Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which windscreen is everyone getting? I've ordered the factory style, but recently had a look at the Senoff style and I like. Any comments?:confused:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have the Senoff one and truely like it. It's a snap to install and I just put some of the clear bumpers on it so now I don't have to worry about it scratching my window tint.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Mitchell said:
Which windscreen is everyone getting? I've ordered the factory style, but recently had a look at the Senoff style and I like. Any comments?:confused:
This a tough one for me, cuz Iam still deciding :confused: . This is the only after market item I will be purchasing for this car...I would like to keep it stock. I had aftermarket on my past auto's....:D When I am ready(and recieve my sky). I will be checking ALL threads and comparing notes...:willy:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Barry said:
I have the Senoff one and truely like it. It's a snap to install and I just put some of the clear bumpers on it so now I don't have to worry about it scratching my window tint.
Is the Senoff style different than the Kappashere? Could you post a picture of the Senoff?

·
Registered
540 Posts
wt2ga said:
We already have this same thread with great pics. Maybe the mods could combine the threads? :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree with Kappasphere. Highly recommended!

marklynn70 said:
Little Missy is using the SKYShield from Kappasphere.
The Kappashpere windshield is gret. The dealer's windscreen looks horrible and cost considerably more. Kappashpere keeps the classy look of the SKY when in use. Also, there customer service is excellent. I recently had a problem with one of the gaskets so I mentioned this to them and corrected the issue in 3 days.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions. It helped!

·
Registered
476 Posts
skyfan said:
Is the Senoff style different than the Kappashere? Could you post a picture of the Senoff?
The origonal Sky Shield, and the Senoff style Sky shield do differ a little bit.

Our Sky shield comes with bobins that allow you to remove and install the sky sheild without loosening or tightening any screws after initial installation. It is also specificaly designed for the sky and the shape differs from our Kappashield for the solstice to better suite the sky's lines.

Hope this helps.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Side-by-Side Comparison (on the way...)

I have the Senoff windscreen on my SKY right now. I have the KappaSphere windscreen on my fireplace since the SKY is having elective surgery right now. Since the KappaSphere screen arrived while the SKY was away, I haven't had the chance to compare it so the Senoff side-by-side. But I will!

I can say this from observation... The Senoff screen is thicker and less flexible - more of a solid sheet of acrylic than a flexible sheet of plastic. However, the Senoff screen uses the factory screws which as a result are only "partially screwed into place" with the windscreen installed. I didn't really like that. And, when I tried to tighten them a bit more, I ended up cracking the end of the screen and breaking the last section off of it. It's hidden in the trunk so it doesn't look bad, but that just leaves the fourth screw of four at a weird angle.

The KappaSphere bobbin system seems to be a much better way to go. It appears more secure, and I like the fact that there is special hardware included and we don't just use the factory hardware in a way that it was not intended to be used.

Also, the KappaSphere shield being thinner and removable makes me feel better about wedging it in the slot where the top would be when raised. Let's say for the sake of argument that the KappaSphere sheild is only slightly thicker than the canvas roof. If the shield is in the slot with the top down, then it's roughly equivalent to the roof being up in terms of impact on the seals and the fit of the deck lid. The Senoff screen, on the other hand, is thicker and not as easily removable. That means that when the top is down there is something thicker in the slot. With the roof up, you have the normal thickness of the canvas in there plus the added thickness of a thicker-than-canvas shield.

To put it mathematically - let's say that the canvas has a thickness of 1, the KappaSphere shield has a thickness of 1.5 and the Senoff screen has a thickness of 2....

The total measure of "stuff jammed in the slot" for the KappaSphere solution is 1.0 with roof up, and 1.5 with the roof down. In the Senoff approach, the thickness is 2.0 with the roof down and 3.0 with the roof up - much more compression of the rubber seal, greater risk of forcing the deck out of alignment, and much more force required to close the deck lid. You really have to whang it on down - and that can't be good. It might not be bad, but it can't be good.

Soooo... Once again, separation anxiety kicks in. I can only talk about it, I can't illustrate it. But I will later this week. I have both screens, and I can show lots of photos of them and compare how they attach, their thickness, their contour, etc...

All I need is to have my car back. :banghead:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SpecRaceM5 said:
The origonal Sky Shield, and the Senoff style Sky shield do differ a little bit.

Our Sky shield comes with bobins that allow you to remove and install the sky sheild without loosening or tightening any screws after initial installation. It is also specificaly designed for the sky and the shape differs from our Kappashield for the solstice to better suite the sky's lines.

Hope this helps.
That sure helped. I maybe calling you shortly to order one. I just called my dealer to cancel my factory windscreen. I like the rims you have on the silver one. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well in defense of Kappa, the Senoff might put too much stress on the trunks rubber seal might eventually allow unwanted water to enter. Thinner is better in this case. As for the factory windscreen, I cringe every time i drill into that crossmember.. It is a very clean looking installation, but one slip with the drill and its all over :brentil:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just ordered the Senoff. Anybody have it that really likes it, or should I cancel and go with the Kappasphere? I could always go with the easiest option and just cut off all my hair.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Catgirl said:
I just ordered the Senoff. Anybody have it that really likes it, or should I cancel and go with the Kappasphere? I could always go with the easiest option and just cut off all my hair.
No matter what windscreen you get/keep... for the love of god don't cut off all your hair... a mohawk would be ok though. :D

Neil

·
Registered
255 Posts
Neil,
What is your estimate of the shipping time from CA to FL, how do you normally ship the shield?

·
Registered
112 Posts
longwaitlarry said:
Neil,
What is your estimate of the shipping time from CA to FL, how do you normally ship the shield?
We ship FedEx...
- Fedex ground = 4-5 days

Let Brian or I know if you have anymore questions

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
246 Posts
Catgirl said:
No offense to kappashield, but I have the senoff model and it is top notch. The top edge is flame polished and very proffesional looking. It is made of Optix plastic which is a more durable material when it comes to scatching. Lexan I'm very familiar with as I am into sailboats and most hatches use 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch Lexan. Very forgiving as it wont shatter, but very soft material for that reason. I believe the Kappashield is made from this material. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no problem closing the rear trunk with the Senoff shield and neither does my wife! It is a quick firm push just as it is without any shield. The four screws that hold the shield really don't seem to be that involved in the structure back there and I would not worry about them being a bit loose. The screen does press against the back window when the top is up. I am a little concerned with that but will invest in those little clear stick-ons as soon as I get to the store. Senoff also has a chrome strip you can put across the top (someone had pictures here). I opted not to use it - I liked the clean polished look.

I have not seen the Kappashield and cannot give you a comparison. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts