Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass along some info I got from my buddy who has a Solstice. He decided to add a windscreen to his Solsitce and looked at the GM offering as well as a third party offering from Kappa Sphere. The GM offering is invasive (requires drilling holes in the body of the car). The Kappa Sphere offering is self installing and he said it takes about 10-15 minutes and four screws in the trunk (into existing holes). The Kappa windscreen is $95.00. The GM windscreen is a couple of fundres dollars if I recall correctly. Now, I can't speak for the GM windscreen but when I asked if you could leave the Kappa windscreen in place with the top up he said you could, but you'd have it scraping against the rear glass so I'm not sure you'd want to do that. Anyway, since the Sky will have the same basic body, the Kappa windscreen should work as well. Has anyone else heard anything on this topic? Additional info, other options?

Brad

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm glad someone brought this up.
I too was wondering whether the initial vehicles would have a windscreen, which I personally think is not only essential, but a sharp looking piece of gear.
I hope it comes standard on all Skys...
If anyone has any info on this please post it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
bmcneely0 said:
The Kappa windscreen is $95.00. The GM windscreen is a couple of fundres dollars if I recall correctly.
Brad
I Would have to know the current exchange rate between US Dollars and Fundres Dollars before I could make a choice! :D

Seriously, I like the KappaSphere Wind Screen much better, however if I have to unscrew/uninstall it just to put the top up it would become a real pain! :cuss:

·
Registered
246 Posts
richmcc said:
I Would have to know the current exchange rate between US Dollars and Fundres Dollars before I could make a choice! :D

Seriously, I like the KappaSphere Wind Screen much better, however if I have to unscrew/uninstall it just to put the top up it would become a real pain! :cuss:
I believe the Kappa screen is initially installed with replacement of something under the screws inside the deck. After that, you just slide it on and off - no screwdriver.

Is that right??

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Turk said:
I believe the Kappa screen is initially installed with replacement of something under the screws inside the deck. After that, you just slide it on and off - no screwdriver.

Is that right??
That is correct. After initial instalation it takes no time at all to take it back off or back on again. You can leave it in place when putting the roof up but KappaSphere doesn't recommend this since they have not tested long term results of doing this on the shield itslef and the rear window.

The GM windscreen is just plain ugly. I would never want to be seen with it on my car.

·
Registered
328 Posts
brentil said:
The GM windscreen is just plain ugly. I would never want to be seen with it on my car.
:cheers: I hope that they go with a better design for the Sky, because the Sky's "edgy" design would not flow well with the Sol's OEM wind screen. JMHO

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Turk said:

Is that right??
You are correct. It takes about 3 seconds to remove it when putting up the top, and maybe 5 seconds to install it after you put the top down.

:D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
brentil said:
That is correct. After initial instalation it takes no time at all to take it back off or back on again. You can leave it in place when putting the roof up but KappaSphere doesn't recommend this since they have not tested long term results of doing this on the shield itslef and the rear window.
I have the Kappashield and would NOT recommend keeping it in place when you put the top up. There is a limited amount of space between the trunk lid and the silver trim bar. The shield fits in that space, as does part of the top when up. With both in place, you will end up overcompressing the gasket that seals the trunk lid, and this may lead to trunk leaks.

Since the shield is SO easy to remove, I can't imagine why anyone would want to leave it in place with the top up.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
This kind of discussion is very informative. Thanks to the Solstice owners who are stepping up with such valuable info. :thumbs:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Picturs of both please? :) Preferrably on the cars, but I'm curious to see the windscreens either way. TIA!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Kappa Sphere

GM

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
That GM one is ugly...really takes away from the vehicle I think.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
BTW...never having had a convertible before, how does that deflect wind at all? Is there a lot of wind noise right behind your head...only @ highway speeds or cruising around town too?

I drove a Convert Trans Am 30 Anniv edition one weekend when the boss was feeling kind enough to let me borrow it and just ripping around town I did not really notice any wind noise.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Thanks for the photo's. Very nice job on Kappa Sphere's part. I love it. I'm going to have to put them on my wife's favorites so she can order stuff for my Sky next Christmas.

Thanks again for the pic's. I hope that this was a preliminary design and that the actual screen looks better. I'd buy the Kappa screen.

Now I really can't wait... I'm ready to jump outa my skin. I want my car. From what I've read the Bluestone will be produced late in the production run so I'm in the process of choosing another colour. Looks like it'll be the red with the tan roof... or maybe the red with black roof and interior.... NO No wait. How about triple black. Black exterior with black interior and black roof... Hmmmm. I though this was going to be an easy choice. :banghead: :nonod:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Hopefully KappaSphere will do something with the antenna on the Sky as well. :rant:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
the gm one is much taller than the kappashere screen. Does this mean that even if it is uglier than I don't know what, that it may do the job better due to its added height??

I've never owned a convertible either.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you look close, then you will see that not only it is U-G-L-Y ... they will DRILL 2 holes to insert the mounting bracket. :eek: It makes it easier to put on and take off, but it is expensive and ugly. :thumbs:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thank GOD!!

Ugly is one thing but I'd hate Cheap & Ugly :jester:

Oh -- look My SKY has been delivered!! :driving:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
For what it's worth, my Pontiac dealer ordered the GM shield for his personal Solstice, and is now waiting for a replacement for the silver body panel where GM's shield mounts. The installation instructions that came with GM's shield were wrong and the holes ended up being drilled in the wrong location.

He ordered me the Kappashield as a Christmas gift, and after seeing it installed ordered one for himself.

There is some extensive discussion of the Kappashield on the Solstice Forum at:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10377
and
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9876
and
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10349&highlight=kappashield
and
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9827&highlight=kappashield

·
Registered
246 Posts
usmc said:
the gm one is much taller than the kappashere screen. Does this mean that even if it is uglier than I don't know what, that it may do the job better due to its added height??

I've never owned a convertible either.
No - not neccessarily. It all depends how the wind turbulance over the windscreen falls on the back deck and how much moves forward. The Kappasphere may be all that is needed to send the wind upward and back again. I had an R-x7 that used a small screen and it worked wonders. I'm sure KappaSphere has tested this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts