Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: To use a sailing term, I am let down. I have followed this forum for the longest time, just logged on today in order to post. Stopped the other day @ Ponitac dealers, new Red solstice on the lot. Dealer handed me the keys, said take your time, just cant buy it or drive it. Discouraged by the top mechanism, lack of room behind either seat, massive wall of a dashboard in front of me, trunk like a 59 ford skyliner (no room), massive trunk lid, better travel using plastic bags for luggage. There is a reason Saturn has not shown it with the top up, ugly, ugly. Top stowed, zero room. Anything you have with you now has to travel on the floor on the passenger side. Too bad, I really wanted a Sky, but the Sky is like the Pontiac Solstice, as the Camaro was to the Firebird. Lots of buzz on this subject, forum, etc. But the reality is that it is just not what we think it, or want it to be. Oh well, time to look in another direction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:confused: To use a sailing term, I am let down. I have followed this forum for the longest time, just logged on today in order to post. Stopped the other day @ Ponitac dealers, new Red solstice on the lot. Dealer handed me the keys, said take your time, just cant buy it or drive it. Discouraged by the top mechanism, lack of room behind either seat, massive wall of a dashboard in front of me, trunk like a 59 ford skyliner (no room), massive trunk lid, better travel using plastic bags for luggage. There is a reason Saturn has not shown it with the top up, ugly, ugly. Top stowed, zero room. Anything you have with you now has to travel on the floor on the passenger side. Too bad, I really wanted a Sky, but the Sky is like the Pontiac Solstice, as the Camaro was to the Firebird. Lots of buzz on this subject, forum, etc. But the reality is that it is just not what we think it, or want it to be. Oh well, time to look in another direction.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sorry you did not like it. My visual and driving experience of the Solstice leads me to a slightly different conclusion. I whole heartedly agree there is not much trunk space with the top stowed. Top up, there is a fair amount of room. I think enough to getyou through a weekend trip. Top would have to be up on the highway, but after dumping your stuff at the hotel you could then enjoy the top down experience.

The top is what it is, but isn't really that bad. It is still quick and easy to go up and down, and although the two butress attachments are a bit of an added nuisance, especially when putting the top up, the appearance benefits of the clean decklid more than make up for it. At least in my opinion.

I can certainly see where these two items can turn off buyers, but I don't see either as being an overly burdensome difference compared to other cars of this class, such as the MX-5.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the Solstice looks quite good with the top up - for a convertible.
My perceptions are my own. I don't pay any attention to what others tell me they think looks good. How in the world anyone could be surprised by seeing the dash or trunk in person after viewing all of the very good photos that have been around for a long time and hearing the million or so comments about storage space makes me wonder what's going on here. Is this guy that oblivious? Can ANYONE be that oblivious? I really don't think this fellow is
on the up and up. His claimed personal reactions just don't make any logical sense.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I have issues with the roof as well as per my earlier posts. It still needs a little work. I was also worried about storage space.

Please remember that this is a roadster not an SUV. If you are looking to haul the kiddies around this isn't the car for your. I have looked at a Solstice as well. I have to say there is enough room in the trunk with the roof down for a couple of soft side over night bags. All be it small bags.

I hope that Saturn does something with the roof and I also hope there is a removable hard top option for the Sky available soon either from Saturn or from a third party. Although this won't be my everyday car and will be driven with the roof down most of the time.

·
Registered
554 Posts
bluestreak said:
See ya! :D

·
Registered
727 Posts
bluestreak said:
But the reality is that it is just not what we think it, or want it to be. Oh well, time to look in another direction.
Speak for yourself. :cheers: I too have seen the car (Solstice), played with the top, driven the car, and it meets my expectations. If I had my choice, would I change a couple things, add a little trunk space, simplify and improve the top, etc? Sure. But if you are looking for a fun 2 seat roadster at a good price, the Sol meets my expecations.

I suppose it really depends on what everyone'e expectations are, but I am sure there will be plenty of happy Sky owners.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
bluestreak said:
All those complaints you mention are well known, but no mention on how it drives? well this is a driver's car not a minivan... maybe you should look in that direction....

·
Registered
328 Posts
bluestreak said:
It sounds like you need to look at convertibles and not roadsters. Roadsters will not have much room behind the seats and most have little room in the trunk.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Do they make a minivan in a convertable? :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
classic66vair said:
boy you sure wanted to get your point across with two threads on the same subject.....
All those complaints you mention are well known, but no mention on how it drives? well this is a driver's car not a minivan... maybe you should look in that direction....
:cheers:classic66vair:cheers:
Ha Ha, thats hilarious!!

Ha Ha, thats hilarious!!

All those complaints are small peas. Imagine if they had alot more trunk space,.. the Sky would look funny because it would have a big a** rear end! alot of junk in the trunk.

For the "Top Mechanizm" which he's "Discouraged" about. He probably thought it was automatic. Im totally fine with a manual roof myself, im not that lazy.

Also, honestly, do you really need all that cargo room throughout the car? Most people fill it up with junk anyway. Sure you might want to bring a cooler to the beach, but really if you need a big kooler like that, it's probably not just for yourself and there's probably gonna be someone with another car or truck. or even an extra cargo unit that you tow if you really need that junk. I'm sure whenever riding in the passenger seat on a road trip to the beach, you've had to sit a small kooler or bag in between your legs. Would you like to go to the beach in a station wagon with tons of room filled with your friends arguing over who ate all the Dorrito's? Or.. do you want to go in style, causing all heads to turn. Also, at Walmart for about $25 you can get a 13.5 cubic feet cloth storage unit that sits easily on the top of your trunk and folds neatly, fitting in one of the slivers of room in the trunk where nothing else will fit.

ok, im out :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many of the so-called problems mentioned can be found in many cars out on the market today. In my opinion the Sky is meant to driven and enjoyed I am not buying it to haul stuff around. When I need to carry large items I will use my current vehicle or my wife's SUV, that what we got it for, it’s all about planning

The pluses of this car out weigh the minuses, from what we know so far this car will be a lot of fun to own and drive. :cheers:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
Slade said:
Also, honestly, do you really need all that cargo room throughout the car? Most people fill it up with junk anyway.
I've actually been looking forward to the lack of space since I cleaned out my trunk last month. There was so much crap in there for pretty much no reason at all, thanks to my tendency to toss stuff in and forget about it. Won't be a problem next year!

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I hear ya

reedred said:
I've actually been looking forward to the lack of space since I cleaned out my trunk last month. There was so much crap in there for pretty much no reason at all, thanks to my tendency to toss stuff in and forget about it. Won't be a problem next year!
:willy: TELL me about it, my van is always filled with stuff. This car is not for hauling stuff, it is for the enjoyment of driving PERIOD!!!!!!! Blue Ridge Parkway will be over run with us!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Fformula88 said:
few... I was wondering why I was reading double quotes from Classic! :D
i am deleting one so people won;t get so confused then :willy:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Turk said:
Do they make a minivan in a convertable? :D
hmm I bet they can on Overhaulin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lost Sol said:
It sounds like you need to look at convertibles and not roadsters. Roadsters will not have much room behind the seats and most have little room in the trunk.
Touche! Roadsters by nature have little room for extraneous stuff. Go back and look at classic MG's, Triumphs and such. Trunk room? Ha. A common accessory was the luggage rack. It was quite the thing, added by many people who never used it for carrying luggage. Think of them as the equivalent of the ugly wings people are putting on cars these days. The wings, of course, are worse than useless, ineffective until about 80 mph for any kind of downforce. At least the luggage racks were functional (although some were for show only and couldn't be used for carrying luggage because they had no real tiedowns).

Anyway, all that said, it's rotten to have to carry stuff under the passenger's legs and say it's not that bad. Spoken like the driver. That's like minor surgery is surgery that's performed on someone else. A car with NO trunk--such as a Prowler--is a real pain. You can't take a cooler or a picnic basket in that car. What good is that? So much for just the two of you going somewhere.

If you're going to travel in a roadster, either pack light (like a motorcyclist) or ship your luggage ahead via FedEx! :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts