Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the flagship of GM sportscars being the Corvette and the top of the line, big bad boy Z06 at 505 HP, will GM give Chevrolet a Kappa based sportscar? I mean, for the price of a Z06, I can get two Redlines and still have change left over for a few tanks of gas....

:D

Yeah, yeah, I saw the Nomad at the North American Auto Show back when the platform was in it's formative stages.
But I'm not really looking for a small stationwagon.....
even if it has hidden door handles and a grill from the '53 Corvette parts bin.....

Your thoughts?

HoldHard

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
A lot of peopled seemed to like the Nomad, I personally thought the trunk/tailgate was very inventive of a design. However in order to make the Kappa platform work with a design like this it only had a couple gallon fuel tank, just enough to drive around at the shows to get it in place and such from what I've heard.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
So, are you saying that people wouldn't like to have a Mayan Temple in the middle of their mini-wagon load floor ?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Perhaps this would be an opertunity to resolve this issue. Someone somewhere must be working on the "next" update to the Kappa Architecture. And from what I've read Kappa was designed to be modified.

They are going to have to step it eventually. The new product thing isn't going to sell cars forever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i thought i saw a camaro concept car based on the kappa platform in some report(found here at shyreadster) at the new york car show

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
A next gen idea could be very possible idea if GM determines the Kappa platform has been fruitful enough to make another version. The first iteration was really a "will it really sell" type it seems. Also to keep the prices as low as possible we all know we ended up with the Mayan temple instead of a Z4/Corvette style tank that are pretty expensive.

i thought i saw a camaro concept car based on the kappa platform in some report(found here at shyreadster) at the new york car show
From the people I've talked to that was a rumor.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nomad

I, personnaly, am very disapointed that GM did not introduce a Chevy Nomad. I saw the car at the New York Auto Show and would have bought it on the spot. What GM does not realize is that there is a new demographic out there. My wife and I are very active empty nesters. The Nomad would be perfect with storage, sport handling, a turbocharged engine, with every option at an affordable price around 30-33K. It could be used just to enjoy driving but it could also haul groceries into the house and plants from the nursery. Then there is the need to haul two sets of golf clubs to the local course. The Soltice/Saturn hardtop is also a concept that would fit the need though not as well or attractively as the Nomad.

I have been searching the forums for any news of adding lines to the Soltice/Saturn plant. If I were Lutz, I would not entertain any new Kappa lines until there is added capacity, and I heard a rumor that a new line was being considered. The Nomad is a lengthened Kappa that would require a separate line - at least that is what I have been able to gleam from the several blogs and forums I visit.

Does anyone have any hard information on this subject? What new Kappa's are coming and when?

Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lutz had 3 platforms in mind.
Pontiac
Saturn
I hear maybe Opel.

Being as they are going to offer the Solstice with a chevy engine soon I see no reason why to build a chevy.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Pontiac
Saturn
I hear maybe Opel.

Being as they are going to offer the Solstice with a chevy engine soon I see no reason why to build a chevy.
Pontiac, Saturn, and Opel are being built, Daewoo is next...:thumbs:

IMHO...I think a Chevy Nomad will show up when Convertible sales slump..:D

btw KAPPA is the platform

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Pontiac
Saturn
I hear maybe Opel.

There is the Solstice, the SKY, and the Opel GT (basically a SKY RedLine modified for European export). They are models based off of the platform, called Kappa.

Dunno where you heard that the Solstice is getting some chevy engine, but you are prolly misinformed. If you read in the Solstice Book, Lutz states unequivocally that the platform (Kappa) is built and designed around the ecotec family inline 4.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=393692&postcount=9

Besides, what you call a "chevy" engine isn't really a 'chevy' engine anymore.

Moving thread to the rumors section.

·
Registered
143 Posts
my opinion would be if chevy was awarded a kappa.. they would probably end up putting a chevy front and rear on a solstice..

it would be alot cheaper on GM to do that.. i mean the Opel got the sky and put their logos on it.. (woot) and the sol has the pontiac grills in the bumper.. so i would assume they would change the bumper and make it a chevy.. same motor.. same errthang.. as they did with the Torrent and the Equinox..or Cobalt to G5

i would just think that they would spend all that money making another shape of kappa.. it would be the "cooler" thing... but car companies have to build on a budget..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts