Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will the Redline Sky have vin starting at 001 or just a continuation of Base Sky Vin if so will Redline have any designation in Vin. Some our saying the Redline is just a option like a upgraded radio. If that is so then why has there been some threads saying the car has to be certified for sale and that is why it won't be available till fall. If the base sky was certified and the Redline is just a option like a Radio they to say it has to be recertified doesn't make sense. In essense the Redline is just bolt on accessories. My feeling is that after the plant shut down the first week of July. Redline production should be able to start. Because if it is all bolt on accessories it would be a matter of setting up a few more assembly stations and moving parts inventory in place. I'm not a automotive expert or anything but just using reason my assumptions would seem logical. They are accepting preorders now on dealer world as many including myself have already reported, my GM told me he should have a build number within two weeks(one week ago), they(Dealer World) wouldn't accept certain options(Bluestone) on preorder. If the purpose of the preorder was to determine demand for Redline and options as some have stated, Why then would some options not be accepted? A resonable answer would be that production start is already in place and these options are not in stock for the start-up date planned. Wouldn't the line have to be stopped to put in and configure new work stations? The first week of July is a scheduled shut down at the plant in the interest of saving time and money by stopping production line at a latter date doesn't it make sense to make the configuration changes on a scheduled shut down.
Alright I'm ready for you to beat me up, again this is just my opinion. First day of summer is June 22, it was in a saturn advertisement available summer 2006.

·
Registered
540 Posts
this is a really good question. I dont have any answers but I am interrested to hear from somebody who does.:D

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moderators, Dealers,Kappaman where are you

I was hoping for some of the more informed members to chime in. Or is it too reasonable to refute? Just teasing tring to pull out some answer

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would think the Redline would be an option on the basic SKY. The re-certification is most likely the new engine and transmission combination in the car needing to be EPA certified. If they were that close to production I would think that would be done by now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
for starters, i don't think the plant is scheduled to shut down first week of june, it is the week of july 4.......i believe they usually shut down for 2 weeks, but because of the sky and maybe the rl they are closing for only 1 weeks vacation..........

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barb are you sure?

In Another thread from skyspy he had june 26th for start of production for the new adjustable seat(height)(standard equiptment), would they shut down and reorganize a week before a shut down? If anyone knows for sure could you post?

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I copied the information from the SKY Order Guide online HERE, go down to the middle of the page right besides the RPO Code "AF2."

The actual scheduled "shut-down" is for the week of the 4th of July and the information I have is that they will only be down for 1 week.

To address the topic, as much as I would like for the VIN to re-start, I don't think it will. :nono: Remember the RedLine is going to be an OPTION, not a separate model perse' so I doubt there will be a RedLine specific re-count. Just an opinion here since I have no official information on this matter... :eek:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sky Spy I will edit

Once again SkySpy comes thru with good info. Please if anyone else has a view let the opinions fly.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
barb said:
for starters, i don't think the plant is scheduled to shut down first week of june, it is the week of july 4.......i believe they usually shut down for 2 weeks, but because of the sky and maybe the rl they are closing for only 1 weeks vacation..........
:agree:

Only 1 week shut down week of 4th of July. Last year they only had 1 week also, due to demand of the Sky and Solstice.

·
Registered
255 Posts
SKY Spy said:
I copied the information from the SKY Order Guide online HERE, go down to the middle of the page right besides the RPO Code "AF2."

The actual scheduled "shut-down" is for the week of the 4th of July and the information I have is that they will only be down for 1 week.

To address the topic, as much as I would like for the VIN to re-start, I don't think it will. :nono: Remember the RedLine is going to be an OPTION, not a separate model perse' so I doubt there will be a RedLine specific re-count. Just an opinion here since I have no official information on this matter... :eek:

Regards,

Thanks SKY Spy for the RPO codes. Question for you --- is it reasonable for me to go to the dealer and ask for a copy of my order, which would include all the RPO codes I ordered as well as the order number and TPW date? The last time I spoke to the GM he was very hesitant to even tell me how many names were on the deposit list. I don't want to irritate him but I would really like to verify all my selected options as they are now on order.:brentil: Thanks for any advise you can offer.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
longwaitlarry said:
Thanks SKY Spy for the RPO codes. Question for you --- is it reasonable for me to go to the dealer and ask for a copy of my order, which would include all the RPO codes I ordered as well as the order number and TPW date? The last time I spoke to the GM he was very hesitant to even tell me how many names were on the deposit list. I don't want to irritate him but I would really like to verify all my selected options as they are now on order.:brentil: Thanks for any advise you can offer.
I would ask but I would do it in a very polite and non-threatening way. Seems like your GM is a little "old-school" when it comes to the level of knowledge customers have nowadays. Just be very casual about it and see if he/she will help you out. Tell him/her that you have knowledge of other people who have ordered a SKY have been given a copy/printout of their order and that they do get periodic "updates" as to the progress of their order. Make sure he/she knows that you are reasonalble and that you are aware that you can't hold them to any specific dates since things change on a daily basis. See what happens there... :thumbs:

Regards,

·
Registered
255 Posts
SKY Spy said:
I would ask but I would do it in a very polite and non-threatening way. Seems like your GM is a little "old-school" when it comes to the level of knowledge customers have nowadays. Just be very casual about it and see if he/she will help you out. Tell him/her that you have knowledge of other people who have ordered a SKY have been given a copy/printout of their order and that they do get periodic "updates" as to the progress of their order. Make sure he/she knows that you are reasonalble and that you are aware that you can't hold them to any specific dates since things change on a daily basis. See what happens there... :thumbs:

Regards,

Thanks SKY Spy - Your approach seems very reasonable. I'll try it and let you know of any success.:cheers:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
New thread looking at July delivery

I just read a thread that stated he was looking for July delivery after talking with his dealer.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope so Ernest

I plan on selling or trading mine when RL comes dealer says I should get what I paid for it in trade and then no sales tax liability. I really hope they decide to do something with the vin. to designate it as Redline or clones will pop up and dilute value and exclusivness.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
I just read a thread that stated he was looking for July delivery after talking with his dealer.
:nono: I wouldn't hold my breath!!! :nono:

Regards,

·
Registered
304 Posts
First to answer the question brought up about certification.

The Redline (and GXP) have a brand new engine, much different from anything else in GM's garage. It DOES have to pass EPA and CARB testing before it can be sold. As part of teh EPA will also be mpg certs. It does not need new crashtest data.

Second as far as vins, as stated before the "package" is just an option and their will be mixed production going down the line so don't expect any special vin, except at the beginning of the vin to identify the model code (part of any vin identifies the engine on board).

Third, not asked but answered, GXP allocations are being handled as a separate grouping, I would expect the same for Redline. What does this mean? It means that the dealers will have two sets of numbers of allocated vehicles, one for base, and one for boosted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts