Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question in regards to Limits (for lack of better terminalogy) on the SKYs topend performance. I have 04 L300.3/V6 and at about 115mph it falls off drastically, and I still have gas pedal left. RPMs are not a red line, but noses over. The same thing happens on my 04VUE/V6 at 100mph, is this some kind of safety thing that factory has programmed into vehicle? It is frustrating because I know can go faster than this. I can feel the anxiety in L300 as it still has power but is restrained. Will the SKY have this problem?
Is this some governor? installed by them? Inquiring minds want to know!:driving:

ERNEST:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ernest said:
I have a question in regards to Limits (for lack of better terminalogy) on the SKYs topend performance. I have 04 L300.3/V6 and at about 115mph it falls off drastically, and I still have gas pedal left. RPMs are not a red line, but noses over. The same thing happens on my 04VUE/V6 at 100mph, is this some kind of safety thing that factory has programmed into vehicle? It is frustrating because I know can go faster than this. I can feel the anxiety in L300 as it still has power but is restrained. Will the SKY have this problem?
Is this some governor? installed by them? Inquiring minds want to know!:driving:

ERNEST:D
Most new cars have a speed cut off, alot of it is based on the speed rating of the factory tires. It is in the basic programming of your car's computer. Some of the power programmers that are available on the market today will bypass this cut off... Hopefully if the SKY has one someone will have a power programmer to bypass this feature.. I hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have read that the Solstice has an electronic limiter to top out at
123MPH. That was in one of the auto magazines.
My personal top was 105 and no lag was detected but on my trip
to the races in Daytona tonight I will see about increasing my
test results and update the info next week.
Hopefully the local gendarmes are not on this forum.
:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man does it ever, thanks a whole bunch because I was debating whether to post this thread, thought it might be my imagination. I am not too crazy after all!!!!! Does replacing power void factory warranty? My family roots are in Tennessee, way back there, but there still the same.

ERNEST

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
As with most cars electronicly limited you can get software to unlock that setting. I'd defintely recommend getting much better summer only tires and only doing it at the track if you plan to reach speeds exceeding 123mph. Along with a helmet, roll bar, and 5-point harness. :D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The solstice, (and presumably the sky) is electronically limited, but the top speed is limited to like, 150 MPH or something like that. The top speed for the N/A Solstice (and presumably the sky) is DRAG limited - meaning there is insufficient power to exceed about 123 mph or so.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldn't try it without those for sure, it was for info only. Although not road raced much, I have driven full tilt drag cars when I was young. I beleive 110% in safety equipment. Wore seat belts long before it was the law.

ERNEST

·
Registered
57 Posts
The manufacturers generally install speed limiters for a number of reasons: they don't think the car has the stability or aero to be controllable at high speeds, etc.

But the biggest reason is often the tire rating. A good example is the 98-02 Camaro convertible. The coupe and the convertible both had sufficient power to exceed 155 mph. the couple came with Z rated tires and no speed limiter: it would top out, drag limited, at around 155-160.

The convertible, for some reason, came with different tires, speed rated to only something like 122 mph (200 kph). Gm set the speed limiter on it at around that speed.

You can re-program these, but in the sky and Solstice it won't be an issue stock because the cars hit a drag limit at around 125-130 anyway. The trubo version with 260 Hp will probably be drag limited at around 145.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Ernest said:
By drag limited, you mean the drag force incurred at a high rate of speed exxceeds the abilty of the motor to push car to higher speed?

ERNEST
That's what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
2 words

As the title suggests I can sum this up in 2 words....James Dean
Please dont take this car to those extremes! Life is to short anyway and we would hate to lose you =)

·
Registered
30 Posts
RE: 2 words

Astronomer said:
As the title suggests I can sum this up in 2 words....James Dean
Please dont take this car to those extremes! Life is to short anyway and we would hate to lose you =)
Sounds like you are a firm believer in the "speed kills" myth.:willy:

Poor driving skills kill.

Don't get me wrong there are definitly times when it is dangerous to drive fast: traffic congestion, weather, etc., etc. However if it is a sunny day and you are on an open road with no other cars you will not automaticly explode at speeds over 100 mph. :lol: My personal fastest is 145 mph on my Suzuki GSX-R 750 motorcycle. When I can finally get my hands on a sky redline and boosting the power above stock causes the car to be electronically speed limited, that limiter software will be the first to go. :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Sky_Flyer said:
Sounds like you are a firm believer in the "speed kills" myth.:willy:

Poor driving skills kill.

Don't get me wrong there are definitly times when it is dangerous to drive fast: traffic congestion, weather, etc., etc. However if it is a sunny day and you are on an open road with no other cars you will not automaticly explode at speeds over 100 mph. :lol: My personal fastest is 145 mph on my Suzuki GSX-R 750 motorcycle. When I can finally get my hands on a sky redline and boosting the power above stock causes the car to be electronically speed limited, that limiter software will be the first to go. :D
I hope you are just talking about on race tracks, anyone that drives at those speeds on the street are asking to kill some innocent person...or some stupid person like yourself... do you really know if an animal is going to run out in the road while your doing 145 on your motorcycle? do you know if some granny is going to back out of her driveway in front of you because you are going do fast she does not see you? driving over 100 on the road is just plain Stupid.....grow up and leave the fast driving on the racetrack...

·
Registered
30 Posts
RE: Cul-de-sac racing

SkyMan 07 said:
do you know if some granny is going to back out of her driveway in front of you because you are going do fast she does not see you? driving over 100 on the road is just plain Stupid.....grow up and leave the fast driving on the racetrack...
Man, I really stirred up some emotion here. :brentil:

First off, I would never blast through a neighborhood or any place where there is driveways, including streets with old age homes on them. :lol:
When I decide to open it up, it is always on a limited access highway in an area where there are not even on-ramps (because that is how the cops nail you) and it is always when there is very sparse traffic so that no weeving through lanes is required. Is there a chance that a squirrel could become a greasy spot under my tire, a small chance I guess, but I am looking farther and farther ahead as my speed increases so that I can pick up these things. Anything goes ary and I am off the gas and lightly on the brakes, and can make a slight turn to avoid if necessary. Everyone should know where all of the cars around them are at any time, no matter what the speed. As speed increases, this circle of awareness has to grow in size to allow you time to react. Now you might say what about a deer jumping out in front of you? Extremely remote, as the highways I chose to do this on have walls on both sides to keep noise down for the houses that ajoin the freeway. I am not endorsing standing on the go pedal everywhere you drive, but merely saying that there are times when accelerating hard and traveling at speed can be done safely and that it is a great way to live life to the fullest. :thumbs:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sky_Flyer said:
Man, I really stirred up some emotion here. .........
........... I am not endorsing standing on the go pedal everywhere you drive, but merely saying that there are times when accelerating hard and traveling at speed can be done safely and that it is a great way to live life to the fullest. :thumbs:
Yeah, and I am Mario Andretti no, Al Unser no, Parnelli Jones oh yeah I'm Dale Earnhart jr. The only almost safe place to do that kind of driving is in Germany on the Autobaun. Even then you have to pass a real strict driving program. The US and Canada do not have any roads to match.
Macho behind the wheel, that's what we need!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Come on Eldeeko, if the man wreaks his car it gives everybody else spare parts, auto as well as body parts. BTW what is your blood type,Sky-flyer. I'm looking for an A- lung. Will it to me pleaseee. Skip....:lol: :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I guess the real limiter is behind the steering wheel. :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Sky_Flyer said:
Man, I really stirred up some emotion here. :brentil:

First off, I would never blast through a neighborhood or any place where there is driveways, including streets with old age homes on them. :lol:
When I decide to open it up, it is always on a limited access highway in an area where there are not even on-ramps (because that is how the cops nail you) and it is always when there is very sparse traffic so that no weeving through lanes is required. Is there a chance that a squirrel could become a greasy spot under my tire, a small chance I guess, but I am looking farther and farther ahead as my speed increases so that I can pick up these things. Anything goes ary and I am off the gas and lightly on the brakes, and can make a slight turn to avoid if necessary. Everyone should know where all of the cars around them are at any time, no matter what the speed. As speed increases, this circle of awareness has to grow in size to allow you time to react. Now you might say what about a deer jumping out in front of you? Extremely remote, as the highways I chose to do this on have walls on both sides to keep noise down for the houses that ajoin the freeway. I am not endorsing standing on the go pedal everywhere you drive, but merely saying that there are times when accelerating hard and traveling at speed can be done safely and that it is a great way to live life to the fullest. :thumbs:
There are many people in the grave right now that thought they were being safe... Speed kills is not a myth as you say... the faster you go the more likely you will be injured or killed if something goes wrong... other cars or animals are not the only thing you need to worry about, an unexpected part failure on your own car for one, a defective tire that you cannot tell until it blows.... High speeds belong on a racetrack with all the Safety equipment, not on the highway...
you keep doing it like this and it will jump up and bite you in the rear one day... it is just a matter of time... and someone will be putting you in baggies...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
eldeeko said:
Yeah, and I am Mario Andretti no, Al Unser no, Parnelli Jones oh yeah I'm Dale Earnhart jr. The only almost safe place to do that kind of driving is in Germany on the Autobaun. Even then you have to pass a real strict driving program. The US and Canada do not have any roads to match.
Macho behind the wheel, that's what we need!
and the Autobaun is not completely safe because you have cars going at different speeds... only parts of the Autobaun you can drive fast on too, other parts do have limited speeds...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts