Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone of you "handy" future SKY owners go & check out this installation page for the Kappasphere installation shield & tell me what you think, because to me this looks more complex than the listed SKY screen previously mentioned on our forum. I am highly interested in purchasing one for my SKY, but don't want the glass one & my Sister oredred this one for her SOL & when it came it honestly looks a little tacky not as private & classy as the black screen. Will I have to bolt the screen as well?

http://www.kappasphere.com/products/exterior/accessories/kappashield/installation.jpg

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
From all I have read, The Kappshpere screen looks awsome and works very well. The initial installation takes @ ten minutes but the screen install is very simple after that. I have seen the factory wind screen and they need tot drill holes in the car to install it. Plus, I don't really care for the factory oval - the Kappashpere looks to be made for the car - it matches the curve of the fairings.

JMHO :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

bigdog said:
From all I have read, The Kappshpere screen looks awsome and works very well. The initial installation takes @ ten minutes but the screen install is very simple after that. I have seen the factory wind screen and they need tot drill holes in the car to install it. Plus, I don't really care for the factory oval - the Kappashpere looks to be made for the car - it matches the curve of the fairings.

JMHO :)

thank you

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
My understanding is that the Saturn windscreen like the one made for the Solstice required you to drill holes into the deck of the car just behind the seats. I have read of problems with installation with that product. The problem is alignment. If you screw it up you have 4 holes in your car!

The Kappashield only requires you to remove existing screws from your car. Once you have installed it, you can simply lift the shield out and store it in the supplied bag. Putting it back in place is simple. You just pop it back in from what I have read.

I didn't like the look of the Saturn shield. I will order the Kappa product if I get my car before October!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

rick112 said:
My understanding is that the Saturn windscreen like the one made for the Solstice required you to drill holes into the deck of the car just behind the seats. I have read of problems with installation with that product. The problem is alignment. If you screw it up you have 4 holes in your car!

The Kappashield only requires you to remove existing screws from your car. Once you have installed it, you can simply lift the shield out and store it in the supplied bag. Putting it back in place is simple. You just pop it back in from what I have read.

I didn't like the look of the Saturn shield. I will order the Kappa product if I get my car before October!

When were you told you would be driving your car?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Chloe said:
Could anyone of you "handy" future SKY owners go & check out this installation page for the Kappasphere installation shield & tell me what you think, because to me this looks more complex than the listed SKY screen previously mentioned on our forum. I am highly interested in purchasing one for my SKY, but don't want the glass one & my Sister oredred this one for her SOL & when it came it honestly looks a little tacky not as private & classy as the black screen. Will I have to bolt the screen as well?

http://www.kappasphere.com/products/exterior/accessories/kappashield/installation.jpg

Does anyone know what's the difference between the Kappasphere Windshield (which states the wind screen must be removed if the top is up) and this one:

http://www.allantewindscreen.com/Saturn_Sky.html

Which states that it can be permanently installed (with top up or down)?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Both look better and are cheaper than the factory one...but anyone actually use one. Does it help...will my wife's hair stay in place (ha ha)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
futureskyowner said:
Does anyone know what's the difference between the Kappasphere Windshield (which states the wind screen must be removed if the top is up) and this one:

As noted on the Solstice forum, this screen is a copy of the Kappa screen but with some, minor, mods. It has been said that you can leave the kappa screen up too but it is not recommended due to possible wear on the top and leaks at the trunk seal. These screens are so easy to remove and store that leaving it up might be too big a risk.

·
Registered
192 Posts
ishot3bucks said:
Both look better and are cheaper than the factory one...but anyone actually use one. Does it help...will my wife's hair stay in place (ha ha)
Had a windscreen on my Miata and it made a world of difference. I'm just wondering if they are designing them high enough. Notice the GM unit looks like crap but how high it is. The others really look sharp but are they sacrificing function for looks? I'm thinking ideal would be something in between on height.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
futureskyowner said:

Aside from the issue of possible extra wear & tear on the seals, perhaps Kappa recommends removal of their screen when the top is up because it might be scratched by possible contact with the rear window or the top during raising and lowering. I noticed that the other shield mentioned (which appears to be identical to the Kappa product is size and shape) claims to be made of "Optix, a glass-like thermoplastic" which "will not scratch like Lexan."

Just a guess.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Top up & not driving? Leave it on!

ggccg said:
Aside from the issue of possible extra wear & tear on the seals, perhaps Kappa recommends removal of their screen when the top is up because it might be scratched by possible contact with the rear window or the top during raising and lowering. I noticed that the other shield mentioned (which appears to be identical to the Kappa product is size and shape) claims to be made of "Optix, a glass-like thermoplastic" which "will not scratch like Lexan."

Just a guess.
Kappashield emailed me back a month or so ago that it is no problem at all to put up the top with the shield in place...just don't drive it. That will work great for when I pop into the gym for an hour or want to leave it on at work, but have the top up in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I like the clear screen versus the O.E.M. screen although I will tint it with the rest of the windows. I ordered one and can't wait to install it !! :lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sunny Ragtop said:
Kappashield emailed me back a month or so ago that it is no problem at all to put up the top with the shield in place...just don't drive it. That will work great for when I pop into the gym for an hour or want to leave it on at work, but have the top up in the parking lot.
This is huge!! This was my biggest concern with the Kappashield (which I have already purchased). Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
bigdog said:
As noted on the Solstice forum, this screen is a copy of the Kappa screen but with some, minor, mods. It has been said that you can leave the kappa screen up too but it is not recommended due to possible wear on the top and leaks at the trunk seal. These screens are so easy to remove and store that leaving it up might be too big a risk.

I like the looks and function of the wind screens, but it seems like an easy target for theft. It'll be quite easy for someone to walk by and pull it off while your car is parked with the top down. :mad: I'd like to find a permanent wind shield

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
futureskyowner said:
I like the looks and function of the wind screens, but it seems like an easy target for theft. It'll be quite easy for someone to walk by and pull it off while your car is parked with the top down. :mad: I'd like to find a permanent wind shield
WARNINGThe following posts depicts acts of violence toward SKY/Solstice automobiles - Mental images can be disturbing...
Well I don't see a wind screen as an "easy" target for theft as it has no real value outside of a SKY/Solstice. Now it might be a target of vandalism -- but cut leather, keying etc seem more likely, why would someone check out the car and try to determine if a big piece of clear plastic can come off, when all he/she has to do is spit (Or other bodily fluids) on the driver's seat.:nono:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
WARNINGThe following posts depicts acts of violence toward SKY/Solstice automobiles - Mental images can be disturbing...
Well I don't see a wind screen as an "easy" target for theft as it has no real value outside of a SKY/Solstice. Now it might be a target of vandalism -- but cut leather, keying etc seem more likely, why would someone check out the car and try to determine if a big piece of clear plastic can come off, when all he/she has to do is spit (Or other bodily fluids) on the driver's seat.:nono:
I'm mostly worried about the ol knife thru the top trick. we probably all know someone who has had their top knifed so they could get to the glove box or storage console.
My buddy has a jeep wrangler and after having his top cut twice now, and nothing stolen!!!! ( he doesn't leave anything in the jeep) he now just leaves his doors unlocked. so hopefully they just open the door and after finding nothing to steal, they leave. saves him money in the long run.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
usmc said:
I'm mostly worried about the ol knife thru the top trick. we probably all know someone who has had their top knifed so they could get to the glove box or storage console.
My buddy has a jeep wrangler and after having his top cut twice now, and nothing stolen!!!! ( he doesn't leave anything in the jeep) he now just leaves his doors unlocked. so hopefully they just open the door and after finding nothing to steal, they leave. saves him money in the long run.
The only reason I did not include cutting the roof - is that it would be down for someone to steal - let alone see the wind screen.
Nice thing about the SKY/Sol -- top is GONE when down...:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
futureskyowner said:
Yes, because all those evil Sky and Solstice owners out there just have to have your wind screen. :lol:

·
Registered
438 Posts
usmc said:
I had a jeep wrangler for 7 years...and you are right. NO LOCKS, this was the best defense! They look inside and see nothing!:D and off they go to the next car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts