Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, well, lets get straight to business, i'm a BIG fella, 6'7", 200+ lbs.... right now i drive a 97 camaro, and fit alright, i'm comfortable as i'm going to be... in my girlfriend's 99 civic SiR, its not nearly as comfortable, my neck has to be bent, no joke.

anyways, i really am planning on purchasing an 07/08 sky redline but am severely concerned about whether i'm going to fit or not.

So, anyone who has sat in one, give me your input, do you think i'd fit?

thanks
ian

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Go to a Mazda dealer and sit in a Miata. The proportions are very close from what I have read.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
rick112 said:
Go to a Mazda dealer and sit in a Miata. The proportions are very close from what I have read.
Whoooa, backup, reverse, strike that.

In no way go sit in a Miata or MSM to guage if you'll fit in a Solstice/Sky.

2005 Miata Front headroom 37.1"
Z4 Front headroom 37.3"
2006 MX-5 Front headroom 37.4"
Z3 Front headroom 37.6"
Solstice Front headroom 38.5"

If you want a good example of how you'll really fit try a BMW Z3 instead. The difference is night and day with only a the half inch difference on paper (I think the difference is actually greater). I'm 5'10" (but with a short 30" inseem so I sit very tall) and I can't fit in a Miata with the top down. My head is literally in the roof. However I fit perfectly fine in a Z3 with extra head room, like about an inch extra.

However you're going to want to go read RadRiv's post from yesterday at the Solstice Forum too.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56376&postcount=17

It's really going to depend on how you're built. People taller then me fit in Miata's but I don't due to my tall sitting. Depending on how you're built you might fit since the Solstice is designed larger inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks for the help,

i have driven a z3 with the roof down, and fit quite well in it, yes not the most comfortable leg room, but it was a fun drive... and i have a very long torsoe (sp?), so i'm thinking that the leg room will be ok, after reading that post about the fella driving the solstice...

lets hope, this is my plan for a next car.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I hope at 6'2" I fit in the car with a 32" inseem

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
We have a 2003 Saturn l-200 sedan and the interier dimentions are almot the same as the SKY.

SKY L-200

legroom 42.7" 42.3"
Headroom 38.5" 39.3"
Shoulderroom 50.o" 55.7"
Hip room 52.4" 51.0"

I was 6' 2" 294 and I fit just fine into our L-200. I've lost 57 lbs and now I fit enev better. So I'm not worring about the fit into my new SKY.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hip Room?

Wonder why they don't list Hip room on the Solstice site (assuming same dim. as SKY)?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
:confused:

As a general reference the whole lot of them are similar in proportions! You are talking about a difference of 1.4" of front head room. Headroom in a roadster is not an issue for a man that is 6'7" anyway. He is likely to drive it on sunny days with the roof down. His real issue with will likely be leg room. From what I have read the Miata has .1" less leg room than the Miata.

Solstice vs. Miata

Headroom Solstice +1.4"
Sholder room Solstice +2.7"
Legroom Solstice -.1"

brentil said:
Whoooa, backup, reverse, strike that.

In no way go sit in a Miata or MSM to guage if you'll fit in a Solstice/Sky.

2005 Miata Front headroom 37.1"
Z4 Front headroom 37.3"
2006 MX-5 Front headroom 37.4"
Z3 Front headroom 37.6"
Solstice Front headroom 38.5"

If you want a good example of how you'll really fit try a BMW Z3 instead. The difference is night and day with only a the half inch difference on paper (I think the difference is actually greater). I'm 5'10" (but with a short 30" inseem so I sit very tall) and I can't fit in a Miata with the top down. My head is literally in the roof. However I fit perfectly fine in a Z3 with extra head room, like about an inch extra.

However you're going to want to go read RadRiv's post from yesterday at the Solstice Forum too.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56376&postcount=17

It's really going to depend on how you're built. People taller then me fit in Miata's but I don't due to my tall sitting. Depending on how you're built you might fit since the Solstice is designed larger inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rick112 said:
:confused:

As a general reference the whole lot of them are similar in proportions! You are talking about a difference of 1.4" of front head room. Headroom in a roadster is not an issue for a man that is 6'7" anyway. He is likely to drive it on sunny days with the roof down. His real issue with will likely be leg room. From what I have read the Miata has .1" less leg room than the Miata.

Solstice vs. Miata

Headroom Solstice +1.4"
Sholder room Solstice +2.7"
Legroom Solstice -.1"
yes and no, this would be a year round car for me, and it rains a lot in vancouver, so head room would be an issue, but fundamentally, leg room would, i think, be a bigger issue....

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
---------------------Solstice---Miata----MX-5
Front legroom -------- 42.8" --- 42.8" --- 43.1" --- MX-5
Front headroom ------ 38.5" --- 37.1" --- 37.4" --- Solstice
Front hiproom -------- 50.6" --- 49.2" --- 50.6" --- Solstice/MX-5
Front shoulder room -- 52.4" --- 49.7" --- 53.2" --- MX-5

The old Miata is going to feel very small compared to the Solstice or new MX-5.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Note of caution regarding "official" published headroom/legroom measurements.:
When I went looking for a roadster several years ago, the main critieria was headroom/legroom for my 6'5" frame.
I could not fit comfortably in the Miata, Audi TT, Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3, MB SLK.
The only roadster which fit me comfortably was the BMW Z4 with sufficient legroom and plenty (with 1.5" to spare) of headroom (with the top down).
On paper, the Z4 is close to some of its compertitors in those dimensions, yet in reality, it's considerably more spacious.
So, my point is - the only way to know for sure (if you're a 6'4" person or larger) is to sit in the actual car you're considering - not one which supposedly has similar cockpit dimensions.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've always wondered how *exactly* they come up with the numbers.. Does seat movement come into play when these are done. Example of increasing head room is having substantial drop in the rear of the seat.

Is this the case with the Z4, if it is able to adjust the rear of the seat lower it would definately buy you head room.

·
Registered
432 Posts
sky_vue said:
I've always wondered how *exactly* they come up with the numbers.. Does seat movement come into play when these are done. Example of increasing head room is having substantial drop in the rear of the seat.

Is this the case with the Z4, if it is able to adjust the rear of the seat lower it would definately buy you head room.
i dont know how they actually measure it, but i do know the seats will not be vertically adjustible in the current kappas

·
Registered
250 Posts
swatthefly said:
i dont know how they actually measure it, but i do know the seats will not be vertically adjustible in the current kappas
krap(pa).. I was really hoping for that option.. I have it in all the cars I've owned.. and it's always helped add that extra room..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Speaking of Saturn seating in general, when is Saturn going to make a vehicle with heated seats, or electronically adjustable seats? I suppose it's due to cost, but if they're really trying to put a dent in the market, they should at least offer these features in their vehicles, don't you think?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
soulbluprint said:
Speaking of Saturn seating in general, when is Saturn going to make a vehicle with heated seats, or electronically adjustable seats? I suppose it's due to cost, but if they're really trying to put a dent in the market, they should at least offer these features in their vehicles, don't you think?
I wouldn't be suprised to see the Aura offer those.

·
Registered
250 Posts
soulbluprint said:
Hey I've got heated, electric adjustable seats in my vue.. so believe it or not, they are already giving you these options.

Which is nice to have.. on a cold day.. in florida... :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
sky_vue said:
Hey I've got heated, electric adjustable seats in my vue.. so believe it or not, they are already giving you these options.

Which is nice to have.. on a cold day.. in florida... :eek:
For when your black leather seats aren't hot enough in the FL sun, just turn on the heater too. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
The RELAY (Saturn minivan) also offers both front seats in 6-way power and with the heat option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts