Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: ok so I'd sworn off the solstice site cause it keeps pissin me off with the stupid coments they make about the sky :banghead: . but I went over there just now and they've done it again. I have nothing bad to say about the solstice, but jezz whats up with the comments they make about our sky :confused: , I thought we could all get allong, man I'm swearing that site off again. pls remind me that I should be happy with the info I get here. :cheers:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have been luking over there, since losing my Sol slot and they do seem to be on edge. I hope they cool off, once they get their Sols. I appreciated their knowlege, but if you do not toe the Sol line ... then they will blow up. I often would notice newbies and neutral buyers (undecided between the mx-5, S2K, z4, ect) get cursed out ... just because they were not 110% loyal to Sol.

I hope that this forum remains patient, as the time and membership grows. Arguing about little things like the car companies badging and "heritage" is pretty petty and getting old (on the Sol site). Hopefully, if someone has creative criticism, then they will not be attacked ... over here. I for one like the Sky's looks, but I am not going to get too excited, until I get closer to coming home.

Take Care.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what comments you're refering to?

You know you could just not read those threads too. I would also like to point out negative comments are made about the Solstice here too from time to time as well. As mentioned people are on edge about cars finally coming, and it's the internet too. Not every person is a sparkling gem of insight, you've gotta deal with negativity and opposite views due to such a diverce community.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
We've had an influx of new characters since the First 1000 Delivery Party. Add to that the fact that poeple are hearing how awesome the Solstice is, many of them ordered their car in April, and STILL haven't or are just now getting their cars.

There will forever be comments comparing the Solstice, the Sky, the MX-5, the Honda S2000, and the older roadsters and the more expensive. The Sky hasn't really officially been open for ordering yet. Wait 'til it does... :banghead:

All things tolled, I still think that, for an enthusiast site, things have been mostly tolerant over at Solsticeforum.

I know, Sky'c', you'll want to disagree with me on certain issues, but those that have popped money for a Solstice will defend their purchase choice - just as much as you are defending your choices, Sky4Christ & Lost Sol.
It will happen here (if not this thread being evident of same sentiment).

I'll ask it once again: What info do you think you're not getting here? There's more pics of the Sky than there were of the Solstice at same stage of the game. Many mysteries have already been solved (non-functional vents, similar chassis and same powertrain, etc., fixed mast antenna, colors available, top appearance), the Solstice automotive press reviews seem to be largely positive...

The only thing you don't have is "when you can order a Sky", "how much do they cost and what features are standard", and "when will you get your Sky".

These are unanswerables - EVEN by insiders - because they are currently UNKNOWNS at this point. Pricing has not been decided, as you have seen from the Solstice, delivery timing is tenuous at best, and since pricng has not been decided the options packages have not been completed yet.

What more do you want to know?

You know the Sky is coming Spring 2006 (says it in the Sky Calendar, and has been repeated by Jill L., and numerous sources). That means spring - somewhere between March 21, 2006 and June 21, 2006 (just like "summer 2005" for the Solstice - anywhere between June 21 and September 21).

We've got a very complete technical rundown of the car, and at some point I and the other mods will be re-vamping it as the info becomes available.

We've had a heck of a time trying to maintain respectful and civil discussions at times, but ALL public forums encounter the same stuff - and I'm sure it will happen here.

We're counting on this original "core" group here to help maintain a mature level, and a significant amount of that maturity is "tolerance" for people that have different views - INCLUDING perceptions of brands and character, etc.

For the longest time, Saturn was a car company that had the "perception" of being different... but for all that they only had one car for so many years. I'm sorry, but 1) a single car does not a car company make, and 2) the amount of "donated" support to make saturn even close to being viable can never be counted.

I've said before, and I'll state it again - IT IS A BLESSING THAT THESE TWO CARS ARE SO POLARIZING. GM seems to have done it right. Imagine the outrage if they just took a Solstice, slapped the square red/silver Saturn on the front and said: TA DA!!! Saturn Sky!!!

Or (jeez, I don't even want to think about this) what if they had transmuted the Kappa platform into the 2001 Saturn Sky Concept (<insert emesis smiley here>). What a disaster THAT would have been.

Take solace in the fact that some people find the Solstice a better car than the Sky, and some people find the Sky a better car than the Solstice. That will NEVER change, and thank heavens, too. What you call a "stupid" comment about the Sky is prolly being thought up right now by some magazine that will have a preference for one car or another - SolsticeForum won't be the only place you'll see it.

Also, in the future, there will be trolls that come in and will argue and flame and rant about the Sky, how the <insert your alternate roadster here - MX5/Z4/S2K/oldster/etc.> is SO MUCH BETTER... some will prolly actually claim the other Kappa variants may "perform" differently or better... It will happen.

So, all I'm saying is that some of the thread you are referring to may actually have some useable basis - and Saturn, as a brand, carries some preconcieved notions (like never really having a true "sports" car in the lineup before the Sky - and DON'T tell me the ION is one... :lol: ) and some perceptional baggage - AS DOES Pontiac, and GM in general. Get used to it - if it gets under your skin now, it's gonna be a long hard road ahead for you, and maybe you won't participate anymore when it gets tough around here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
:willy: :brentil: :banghead: :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Get used to it. It's obviously pure jealousy.

:cheers:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sky4christ said:
:mad: ok so I'd sworn off the solstice site cause it keeps pissin me off with the stupid coments they make about the sky :banghead: . but I went over there just now and they've done it again. I have nothing bad to say about the solstice, but jezz whats up with the comments they make about our sky :confused: , I thought we could all get allong, man I'm swearing that site off again. pls remind me that I should be happy with the info I get here. :cheers:
Fogedaboudit.. It's gonna happen. This ain't nothin.. :rolleyes:
You should have seen the pissin and moanin by the BMW Z3 message Board when the Z4 came out.. I could never figure it out. It took about 2 years of Z4 production before things calmed down...
How the design of the Z4 affects the pleasure a Z3 owner will derive from his/her Z3 or how the design of the Sky affects the Solstice owner is beyond my comprehension, but obviously it does... :confused:
I guess in both cases the Z4 and Sky tend towards the edgy end of the design spectrum and therefore may a little too nonconformist for the ophrafied
mainstream... :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree with Kappaman here, prospective SKY owners have very few unknowns compared to Sol owners. We should be thankful that they came before us.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Opinion

I am very excited about getting the Sky, but, geesh, it's just a car. Each of us has our ideas, feelings, reactions; but let's remember...it's just a car.

Given the events on the Gulf Coast and in Iraq....remember, it's just a car whether it's the Solstice, Sky, Miata, etc, etc, ect.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sky4christ said:
I just read a post over here that the "Sol is a poor mans Sky", it works both ways. Earlier today on the Solstice forum a guy who says he's the Solstice of America Club founder says he likes the Sky better than the Solstice, so you tell me. It depends on what you read and how less than useful people can sometimes be with their comments. Saying the "poor mans" thing sure doesn't add much of value to any discussion.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
WOW!!!! Kappa, that was so well read and written, I just read it to my husband. I never go to the Solstice Forums because...well, no reason really, but I definitely hear what you're saying and as disheartening as it may seem, I know that my $500 deposit means nothing until the order comes in. What I think about this whole "bashing" situation, is this.... you are correct, props to GM for getting so many people psyched and pumped about a car. And because of this passion that these people are expressing, they all have to do with a Sol or Sky. What more could GM ask for, oh yeah, except good reviews.... but wait!!!! They got good reviews. I mean the Sol did, which I know then the SKY will, right?

I am very impressed with what you said. I had to share that. It gave me goosebumps.

Now, what's your number? Just in case I have questions... just kidding.

Thanks for creating such a great forum. Cheers to you.... :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
328 Posts
brentil said:
I'm not exactly sure what comments you're refering to?

You know you could just not read those threads too. I would also like to point out negative comments are made about the Solstice here too from time to time as well. As mentioned people are on edge about cars finally coming, and it's the internet too. Not every person is a sparkling gem of insight, you've gotta deal with negativity and opposite views due to such a diverce community.
I have offically stopped reading those type threads, after yesterdays "badge bashing" . I find it hard to listen to Pontiac people bashing Saturn. I will be the first to say that without a Sol, or Sky ... then I would have never considered Pontiac, or Saturn.

When the mod gets bashed (F...88), because he makes a rational and neutral comment, then people are way too tense. :banghead:

I guess if I did not loose my Sol, then I might have other thoughts .... :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
All of the H-ll of baloo

To me an old dog sitting in Iraq this is real funny reading all the coments about which is which between the two cars. I remember hearing all this in the 60's over the Fords, Chev,and Olds. Which car was the best. Cars are like Women and Men what I like in women you may not what a women likes in men you may not. But they are all great if they are the one you want. So just kick back and enjoy your car. At least you have been able to get your name on one as of Yet I have not. But I will keep trying .

·
Registered
328 Posts
I understand ... I don't have a vehicle at my FOB (I "bum" a ride sometimes), so ANY car would be great. :D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Cowboy said:
To me an old dog sitting in Iraq this is real funny reading all the coments about which is which between the two cars. I remember hearing all this in the 60's over the Fords, Chev,and Olds. Which car was the best. Cars are like Women and Men what I like in women you may not what a women likes in men you may not. But they are all great if they are the one you want. So just kick back and enjoy your car. At least you have been able to get your name on one as of Yet I have not. But I will keep trying .
I've made similar analogies - some of them here on skyroadster, with flavor of ice cream, or restaurant preferences. Like arguing about "whose favorite color is better..."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would it be greedy to say that I want a Solstice and a Sky (even at the cost of trading in one of my other rides)? The Solstice is a 95% done deal, but the Sky is just as nice and if I can convince my wife why I neeeeeeed a Sky or I will just die... maybe she will cave and let me do it. (She still has trouble understanding why I have three Cutlass convertibles- the cheap ones.)

Each ride has a desireable look and feel and rather than be torn between both, they are so affordable as compared to what else is out there, why not get one of each.

My wife likes the Sky as much a I do and maybe she will go for a his and hers deal (which will eventually become a his and his when she takes a likng to something else).

Honestly, if anyone won the lotto, would you think twice to get one of each and another set in a GXP/Redline version? And a Mallet? Oh sure, youl'd probably get that $150K car, but like someone else said, how much would you worry if it got scratched and the trade off for pure driving excitement.
v/r Wdubbaluw

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well i probably will get black balled from the Solstice forum, because I defended Saturn for having a Sky...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol

classic66vair said:
well i probably will get black balled from the Solstice forum, because I defended Saturn for having a Sky...
Priceless, :lol: you rock

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
classic66vair said:
You're permitted to share pretty much any opinion you like as long as it doesn't vioate the forum rules. Which means not attacking people and staying civil. Which I don't think I've seen you do classic, so you're ok.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Solstice VS SKY is a pointless argument akin to Camaro vs. Firebird. They are both great cars that overlap in their audience. There will always be people who prefer one over the other by a substantial margin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts