Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been following these forums intently and spend hours reading all your posts. Hopefully, i put this in the right section but I have a question for those members that may know.

The issues with the door sills bubbling in the middle seem to be fixed by members ordering and installing the Windrestrictor light up door sills. I am sure I cam across posts from members who said they purchased non light up ones from windrestrictor. I don't want to do wiring. I contacted windrestrictor and they informed me they DO NOT make non light up door sills.

Does anyone know where I can can buy non wired door sill covers that would cover and fix that oem bubble issue?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Hello,
I have been following these forums intently and spend hours reading all your posts. Hopefully, i put this in the right section but I have a question for those members that may know.

The issues with the door sills bubbling in the middle seem to be fixed by members ordering and installing the Windrestrictor light up door sills. I am sure I cam across posts from members who said they purchased non light up ones from windrestrictor. I don't want to do wiring. I contacted windrestrictor and they informed me they DO NOT make non light up door sills.

Does anyone know where I can can buy non wired door sill covers that would cover and fix that oem bubble issue?
Is it possible to heat up the door sill to release the metal piece? Maybe slowly in an oven? Or heat up the metal piece itself with a fine torch? Once removed, reshape the metal with a very gentle bow, then carefully reattach it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have read every single post on here and I can see some have done that (although many have crinkled that thin metal).

The easiest fix seems to be the windrestrictor right over top but I don't want to hook up wiring. There must be another door sill company that will.go.right over (like the wind restrictor) hopefully someone has an idea

Thanks

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
You are out of luck.....why don't u purchase the windrestrictor and install it over your door plate and don't do the wiring...it will make a better appearance anyway....but wiring is simple also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Thanks. Yes, I will probably do that. I just really thought I read that others bought the non lightup windrestrictor. Will order and may just get them hooked up.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
The issue with the side sills is the differential expansion of the materials used. The cover plates are thin aluminum that is glued in place. Over time, as temperature fluctuates, the metal part has a different coefficient of expansion and will eventually cause the adhesive to fail in the center. Since the metal is very thin over basically plastic, its a real challenge to get them to reseat.

One alternative is to remove the metal plate and just clean up the area under the mounting point. Either leave it natural or apply some colored film that matches the car. You can have a custom printed strip made for a few $10s of dollars and just cover it that way. A lot less costly than buying the WR sills. Of course I have WR sills on both our kappas so dont use me as an example.

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
You will be very happy when u install the lighted plate....and u will have no problem following the instructions....even u tube has them to view

·
Registered
656 Posts
They have them on eBay and other sites that sell gm parts.
this is for the roadster.
FYI those are the grey painted inserts as opposed to the polished ones. However under the paint is just raw aluminum, they won't be polished, but you can spray Citri-strip on the painted metal insert and wipe if off after about an hour and they look pretty good. If you wanted to polish with a dremel you could or just hit them with some clear coat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts