Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had the windshield replaced after a rock chip developed into a crack. It's great to have a new crystal clear windshield! I hadn't had the opportunity to drive the car since though so it's just been sitting in the garage. Yesterday I took it out for a spin and noticed a rattle sound coming from the windshield area. Most likely the upper plastic trim area where the sun visors are. As I had gotten rid of 90% of the interior rattles I noticed it fairly quickly. I tried the process of elimination and messed with the sun visors first and it didn't make a difference. Adjusted the mirror and the mirror's wiring, nothing. Then at highway speeds the rattle became more of a higher frequency buzz, before I start pulling things apart has anyone else had a similar experience after a windshield replacement? I'm wondering if if the buzz could be from the windshield cowl, but I've removed and replaced that several times before when doing mechanical work on the car and never had an issue before. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
8,247 Posts
It sounds just like the windshield cowl. Did you remove it for the windshield replacement, or did the installer?

As an easy test, run a strip of tape (I used vinyl electrical tape) along the top of the cowl where it meets the glass to hold them together, then drive the car.

I suspect that one of the cowl clips is broken, or maybe just not engaged with the windshield.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds just like the windshield cowl. Did you remove it for the windshield replacement, or did the installer?

As an easy test, run a strip of tape (I used vinyl electrical tape) along the top of the cowl where it meets the glass to hold them together, then drive the car.

I suspect that one of the cowl clips is broken, or maybe just not engaged with the windshield.
I offered to pull it for the tech, but he said he had the manual to do so. I usually try to stay out of a tradesman's way out of respect whenever I opt to hire one vs doing the job myself. In hindsight I probably should of just done it real quick, again hindsight always being 20/20. After install it did look like it all went back together correctly though, but I should still probably pull the cowl and inspect it and then reinstall it just to rule it out as well as the tape tip.

Thanks John for your feedback, if that doesn't solve the issue I guess I'll start pulling the interior trim next as it does sound like there is a rattle there as well to, but that could also just be the sound traveling like it sometimes has a tendency to do so.

·
Administrator
8,247 Posts
The tape test will take almost no time, and could eliminate the need to remove the cowl, so I really would try that first.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I've also read some folks have had noises caused by air leakage from the rubber surround not fitted back correctly. Maybe look at that second, after John's suggestion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
it IS the rubber trim around the glass vibrating against the glass
simply clean the glass and the area of rubber where it touches glass, with rubbing alcohol and towel.
let dry
then apply double sided foam tape to the area between the rubber and glass
press down firmly together
you are finished
now go enjoy your car again..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had this problem. Drove me nuts for awhile. Turned out to be the rubber strip along the bottom of the windshield. I tried the double sided tape, which didn't work. I wound up using a windshield and glass sealant (Permatex). Worked great.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't had a lot of time as of late to troubleshoot this, so I'm a little slow with a responding back to you who have offered some help.

I did finally pull the cowl and made sure nothing was broken by the Safelite tech. Luckily everything checked out there ok and none of the clips were damaged. I drove around and sure enough about 45 mph the buzz popped back up. I headed home and tried some painters tape to hold the cowl to the windshield. Same results, the buzz is still there at 45 mph. The sound definitely sounds like it's coming from the top of the windshield and the sides so I'm thinking the new rubber trim installed around the windshield is a likely culprit as indicated by @Pinstripe - Pride. The rubber trim is very loose so I can see how it could be catching the wind and creating the buzz. So I guess I need to figure out that next.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had Safelite scheduled to come back out to the house yesterday. Of course I had an important work meeting get pushed to the afternoon from the morning so I asked my wife to talk with the tech and explain what was going on since he was scheduled to show up the same time as the call now. She did her best to explain, but ended up taking him for a quick trip so he could hear the sound. They came back and she texted me there wasn't any sound. So I took a break and stepped away from the call for a just a minute to talk to the tech about the situation. He said he never heard any sound while they were driving. I was pretty amazed that neither of them didn't hear the sound as it's very obvious once you hit around 50 and above and just gets louder the faster you drive. He suggested it could be the cowl wasn't properly installed, but I explained I had already pulled it and reinstalled it to confirm. He was pretty argumentative that there wasn't anything wrong, that wind wouldn't make that sound unless there was an air leak and he already did a water test. He said that his only resolution would be he could pull the new windshield and install another one, but I would have to pay for it. I asked him to call his supervisor to see what could be done under warranty since I promised I wasn't making up the sound while I jumped back on my work call.

My wife met him back at the door after he talked with his supervisor and he proceeded to tell her most likely the car is "older car" and it's just a coincidence that I heard the buzz after the new windshield was installed by them. He also suggested that the car was most likely "supped up" and that's probably what the vibration is. My wife texted me to come back and talk to the guy and of course those statements were never made to me (I did verify he said those statements to her though on the Nest doorbell video), but suggested I take it to their shop and drop it off so they can properly diagnose the sound. I took his business card and set a tentative appointment for about 10 days out.

I of course soon as I got out of the call, jumped in the car and took a quick run up the highway behind our house and sure enough the sound was absolutely there. I hurried back to ask my wife to take a drive with me to make sure I wasn't just loosing my mind. She hopped in and immediately she said that sound never happened while she was driving. But she most definitely heard the sound I was talking about. We also just got back from a 2500 road trip to NASSAM and never had this sound manifest until after the windshield was replaced. I showed her that it couldn't be the engine vibrations because if I raised the RPMs under 50mph the sound wasn't present and it only appeared after 50mph regardless of the engine RPMs. I then decided to do some more diagnosing since the tech wasn't really any help. I taped up the sides and top of the windshield and the sound was still present. I removed the tape and this time tapped the entire length of the cowl and the sound disappeared. So it appears the sound is the cowl buzzing. Previously I only taped a couple places on the cowl and it was still present.

So now that I have singled out that it's the cowl and the tabs that fit under the windshield aren't broken or installed wrong, what's the proper fix? I don't really want to drive around with it tapped. I also don't want to glue it down either in case I need to pull it again for mechanical work.

·
Administrator
8,247 Posts
I have not heard of the buzz happening with an intact and properly installed cowl, so my first thought is that you are missing something.

It is possible that something got warped and is therefore not visible.

Try taping different areas - or untaping different areas - until you localize the problem.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My 2 cents on this subject fwiw-

I too had my windshield replaced after a stone chip caused a crack to develop.
Happens- part of road hazards for our car- that sits lower than most of the cars out there today.

No buzz was ever present before or after the installation of the windshield.
I did not use Safelite as the installer of choice. I used my local body shop.
This repair was done through my insurance company- deductible as a separate third-party claim.

* The claim estimate I used for replacement was refused because the glass company (3rd party) did not like the prices from my body shop.
They wanted it replaced by... Safelite.
I was not convinced that Safelite had done a Sky before- so I asked for proof from the local shop, that they could do this repair.
I never got an answer back to this concern of mine either by the glass insurance company or by Safelite.

3 days later new windshield installed- but not without concerns by me as to a gap between the cowl weatherstrip flushness to the glass surface. I showed this gap to the Body Shop manager, and he agreed with me, as there was no gap when I brought it in for the original estimate after looking at his photos taken.

The installer returned the next day to fix the gap issue. What he did- I'm not sure. Did he reposition the cowl and weatherstrip to fit flush with the glass? I would say no, because I never saw him loosen the cowl to begin with. Did he seal it with a 3M adhesive? Maybe as I saw several tubes of it in his work van.
When I arrived back at the body shop the next day- the gap was gone, the weatherstrip was flush to the glass just like it had been with the OEM windshield.

* A gap left open- 1/4 inch or less, water intrusion to parts unknown, dust, dirt, debris, bugs can collect there.
I searched photos of other Sky's here for any evidence that a gap existed on our car.
None were found.
I then looked at my brother's GM car windshield for any space around the cowl or weatherstrip to the glass.
Again- no gap. The installer never removed the cowl- he popped it loose from the inside after he... took a Sawzall from the inside to remove the factory sealant. It took him 30 second to remove the old windshield.
Cleaned the area, new sealant in place, new windshield installed in about 20 minutes.

I paid the $424.00 bill to my body shop after this 3-day ordeal.
$ 290 for the windshield, $100 in labor, plus supplies & taxes thereof.

* I asked the body shop manger what the cost of a newish Porshe Panamera sitting out in his lot windshield replacement was- I guessed around $2900.00 - 10 times the cost of mine.
He said.. sounds about right to me given the model, make, electronical additives, the quality of the installation and owner anal reaction should the work not be done up to owner expectations.
The dealer would have charged more for this process he told me later.
Oh my- the cost of one little stone can ruin your day.

$100 deductible on my policy were costs, received a rebate check from the 3-party glass insurance company 10 days later for $324.00.
New clear windshield for a Ben Frankin price.
I have heard no buzzing noise since at any speed since this replacement.

One thing I want to note is this- don't follow to closely behind vehicles if you can, especially large pick-ups, RV's, tractor trailers even if they have mud flaps, rain guards in place. Anything with over-sized tires.

Check the surround around your windshield for stone chips- I have at least 3 to the silver portion of my car. We do sit low/lower compared to most cars out there.

Anything kicked up by the tires from the vehicle in front you will most likely be shot in your
direction and smack your windshield. This event happened to me when returning from a vacation trip.
I was distraught for the 2-hour journey home- I went straight to the body shop before I even went home on this trip. Estimate in hand, I was on the phone to my insurance company about 1/2 hour after I got home.

Not sure this story line of my experience helps out the OP with his issue here.
The cowl, the rubber weatherstrip molding to the glass surface, the windshield wiper blades are all suspect to creaks & groans unsavory noises from our car- that can ruin the driver experience.

How do I know our car sits low?
Cause I look up at deer when confronting their presence in my windshield.
The only buzzing sound I hear then- might be coming from my underwear just say'n.

LAC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts