinder walls are enlarged for strength. Other areas of the engine were enhanced to reinforce the structure, and the water jacket is deeper for added cooling capacity and improved cylinder-bore roundness. This architecture is shared with the 2.4-liter Ecotec engine that debuted in the Pontiac Solstice roadster.

Its bottom end is also upgraded to handle the additional boost. In addition to the forged-steel crankshaft, the Ecotec Turbo also employs forged connecting rods and cast pistons. The pistons feature a dish shape that deflects injected fuel toward the spark plugs. They are cooled with a jet-spray of oil on their undersides that directs the oil into a cast-in channel inside the piston, further resisting detonation.

Additionally, the Ecotec 2.0-liter Turbo four benefits from variable valve timing and an intercooled, twin-scroll turbocharger system to provide boost. A dual-scroll design is used on the exhaust turbine and speeds up velocity and response, much in the same way a two-plane intake manifold performs the identical function. The result is a nearly lag-free system, one that gives the 2.0-liter four the feel of a much larger engine. Dual cam phasing complements the turbocharging by optimizing valve timing at lower rpm for best turbo response and quick engine build-up time. "There is virtually no lag with this system," says Ed Groff, assistant chief engineer, Ecotec 2.0-liter Turbo engine. "Throttle response is immediate. The engine acts like it has a larger displacement engine."

Its turbocharger provides up to approximately 20 pounds of boost. It is matched to the engine's displacement and performance objectives, and is supported by the air-to-air intercooling system, which reduces inlet temperature pf the turbo-compressed air by approximately 212 degrees (100 degrees C), enhancing performance because cooler air is denser.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Axel said:
TorqueIT,
Some of the answer lies in part of a mag review of this engine:
Well then, that explains it..

Although the original Ecotec has been able to withstand 750hp with aftermarket mods, so I still wonder why they didn't just keep the extra displacment and modify it from there.

Ah well.

Wonder what it would take to push this new engine into the 300 range? :thumbs:

·
Registered
325 Posts
TorqueIT said:
Well then, that explains it..

Although the original Ecotec has been able to withstand 750hp with aftermarket mods, so I still wonder why they didn't just keep the extra displacment and modify it from there.

Ah well.

Wonder what it would take to push this new engine into the 300 range? :thumbs:
Use what ya got!

2.0 turbo gets better mileage then the 2.4L but it almost has 90 more horsepower-sounds good to me.

There's a lot of cool stuff to learn about this new motor, this will be the most powerful motor GM has ever mass produced when it comes to horsepower vs displacement!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Tuners on the GM 2.0L engine are testing upgrades now. I have hear reports out of GM Performance division that over 330 hp was made running premium fuel. Maybe this will pass down through the GM performance accessories as stage upgrades.

·
Registered
325 Posts
GM will be putting this motor in the Sky/Solstice, SS HHR, SS Cobalt, New Pontiac Cobalt (G5?).

With that many vehicles GM could make some good money wih Stage 1,2,3 upgrades just like what Mopar does for the SRT4, PT Cruiser.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess with a more aggressive cam and better headers, pushing 300 shouldn't be too far off.

Shoot.. a 50 shot of the goose juice would do the trick, I just want it all the time!

If they can find a stage upgrade that would improve cam, headers, exhaust, more powerful turbos.. even 400 might not be out of reach for the average to uppercrust enthusiast.

Then you'd have your own LS2 Sky with the light weight of a 4 cylinder! Whoop!

Anyone know if a manufacturer has come out with a hard top option for the SkY? I know they did for the Solstice, just didn't think that would fit on the Sky.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would think the cams wouldn't even need to be upgraded to reach the 330bhp mark... With my experience with tuning, I think that a better flowing intake, straight-through exhaust, and ecu tuning could provide an extra 40-60bhp. If you look at the advancements others tuners have made using Direct Injection (mazdaspeed6, new gti, and new rs4), you can see that this engine should be no different.

It all depends on the turbo's efficiency. Since there are reports that it is already pushing 20psi through the engine, I would think that would be one of the first parts to replace in the search for significantly high gains in hp.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There's no reason to change the cams with the computer controlling the variable cams for duration and overlap.

·
Registered
234 Posts
as I have read, the thing holding us back immediately for higher gains is the availbility of fuel. The fuel pump and/or injectors will be our biggest hurdle it looks like. but I could be wrong :)

I am excited to work on the little thing. I have only been around v8s in the trucks and the LT1 and LS1, so having fun with a 4 Cyl. for the first time with be a good experience!

·
Registered
991 Posts
OK guys,

The ecotec 2.0L engine is the one the racing poeple have been perfecting over the last couple of years. With a short stroke you get a more responsive engine (shorter piston travel - enertia). This engine is designed to take upwards of 500 or more horse as is _GM quoted engineer. The ECM - parameters, valve timing duration, and fuel injection will need to be changed to increase the hp/tq. The direct injectors are not running at full load on the stock engine. They are PWM controlled and the duty cycle will need to be increased. The mechanical fuel pump is running at about 1250 psi and is camamble of running near 2500 psi. There will be some limits on how far we can change the engine parameters because octane of the fuel sorce will become an issues(knocking/ preignition) and premium fuel won't be enough. Becaues there are direct injectors, there are alot of ways to help increse the output and decrease knock by pre injectiing and post injecting fuel around the main injection of fuel. Remenember we can inject fuel at any time in the cycle. I have done this with deisel engines and the priciple is the same.

PLEASE keep in mind my numbers quoted may be a little off (from memory).

PS The ECM uses a Oak series of Freescale processor which I use in engineering. It is very powerful - cumputerwise and will have no problem keeping everything timed just right.

My two cents

·
Registered
185 Posts
Way2Fast said:
Cast pistons in the turbo....penny pinchers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surely you jest!

GM Press Release said:
Highlights of the Ecotec 2.0-liter Turbo engine include:

•Steel crankshaft
•Forged connecting rods
Forged oil-galley pistons
•Jet-spray piston cooling
•9.2:1 compression ratio
•Aluminum cylinder head with sodium-filled exhaust valves
•High-pressure engine-driven fuel pump
•Variable pressure fuel rail
•Dual-scroll turbocharger
That's forged, I say FORGED pistons, boy! (With apologies to Foghorn Leghorn.) :D

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10418

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright..

Let's look at this from another point of view (in order to obtain 300-350hp)..

Ease of install and price..

NOS is probably the cheapest way to go for a one shot deal..

A CAI/Exhaust combo (might push it to 300, maybe).

ONE OTHER BIG QUESTION THAT'S BEEN EATING ME..

Paddle shifting or Tiptronic conversion (same thing eh?)..

How difficult would it be to get the Redline hooked up with it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm looking forward to the redline cuz I want the already built motor. And to just be able to add bolt on's and not have to worry about the motor is a huge plus. I would hope for 300hp with just bolt on's.

·
Registered
325 Posts
BlueSkyRL said:
OK guys,

The ecotec 2.0L engine is the one the racing poeple have been perfecting over the last couple of years. With a short stroke you get a more responsive engine (shorter piston travel - enertia). This engine is designed to take upwards of 500 or more horse as is _GM quoted engineer. The ECM - parameters, valve timing duration, and fuel injection will need to be changed to increase the hp/tq. The direct injectors are not running at full load on the stock engine. They are PWM controlled and the duty cycle will need to be increased. The mechanical fuel pump is running at about 1250 psi and is camamble of running near 2500 psi. There will be some limits on how far we can change the engine parameters because octane of the fuel sorce will become an issues(knocking/ preignition) and premium fuel won't be enough. Becaues there are direct injectors, there are alot of ways to help increse the output and decrease knock by pre injectiing and post injecting fuel around the main injection of fuel. Remenember we can inject fuel at any time in the cycle. I have done this with deisel engines and the priciple is the same.

PLEASE keep in mind my numbers quoted may be a little off (from memory).

PS The ECM uses a Oak series of Freescale processor which I use in engineering. It is very powerful - cumputerwise and will have no problem keeping everything timed just right.

My two cents
My thoughts exactly, I hope some day you can just tune what GM provided to get some reasonable gains. I would love to see somebody like Edge or Diablo step up and provide a tuner.

·
Super Moderator
11,575 Posts
I see nothing listed about an Intercooler...am I reading that right?

Come on GM, I thought you learned this with the Grand Prix after I saw an IC on the Cobalt...

An Intercooler would take care of that pesky knock issues. So too would a larger throttle body or cams with a different lift...unless the VVT takes care of lift too...I just saw duration and overlap mentioned.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Delnari said:
Tuners on the GM 2.0L engine are testing upgrades now. I have hear reports out of GM Performance division that over 330 hp was made running premium fuel. Maybe this will pass down through the GM performance accessories as stage upgrades.
I think Motor Trend is spying on our threads, August 2006 issue, page 18, "260 horsepower and 20 to 28 mpg from the 2.0-liter Ecotec turbo four in the 2007 Saturn Sky Redline, Pontiac Solstice GXP, and Opel GT sounds impressive. But GM"s already testing Ecotec turbos with over 300 horses."

Or do we write for them?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Robotech said:
I see nothing listed about an Intercooler...am I reading that right?

Come on GM, I thought you learned this with the Grand Prix after I saw an IC on the Cobalt...

An Intercooler would take care of that pesky knock issues. So too would a larger throttle body or cams with a different lift...unless the VVT takes care of lift too...I just saw duration and overlap mentioned.
It's intercooled. You're not going to be pushing 20psi without intercooling it. The main modification to the front nose of the Solstice was to permit proper airflow to the intercooler itself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts