Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for some of us this is just torture. We all joined the site expecting that the Solstice was going to be the one. I (we) saw the Curve and figured it was DOA, though a few here seemed to like it. I was not one that did! Then it happened, we started to get reports and teasing glimpses of a car that Saturn called the "Sky". Once I saw it (pictures only) I was hooked. The Solstice guys talked about the Solstice as being "Organic" or "Classic" and while I could see where they were coming from, the Sky rattled my cage. What about you? Why the Sky and not the Solstice? It's going to cost more, be at least another year, and it is a Saturn...No flame intended here, but if someone told me I would be buying a Saturn five years ago I would have laughed in their face. :cheers:

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a question of personal taste. I was originally planning to replace my 2003 BMW Z4 with the Solstice next year (when my 4 year warranty expires), but when I saw the redesigned Sky (from the original 2001 NAIAS concept 4-seater), I preferred the more edgy style of the Sky (the same reason I preferred the Z4 over the TT or Boxster).
Let's hope most people prefer the Solstice :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
To me is because it looks so much like the car I love but can not afford (Dodge Viper) and the SKY to me looks like a Mini Viper.
I have not seen it in person just pictures, on the other hand I have seen the Solstice in person, so now it is time to see the SKY and soon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Because I told myself that one day, i would own a sports car. that day just happened to come a lot sooner than I thought, because the price is so low :D

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I still have my SC2 that I bought in 1995 and I have been waiting for Saturn to make a good looking sports car again. Sky is that car.

I may not be the first on the block to get one, but I will have one!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why the Sky?

Because the only cars I've ever owned have been Saturns.

And when Saturn released the original sketch, all of us hardcore Saturn lovers jumped for joy. FINALLY Saturn was giving us the car we deserved! I had that sketch as my desktop background from the day it was released until the day more photos were released. I am so excited about this car, it's finally bringing Saturn the attention it deserves.

·
Registered
432 Posts
once i saw pictures of this car, i was hooked. i was obsessed. then i saw it in person at the car show and i made my desicion that this was going to be mine at all costs. nothing against the sol, but its just too basic for me... the sky was perfect. it has everything that i would have wanted and they made it look better than i was able to dream it!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
swatthefly said:
once i saw pictures of this car, i was hooked. i was obsessed. then i saw it in person at the car show and i made my desicion that this was going to be mine at all costs. nothing against the sol, but its just too basic for me... the sky was perfect. it has everything that i would have wanted and they made it look better than i was able to dream it!
What he said!

It started with the email from Saturn with the weird drawing. Piqued my interest a bit, but no big deal.

Once the photos came out and I saw the articles from the Detroit show, I knew I would buy it. I found out it would be at the NY show and could think of nothing else. I had pictures taken for me on preview day by some engineers from work just so I could see more of it just ONE DAY sooner.

I dragged 2 fraternity brothers 50 miles into the city on Good Friday so I could see it. They wanted to see other stuff so I tried not to pee my pants waiting to go upstairs. Once I saw it, the entire world stopped for just a moment. Before me was the next love of my life. I closed the 20 foot distance in a trance as it slowly rotated before me. The wheels alone made me feel faint. I then stood there and stared for five minutes, then asked the rep to show me the top (he said he couldn't open the trunk.) I resumed staring for another 10 minutes until my friends dragged my out of the Javits Center and eventually went home to dream of my first convertible.

Determined to buy one the day they arrive on Long Island, I called my dealer first thing Monday morning to ask about a list or put down a deposit. The salesman I spoke with knew less than I about the car. He told me there was no list, but said he'd call when he knew more.

Undeterred, I called the other local dealership (owned by the same people) and spoke with a different salesman who seemed to know more. He started a list at that dealership at my request.

I kept bouncing around like a 6 year old who's gotten a peek at his Christmas presents. After all, the car I'm in love with was only 50 miles away. By Tuesday I couldn't take it any more, so I dragged a coworker into the city after work. We were both dead tired, but I would not be stopped. She ended up going for food while I just stood there and drooled. At this point, the Saturn folks started looking at me funny, especially when I said I didn't have any questions, but I didn't care.

I noticed the discrete GM badge for the first time and thought it was odd but didn't look bad. If I had made the car, my name would be all over the thing. She eventually dragged me around to all of the other cars and we agreed that nothing else in the convention center came close. When we saw the Solstice, even it could not compare.

By Friday, I had to see it again, so I dragged another friend into the city for another 10 minutes of staring. He was a bit curious why I had been babbling about some car for a week. This time the Saturn people looked at me but didn't come over. I think they may have been a bit concerned. I don't blame them.

Since then, I have checked this forum and the Solstice forum every day for updates (sorry about the lurking.) I also have been doing Google news searches about every other day. Just yesterday, my boss asked 'Are you reading about that car again?' Everyone I know is getting sick of hearing me talk about it, but I don't care. Anyone who's been in the car with me has complained that the windows are all down all the time for convertible practice, but I don't give in. I've been to the DMV website and already selected my plates, and I've actually cleaned out the garage (amd considered carpet) in anticipation.

I guess I've got it bad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like the look of the Sky better. I'm much more "modern" in my tastes than "classic". I think the red Solstice looks like sex on a stick, and every color of Sky looks even better....

And then there is the Saturn loyalty. I have never been so happy with a purchase of any product, let alone a car, than I was when I owned my 96 SL2. I was (and am) treated with the utmost respect and care every single time I interact with the Saturn company. It was not the best car I've ever owned (although it was a good one), but it was the best company BY FAR even when comparing to toyota and honda. Being a performance enthusiast, I sadly couldn't make them my sole provider for my new car needs. With the Sky, that situation has changed...

EDIT: I was sad to learn of the demise of plastic body panels. That is the one thing that I will always wish the Sky had. Some people think they are "cheap" but until you own a plastic bodied car at the same time as a metal bodied car, you can never appreciate the true value of plastic body panels as the metal car slowly gets dings & dents over the years...

·
Registered
9 Posts
My reasons for Sky over Solstice:

1) Slight personal preference for styling, also appreciate chance to re-badge as an "Opel GT" :)

2) Unjustified hope that with the extra few months of development time, top/trunk issues might be improved upon.

3) Waiting for hi-powered version of the Kappa anyway, so extra delay is a non-issue.

4) I've never owned a Saturn, but family & friends are all happy with theirs.

-Stephen M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts