Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I purchased one of the windscreens from a direct sponsor. I'm very satisfied with the customer service and the craftmanship. I had a few questions to those who may have also bought the screen from Jay.

1) When you put the top up, do you leave it on? I've tried this but it feels like it's pressing against the back window pretty hard and I'm afraid this might cause damage. Also the trunk was VERY hard to shut with the top up.

2) If I shut the trunk with the top down, it is also difficult. While it is suppose to be at first I'm worried that when it gets easier it's actually wearing out the seal on the trunk.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree

Yes, I have had similar problems. I also had the rubber gasket from the trunk to the windscreen oozing out in an ugly way. I was worried that the windscreen pushing so hard on the glass - with the result that the trunk would catch on the canvas below the glass window until I pushed it in would cause the canvas to wear out quickly. I ended up returning the windscreen and Jay was kind enough to refund my money.

To me, it just wasn't worth the problems it was causing - however many here don't seem to have those problems - or it doesn't bother them.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Arn't you supposed to remove the wind screen when you put the top up? I've probably done as much reading on the subject as anyone but I know the Kappasphere screen was designed for easy removal and even came with a bag to store it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ok Get this I was driving down I-275 (in Michigan) And seen a convertible mercedes, it had a windscreen also, but it was made of a kinda of net, or screen material?? I couldn't catch up to it, to ask about it. (I wasn't driving the Viper). Anyways, I would be very interested in that type of windscreen! I am not sure how it attached? :confused: It looked like it was wrapped around the driver and passenger seats?
It definitely did the job, he(driver) was not getting a lot of wind:rolleyes:

Mrsviper
still waiting for my sky
blk/red trim
MrJester said:
Hey everyone,

I purchased one of the windscreens from a direct sponsor. I'm very satisfied with the customer service and the craftmanship. I had a few questions to those who may have also bought the screen from Jay.

1) When you put the top up, do you leave it on? I've tried this but it feels like it's pressing against the back window pretty hard and I'm afraid this might cause damage. Also the trunk was VERY hard to shut with the top up.

2) If I shut the trunk with the top down, it is also difficult. While it is suppose to be at first I'm worried that when it gets easier it's actually wearing out the seal on the trunk.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw a screen type windscreen mounted on a Sky at my dealer. I thought they were all that way unless you order an aftermarket windscreen.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
SkyRae said:
I saw a screen type windscreen mounted on a Sky at my dealer. I thought they were all that way unless you order an aftermarket windscreen.
THATS WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR A SCREEN TYPE...WIND SCREEN. I
ALSO, SOMETHING THATS QUICKLY REMOVEABLE, AND STORED EASILY..:cool: DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH DRILLING HOLES, WORRING ABOUT THE TOP FITTING CORRECTLY...ETC...YA KNOW?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
MrJester said:
Hey everyone,

Any thoughts?
I have Jay's windscreen. I leave it on all the time but have made a modification to prevent any damage to the defroster elements on the rear window. See my post above for a link to that.

I don't find the trunk any more difficult to close with or without the windscreen in place. It takes a good hard slam to close it either way.

Have not had any issues with the trunk lid seals bulging out.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
OME Windscreen

Didn't think I would like the windscreen that Saturn has, but after seeing one installed I will going that route for a couple of reasons.

1. I like the way it looks. Not as gauddy as in the pictures.
2. Tilts forward so it does not come in contact with the rear window.
3. Black mesh, won't reflect light a night.
4. Will only be used when wife is with me. (It's a hair thing.)
5. The way it is attached does'nt look bad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I will take your word for it that it doesn't look as bad as the pictures. It just looks so huge but if you like it then that is all that matters. I like the lower profile of the clear ones. Great looking ride. :thumbs:

·
Registered
42 Posts
windscreen

I ordered the same OEM black net one, I saw it on another car and liked it too. I also saw 1 on an SSR pick up which also helped me decide to get it. Still not sure how it works or if its removable or what but will learn once my car gets here - Steve

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
jay's too

MrJester said:
Hey everyone,

Any thoughts?
so far its been ON bout a month...no problem.. have never heard any vibration and doesn't appear to touch defroster or elements..wondered about seal ? but seems fine too... prolly get the lil spacers if i ever think of'm at home depo - ..snug but no sign of wear ?? ...... leavin it on

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
marklynn70 said:
I will take your word for it that it doesn't look as bad as the pictures. It just looks so huge but if you like it then that is all that matters. I like the lower profile of the clear ones. Great looking ride. :thumbs:
Mark, I know what you mean. The low profile and clear glassdoes look good and has good visability.

I will also be getting the tonneau cover and know that you can not use eather windscreen with the tonneau cover in place. That is not a problem foe me. After seeing the tonneau cover installed at the dealers I don't I don't think the two after market windscreen could be used because where they attach it the same place that the snaps are installed for the tonneau cover.

If anyone has the tonneau cover and eather one of the aftermarket windscreens let me know it I'm wrong about my conclusions.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have to admit the screen style (after seeing it on 3-4 different cars) are -- In my opinion ---------------- FUGLY

They are misshapen. Too big and I feel a vollyball game might break out.
Visions of baby's playpen popped into my head as well

If I need on it will be the clear style... I can invest the 10 seconds to remove it if I don't want it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
fkeillor said:
Didn't think I would like the windscreen that Saturn has, but after seeing one installed I will going that route for a couple of reasons.

1. I like the way it looks. Not as gauddy as in the pictures.
2. Tilts forward so it does not come in contact with the rear window.
3. Black mesh, won't reflect light a night.
4. Will only be used when wife is with me. (It's a hair thing.)
I have the Saturn wind screen and am totally happy with it and actually prefer it. You get used to it quiclky and really would miss it if it somehow went away.

Jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
fkeillor said:

I seem to remember some thread on this forum that was using the stock attachment with a windscreen that looked more like the kappasphere. That approach intrigues me.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
gayager said:
I seem to remember some thread on this forum that was using the stock attachment with a windscreen that looked more like the kappasphere. That approach intrigues me.
I met inov814u a week or so ago and I think his is the one you are talking about. On his Solstice, it uses the GM mounts (the drilled ones) but he made a clear wind screen that uses the mounting holes. It looked great. I'll see if I can find a pic or two. Maybe inov814u will peek in and share?

:D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I found what you might be looking for. Looks great for a DIY job! I can not take any credit - inov814u on the Solstice forum had this one done. Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
bigdog said:
I found what you might be looking for. Looks great for a DIY job! I can not take any credit - inov814u on the Solstice forum had this one done. Hope it helps.

That looks damn cool. great DIY job on that one. :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts