Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having problems with the outside of the windshield fogging up? Doesn't seem to matter what setting the a/c is set at.

·
Registered
154 Posts
cfmsky said:
Is anyone else having problems with the outside of the windshield fogging up? Doesn't seem to matter what setting the a/c is set at.

Try turning the third dial that controls the source of the airflow off any of the defrost settings. The air will come out the dash or below the dash and not onto the windshield & therefor won't fog your windscreen. ( I think )

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Or stop necking while your driving.....Seal9:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've had that happen a few times. Humidity seems to be the cause. Turning all of the air flow to your feet helps reduce the problem.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Outside of all glass constantly fogged up when running my A/C in the rental car on GUAM. At least the windshield has wipers to solve that problem...

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
"Fog"

jdigiant said:
Outside of all glass constantly fogged up when running my A/C in the rental car on GUAM. At least the windshield has wipers to solve that problem...
Condensation on the outside of the windshield generally happens when you have full AC on with the airflow directed to the windshield and the glass gets cold enough to condesnse water out of the air on the outside of the windshield - and yes the windshield wipers will take care of that - at elast until it buils up again - but then the wipers are always there.

Fogging on the inside of the windshield can happen in a variety of circumstances. If the air is not too humid but you use the recirculate setting for the AC you can increase the humidity inside the car relative to the outside. This can happen even if you have the heater on - for example I was once driving in very cold rain/snow mix with so little visibility that traffic was moving very slowly - so needed the heater on to keep the windows clear but also needed the AC running to dehumidify - but since the outside humidty was about 100% it did not work too well - and the heat was to prevent snow/slush from building up outside was enough to make me sweat - which added to the humidty.

Using heater plus AC at the same time can help - using recirculate can help temporarily to increase airflow - but depending on the outside conditions can lead to worse fogging.

Also, I have seen a heater core leaking antifreeze into the interior of a car cause what appeared to be fog on the windshield - and cranking up the heat only made it worse because it put more antifreeze into the air inside the car.

In other words - we would need to know all factors involved to provide any truly useful info specific to your situation - temp outside, humidity outside, speed you are travelling, settings for all related instruments/systems, top up or down, just the driver or also occupant? (for some reason my step daughter always caused the side window next to her to fog even when all other windows were clear. Most days I would only cuase the driver side window to fog if I had just gotten out of the shower and my hair was still wet when I got in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts