Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think the Sky or Solstice can take wider tires? Maybe P275/45R18? I love the look of a wide, low roadster with massive rear tires. But the tires should not stick out beyond the fenders--that would look stupid. The Dodge Viper roadster is a good example of the look I'm after--wide, low and very aggressive stance.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know it it would look right, the angles in the back are such that it may seem distorted.. you could probably have custom panels put on the Solstice, that would look awesome, like a Shelby Cobra ..

·
Registered
432 Posts
radtech said:
Does anyone think the Sky or Solstice can take wider tires? Maybe P275/45R18? I love the look of a wide, low roadster with massive rear tires. But the tires should not stick out beyond the fenders--that would look stupid. The Dodge Viper roadster is a good example of the look I'm after--wide, low and very aggressive stance.
well there are a few things to be paying attention to:

first, the offset of the rims. if the offset is too low, the wider tires may rub in the wheelwell. if the offset is too high, the wider tires may stick out too much beyond the fender.

i would recommend that you wait until you have the car in hand, or at least a buddy so that you can take some measurements. you will want to find out the deepest into the wheelwell that you can go without rubbing. then you will want to measure from that point to the farthest that you would want your tires to stick out. then, if i were you, i would round down, just to give you a margin of error.

my guess is that you could pull off 265's but beyond that, its anyones guess. if you are hardcore into the wider tires, you could try extending the fenders out an inch or two. that would accomadate maybe 290 or even 300 if you really push it.

but remember that too wide can be just as bad as too thin. first, if you widen your tires and beef up your engine (as i think most of us may), then you run the risk of breaking some of the weaker parts of the drivetrain. second, the wider contact patch of the bigger tires will increase your risk of hydroplaning. and finally, wider tires will cause more wind resistance, lowering your top speed a little.

i personally will keep the 245's in the front, but i may go up to 255's or 265's in the rear.

·
Registered
554 Posts
radtech said:
I had the opportunity to visit the Bowling Green, KY assembly plant recently where the new Z06 prototypes are currently rolling off the assembly line. The new Z06 has 325/30/19 rear tires on 12" rims, and standard Corvette has 285/35/19 rear tires on 10" rims. The trick GM did was to put rear fender flare extenders on the back of the wheel wells to keep the tire inside the wheel well. The 18" wheels on both the Solstice/Sky would require likewise addition to go pass the standard 8" wheels as they completely fill the existing wheel well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Delnari,

I think I saw a post where someone wants Mallet to put 330/30/19s at the rear on their LS2 V8 Solstice/Sky. I think that would be way too much and would probably look ridiculous. But would Mallet have to add fender flares or cut the wheel wells to accomplish that?

·
Registered
432 Posts
radtech said:
Delnari,

I think I saw a post where someone wants Mallet to put 330/30/19s at the rear on their LS2 V8 Solstice/Sky. I think that would be way too much and would probably look ridiculous. But would Mallet have to add fender flares or cut the wheel wells to accomplish that?
it may be a little of both

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
For the rear wheels spacers might even be needed with elongated bolts to get wider rims to actually fit correctly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
brentil said:
For the rear wheels spacers might even be needed with elongated bolts to get wider rims to actually fit correctly.
yeah, and again, that will depend on the offset and if you want the tires to go into the wheelwell or out past the fender.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
swatthefly said:
yeah, and again, that will depend on the offset and if you want the tires to go into the wheelwell or out past the fender.
Tires that extend past the fenders look silly. That's definately not an option for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
rims

i will put a set of volk rims on my car 18x9.5 with 265x45x18 that should be enough rubber on the ground with a lot a bit lighter wheel and tire set up to get good traction and handle very well with a little less stress on the drivetrain

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any photoshop guys here?

I would like to see what a Sky/Solstice would look like with massive rear tires. Any photoshop guys in here?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
radtech said:
Tires that extend past the fenders look silly. That's definately not an option for me.
What you do then is get some wide body fenders.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sky with wide rear tires (photoshop)

Well...since no one tried to photoshop in some wide tires on a Sky, I decided to do it myself. This probably looks too fake though!

Anyway, here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
radtech said:
Well...since no one tried to photoshop in some wide tires on a Sky, I decided to do it myself. This probably looks too fake though!

Anyway, here it is.
looks good! i may want to lower it one inch. the vett can pull of the wider tires better because it is wider itself. so if the sky is lowered, it creates the illusion that it is wider as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
swatthefly said:
looks good! i may want to lower it one inch. the vett can pull of the wider tires better because it is wider itself. so if the sky is lowered, it creates the illusion that it is wider as well.
You would be surprised to know that the C6 Vette is only 1.2 inches wider and less than 1 inch lower than the Sky. Also the Sky is much shorter in overall length by 13.5 inches. What's really surprising is that the Sky has a wider rear track than the Vette. :confused:

The Sky would look even sweeter with a lowering kit (maybe 1.5" kit) and wide rear tires. It would be even lower than a Vette at 48.6"

SKY Specs:
Body width in. 71.4
Overall height in. 50.1
Overall length in. 161.1
Front track width in. 60.5
Rear track width in. 61.2

Corvette Specs (C6):
Body width in. 72.6
Overall height in. 49.15
Overall length in. 174.6
Front track width in. 62.1
Rear track width in. 60.7

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The most important thing to look at when doing this type of comparison is wheelbase. Because Length isn't really that indicative of how big a car really. For example the Sky is like ~4 inches longer then the Solstice I believe even though they have the same wheelbase. That's because the Sky's front facia doesn't curl around like the Solstice's and sticks out far more. The car is in no way any bigger or heavier, it's facia's just a bit longer.

Solstice/Sky
Wheelbase 95.1"
Corvette C6/Z06
Wheelbase 106.0"
Corvette C5/Z06
Wheelbase 104.5"

Now these numbers really show a difference in car dynamics. Over 10" in difference, wow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brentil said:
The most important thing to look at when doing this type of comparison is wheelbase. Because Length isn't really that indicative of how big a car really. For example the Sky is like ~4 inches longer then the Solstice I believe even though they have the same wheelbase. That's because the Sky's front facia doesn't curl around like the Solstice's and sticks out far more. The car is in no way any bigger or heavier, it's facia's just a bit longer.

Solstice/Sky
Wheelbase 95.1"
Corvette C6/Z06
Wheelbase 106.0"
Corvette C5/Z06
Wheelbase 104.5"

Now these numbers really show a difference in car dynamics. Over 10" in difference, wow.
In other words, the overall length is the distance from the tip of the front facia to the tip of the rear facia. And the wheelbase is the distance between the centers of the front and rear wheels. Correct?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
radtech said:
You would be surprised to know that the Vette is only 1.2 inches wider and less than 1 inch lower than the Sky. Also the Sky is much shorter in overall length by 13.5 inches. What's really surprising is that the Sky has a wider rear track than the Vette. :confused:

The Sky would look even sweeter with a lowering kit (maybe 1.5" kit) and wide rear tires. It would be even lower than a Vette at 48.6"

SKY Specs:
Body width in. 71.4
Overall height in. 50.1
Overall length in. 161.1

Corvette Specs:
Body width in. 72.6
Overall height in. 49.15
Overall length in. 174.6
Are those C5 or C6 'vette specs?

·
Registered
250 Posts
radtech said:
What's really surprising is that the Sky has a wider rear track than the Vette. :confused:

SKY Specs:
Body width in. 71.4
Overall height in. 50.1
Overall length in. 161.1

Corvette Specs (C6):
Body width in. 72.6
Overall height in. 49.15
Overall length in. 174.6
Remember track is measured from the outsite of the tire to the inside of the other tire, the reason the track is less by 1.6 inches is because the tires are wider.
spec rear on the vette are 285mm and the sky is 245mm
That is a 40 millimeters = 1.57480315 difference per tire.. to compensate for the width, the track is made smaller.
or
width of ski is = 70.85 at rear tires
width of vette = 71.92 at rear tires.

So it is actually, not surprising that the track is less.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts