Saturn Sky Forum banner

If Saturn dealers jack the price, will you wait to buy your Sky?

• I'll still be first in line to buy one!

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I'll let it rust on the showroom floor first!

Votes: 46 86.8%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If he Saturn dealers jack the price on the Sky will you buy one or wait until the price drops?

·
Registered
148 Posts
rick112 said:
If he Saturn dealers jack the price on the Sky will you buy one or wait until the price drops?
depends how much they'll jack the price....

If they jack it up for more than 10%, I'll wait.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Sky is price high enough already. The materials and construction quality are par at best for the MSRP price. Do you think if you spend $30K or more for this 177 hp roadster it will be worth more than $20k two years later? :mad:

The car is a beautiful new design that has huge curb appeal. Comfort is only what can be expected from a small roadster. In general, most sports car investments do not hold their value for long. There is really nothing exotic about the car that allows it to appreciate in value, unless GM goes bankrupt and production ended in 2006 (buy all you can then). If you end up allowing your emotions get to involved in getting this hot new car now and damn the price, you better be ready to keep it for a long while. Else you will be really upset to see Redlines sitting on dealer lots 2 years from now selling for less than $25K...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
With the new concepts like the challenger etc.,to raise the price in my opinion could be dangerous turn off for some. I love the Sky but I'm not opposed to moving on if pricing gets rediculous ( above MSRP)

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is really nothing exotic about the car that allows it to appreciate in value, unless GM goes bankrupt and production ended in 2006 (buy all you can then).
I've yet to see ANY regular production car that appreciates in value during its production run. The question is rather how much does it depreciate? Reasons for appreciation in the future depend much more on style than mechanicals - how else could one possibly explain the appreciation of the early model Maverick chassied Mustangs? It's all about looks, as can also be seen with the Jaguar XKEs and Austin-Healys, two of the most troubleprone cars ever built. The Saturn Sky gets about as close to exotic as a $20K car can get. Looks always trump mechanicals when it comes to desirability, especially when the vehicle reaches collectable age. Predicting that the Sky will be desirable well into the future is a nobrainer. You can tell just by looking at it, and there's the added benefit that the car handles like a dream and will prove reliable. Even if GM goes bankrupt, it will probably continue to operate as before, just like the airlines, and if by chance it is sold, the new owner won't be crazy enough to kill the Kappa cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
rick112 said:

My dealer has stated they won't charge over MSRP but they ARE going to add window tint and pin striping to all Sky's they recieve for $1140.00. They really didn't mention it until I spoke of my Solstice experience/knowledge with sticker jacking and how I'd be unwilling to pay over MSRP. Not too happy about their like it or lump demeanor, but at least I know what I'm getting into in advance, though I woudn't have (I don't think) if I hadn't brought up the issue upon placing my deposit.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what Saturn pricing has been like in the past. I've been told it's no dicker pricing. That only goes so far. If the cars don't sell the price will come down!

WE are all fretting about nothing at this point. We haven't got cars to look at and we don't know the dealer price because they don't even know how many they are getting (or how many will really be produced).

·
Registered
111 Posts
No Way

I own an Ion 2 and bought it because of Saturn's business model. I understand supply and demand and profit is not a dirty word; but, integrity is a more powerful one.:nono:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a poor mans roadster. If they miss the boat on that they miss the target group they built the car for. It's a nice car but it isn't a Z4.:lol: :grouphug:

·
Registered
250 Posts
SlySky said:
rick112 said:

My dealer has stated they won't charge over MSRP but they ARE going to add window tint and pin striping to all Sky's they recieve for $1140.00. They really didn't mention it until I spoke of my Solstice experience/knowledge with sticker jacking and how I'd be unwilling to pay over MSRP. Not too happy about their like it or lump demeanor, but at least I know what I'm getting into in advance, though I woudn't have (I don't think) if I hadn't brought up the issue upon placing my deposit.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.. you know you can have that done for 100 bucks at a decent tint place.. this is a great way to get theirs without outright saying so..

I may be waiting a while..

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
sky_vue said:
SlySky said:
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.. you know you can have that done for 100 bucks at a decent tint place.. this is a great way to get theirs without outright saying so..

I may be waiting a while..
Rick's price was Canadian, so you'd need to convert that into money before you freak out.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
:lol:

Actually, I was thinking of doing a similar poll, except the choices would be:

-I'll wait, I won't pay for a Sky until I can get it between invoice and MSRP
-I'll wait until I can somehow take advantage of a GM employee price
-I'll only pay up to MSRP, not a cent more!
-I'd pay an extra $500 over MSRP, if the dealership was right and I was well treated
-I'd pay an extra $1000 over MSRP
-I really want a Sky - I'd pay over $2500 above MSRP, so long as I was first in line
-I gotta have one, I'd pay between $2500 and $5000 over MSRP!
-I dream about these cars, I'll pay $5000 or more over MSRP, but I darn well better be first on the block with one...
-I can't live without a Sky, and I'll pay +$10,000 over sticker...

But the overwhelming response so far is "let it rust", so such a poll would be pointless.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hold the phone everyone Sky_Vue it would seem you smashed my quote together with someone elses. BIG MISQUOTE there. I didn't post that stuff about tinting and raising the price by $1140.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This everyone can Quote. I hope the people on this site see the response to this pole and bring it back to the dealerships. This car has a focus group. If I am correct it is those who want an inexpensive and fun roadster (toy) to play with. Raise the price in reaction to a couple of people taking advantage of the popularity of the Solstice on Ebay would be unfair to the rest of us. If the price goes Sky high it would seem many if us will walk away from the car and continue to dream.

Rick :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts